Dealer leaves us in the lurch (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Had a 3 yr damp check last September at Lowdhams where we bought our Knaus motorhome. They found some damp around the rear factory fitted camera and said it is likely a small leak coming from the camera. They applied to Knaus under the 5yr warranty for a repair.

Heard nothing September or October. Phoned up the service manager in November and asked what the problem was. They said Knaus and Hymer are always slow don't worry. I said that I noticed that Lowdhams aren't selling Knaus anymore, could that be a problem, and said they said no.

December still nothing. I phoned again and asked the same questions. The reply was don't worry, they're always slow, it'll get fixed. They also let slip that Lowdhams had asked for a whole new back wall!

January, phoned the after sales manager and discussed it with her. Got the same replies as before. Alarm bells were starting to ring.

February 3rd, exactly 5 months after the damp was found, I got an email from the after sales manager saying that Lowdhams are no longer a Knaus dealer and aren't allowed to do the work. They asked if I knew a Knaus dealer near my home.

Anyone know what my rights are here? Is it reasonable that the rear camera seal failed within 3 years? Is it reasonable that Lowdhams took 5 months to find out they are no longer a Knaus dealer, particularly when I had raised that issue with them twice?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
As you bought the vehicle from lowdenhams they are responsible for the repair. I would ask them if knaus, have accepted the warranty claim and request the claim number. Find a knaus dealer and advise lowdenhams that they are responsi le for the costs, which they can claim from knaus. You can always use a small claims procedure to recover any costs etc.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
dont know what your rights are legally. but i would write a letter / email to Knaus explaining what has happened and ask for their help to identify a repair agent.

ask for confirmation that Lowdens contacted them on your behalf.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this is from Knaus web page.. i would email them..

Warranty / complaint management
What should you do if you have a warranty case or a complaint?
Immediately contact your dealer, stating the vehicle identification number, and let him record the information. Your dealer will then immediately contact our team and clarify everything for you.
Customer service
Monday to Friday: 09.00 - 11.30 a.m.
Monday to Thursday: 01.30 - 03.30 p.m.
Telephone: +49 (0)8583 / 21-999
E-Mail: aftersales@knaustabbert.de

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Know only to well the lack of service at lowdhams at Nottingham trying to deal with there Motorhome service manager ,he has no get up and go everything is blamed on his staff he denies ever receiving any emails or messages passed on to him even when I was stood by the salesman as he sent it. Good prices but unacceptable service.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
German vans normally have a pan European warranty and you should be able to take it to any dealer. However Brit dealers always denigh this and refuse to do the work.
I would contact Knaus, advise them you have been fobbed off by Lowdhams ask them which dealer you should take it to.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As you bought the vehicle from lowdenhams they are responsible for the repair. I would ask them if knaus, have accepted the warranty claim and request the claim number. Find a knaus dealer and advise lowdenhams that they are responsi le for the costs, which they can claim from knaus. You can always use a small claims procedure to recover any costs etc.
I'm not really sure of my rights here. Are Lowdhams legally responsible for the repair or Knaus?

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
German vans normally have a pan European warranty and you should be able to take it to any dealer. However Brit dealers always denigh this and refuse to do the work.
I would contact Knaus, advise them you have been fobbed off by Lowdhams ask them which dealer you should take it to.
Thought about that, but can Knaus force a dealer in the UK to do it, if they are reluctant?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Are they responsible for the warranty though? And will another dealer want to touch this?
Yes
Probably not.

The dealer is fully responsible. I would be sending them a threatening letter. Sort it yourself, get it sorted by another Knaus dealer or see you in court.

It may be that ultimately he has to contact Knaus but then the dealers are completely dodging their obligations.

It may be that Knaus dropped them or they dropped Knaus. It would be interesting to know why.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thought about that, but can Knaus force a dealer in the UK to do it, if they are reluctant?
i doubt knaus have any leverage over lowdhams now they are no longer dealers for knauss but i would still think your contract including warranty is with lowdhams as you have no direct contract with knaus

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is a pan European warranty if the dealer refuses he will be going against the terms of his contract with Knaus.
Might be easier to pop across to Germany you don't get these sort of problems there.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i still think contacting Knaus aftersales is a good next step. but would add that a letter recorded delivery to Lowdens saying something like ....
you are very disappointing with their service ( state why ) that you have been " advised! that your warranty is with them as the selling dealer and would like them to arrange a fix under the warranty cover.

then you got both angles covered in case you need to take it further.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I'm not really sure of my rights here. Are Lowdhams legally responsible for the repair or Knaus?
Lowdenhams are legally responsible as that's where you bought the van from and have the contract with. If they can't carry out the repair under a knaus warranty then they should arrange the repair with another authorised repairer and pay the bill. If they can't arrange the repair then I would contact knaus for their nearest repair centre. It may be that you may have to pay for the repair and claim through the courts for your money back. A solicitors letter to lowdenhams may help to start things moving.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Know only to well the lack of service at lowdhams at Nottingham trying to deal with there Motorhome service manager ,he has no get up and go everything is blamed on his staff he denies ever receiving any emails or messages passed on to him even when I was stood by the salesman as he sent it. Good prices but unacceptable service.
The service manager :eek: One difficult person to deal with.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Maybe play both ends at the same time.

contract is with the dealer, as there responsibility.
knaus what do they advise, what was the agreement for their warrantries, good reputation etc with the dealer when they finished their relationship.

what is knauses advise about next warranty check ... where, with whom, maybe your damp issue is picked up at that damp chevk, with them and the process starts again, but don’t put off pursuing the issue now.

good luck.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had to threaten legal action in writing before Lowdhams Nottingham acted appropriately with us. They just kept fobbing us off, not ringing back, the managers on holiday, all sorts of delaying tactics.
When we bought it it had their three year gold warranty, until we put a claim in and discovered they’d never registered or paid for it.
We also found they were very happy to put claims in to Hymer so they could do warranty work, they replaced our locker door twice because of high moisture readings and wanted to do it a third time before I insisted they locate the cause of the high readings, which turned out to be a slight leak fixed with a bit of sealer.
Thankfully our warranty period is over and we never need to visit them again.
On a positive note, our buying experience was excellent, good price, very good part ex price.

Last edited:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Had a 3 yr damp check last September at Lowdhams where we bought our Knaus motorhome. They found some damp around the rear factory fitted camera and said it is likely a small leak coming from the camera. They applied to Knaus under the 5yr warranty for a repair.

Did you buy it new from Lowdhams three years ago?

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had to threaten legal action in writing before Lowdhams Nottingham acted appropriately with us. They just kept fobbing us off, not ringing back, the managers on holiday, all sorts of delaying tactics.
When bought it it had their three year gold warranty, until we put a claim in and discovered they’d never registered and paid for it.
We also found they were very happy to put claims in to Hymer so they could do warranty work, they replaced our locker door twice because of high moisture readings and wanted to do it a third time before I insisted they locate the cause of the high readings, which turned out to be a slight leak fixed with a bit of sealer.
Thankfully our warranty period is over and we never need to visit them again.
Not surprised by that at all.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
While all this fobbing off has been going on, the damp may have got worse, especially as it's been right through the winter months.
Repair work may now be more extensive.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The problem here is with this sentence,

They asked if I knew a Knaus dealer near my home.

When really what should have been said was this,

We've sent off the file and made an appointment for you to see XYZ who is the nearest Knaus dealer to your home. As you are our customer, we want to see this through to a satisfactory conclusion, so do let us know how you get on and get right back to us in the unlikely event you have any problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
While all this fobbing off has been going on, the damp may have got worse, especially as it's been right through the winter months.
Repair work may now be more extensive.
That's what's concerned me. 5 months is a long time to be finally told they can't fix it.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

We've sent off the file and made an appointment for you to see XYZ who is the nearest Knaus dealer to your home. As you are our customer, we want to see this through to a satisfactory conclusion for you, so do let us know how you get on and get right back to us in the unlikely event you have any problems.

In one!

Ian

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

We've sent off the file and made an appointment for you to see XYZ who is the nearest Knaus dealer to your home. As you are our customer, we want to see this through to a satisfactory conclusion for you, so do let us know how you get on and get right back to us in the unlikely event you have any problems.
That's hit the nail on the head Jim.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I would contact Knuas and explain, see if the claim has actually been put in. ?
We purchased our secondhand Pilote in Germany, and registered it in Spain had a warranty job needed doing, contacted Pilote explained the situation, and they said take it to your nearest dealer, ? I took it to alicante as I had to collect our friends from the airport. ? Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back