Returning calor bottle palavar (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I've just fitted a Gas it refillable bottle into to my MH so have a 6kg Calor Propane to return. I have the contract so should be entitled to around £28 so don't want to just get rid or give away. I looked at the Calor website and it states on there to contact your local Calor Centre and also provides a search tool to your nearest stockist.

This search tool told me I had 3 stockists within 3 miles of my house so thought this should be a straightforward process but was not the case. The first was a garden centre who said they were unable to issue refunds for bottles and had no idea where I could return it to. The second was a MH dealer, on a Sunday with what looked like an inexperienced receptionist who again said they can't issue refunds on contracts and didn't know where I could get one. The third was another MH dealer who also couldn't refund but at least told me where I could.

So that will be a round trip of around 16 miles now to get the refund due, why can they not just allow the companies who can issue contracts to also issue refunds if needed to? One of the places I went to didn't have any 6kgs in stock, you would have thought they would have snatched my hand off!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've just fitted a Gas it refillable bottle into to my MH so have a 6kg Calor Propane to return. I have the contract so should be entitled to around £28 so don't want to just get rid or give away. I looked at the Calor website and it states on there to contact your local Calor Centre and also provides a search tool to your nearest stockist.

This search tool told me I had 3 stockists within 3 miles of my house so thought this should be a straightforward process but was not the case. The first was a garden centre who said they were unable to issue refunds for bottles and had no idea where I could return it to. The second was a MH dealer, on a Sunday with what looked like an inexperienced receptionist who again said they can't issue refunds on contracts and didn't know where I could get one. The third was another MH dealer who also couldn't refund but at least told me where I could.

So that will be a round trip of around 16 miles now to get the refund due, why can they not just allow the companies who can issue contracts to also issue refunds if needed to? One of the places I went to didn't have any 6kgs in stock, you would have thought they would have snatched my hand off!
If it's got some gas in it stick it in the classified ads on here and somebody local may take it off your hands.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I took mine to a regional distributor no contract £14 refund Portsmouth.
Easy phoned them first.
Should have done that I know but it all seemed starightforward following the FAQ advice on the Calor website!

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
If it's got some gas in it stick it in the classified ads on here and somebody local may take it off your hands.
Not a bad shout but I don't think there is much in there to be honest so £28 seems like a lot of money to ask for an empty bottle! I think I will just bite the bullet and take it back on a Saturday morning which is the only chance I will get.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
When I got rid of my bottles a couple of years ago, I was told by more than one place that they would only refund if bottle was originally bought from them
Rang calor and they denied anyone of their retailers would say that 🤷‍♂️

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would expect only official outlets (calor shops) can issue refunds.
Don't think your getting £28 back, it appears to be on a sliding scale and after around 5 years you get nothing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not a bad shout but I don't think there is much in there to be honest so £28 seems like a lot of money to ask for an empty bottle! I think I will just bite the bullet and take it back on a Saturday morning which is the only chance I will get.
You can get empty bottles at the tip for around a fiver.... I reckon your being optomistic getting £28 from anywhere.

Even if full you won't get that.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Advertise it here / Gumtree / Marketplace and you'll have your choice of people wanting to give you cash.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I would expect only official outlets (calor shops) can issue refunds.
Don't think your getting £28 back, it appears to be on a sliding scale and after around 5 years you get nothing.
This is what our agreement said but it's from a few years back (2012?) so possibly changed.
1 year old 70% refund
2 year old 60% refund
3 year old 50% refund
4 year old 45% refund
5 year old 40% refund
6 year old 35% refund
7 years old 30% refund
Over 7 years 25% refund

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
You can get empty bottles at the tip for around a fiver.... I reckon your being optomistic getting £28 from anywhere.

Even if full you won't get that.
I agree, hence why I'm going to take it back and they will give me £28 because I have the contract!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You can get empty bottles at the tip for around a fiver....
Wish I had a fiver for every time I've read that.
Absolutely no chance at my local tip. I once arrived at the 'Metal waste' bay where a chap was throwing away a small dented and split galvanised bird drinker which I reckoned I could mend and use. He said I could have it and as I went to take it from him one of the eagle-eyed operatives intervened and said it wasn't allowed to take something from another person.
I was very surprised to see a T.V. prog where a woman lurked at the tip bays and took stuff to repair and sell.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Wish I had a fiver for every time I've read that.
Absolutely no chance at my local tip. I once arrived at the 'Metal waste' bay where a chap was throwing away a small dented and split galvanised bird drinker which I reckoned I could mend and use. He said I could have it and as I went to take it from him one of the eagle-eyed operatives intervened and said it wasn't allowed to take something from another person.
I was very surprised to see a T.V. prog where a woman lurked at the tip bays and took stuff to repair and sell.
In that tv programme the voice over says the presenter has special permission from the tip and viewers cannot assume they may remove items.

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
This is what our agreement said but it's from a few years back (2012?) so possibly changed.
1 year old 70% refund
2 year old 60% refund
3 year old 50% refund
4 year old 45% refund
5 year old 40% refund
6 year old 35% refund
7 years old 30% refund
Over 7 years 25% refund
Thanks Gellyneck, that's what I am expecting. 70% in the first year and I paid £40. I've decided I will take it back to the main Calor dealer when I'm free next on a Saturday morning. (y)

I just noticed there are 2 for sale in classified for £40 for both and they have gas in so I think I would struggle to get £28 for an empty one! Dealer it is.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A few years ago our local Scout Group tried to reclaim the money on about 15 Calor bottles of various sizes, they still had the original receipt from the 1970's, although the original bottles had been swapped many times.
(Being a Scout Group, they can go through several 15kg bottles in a single week of camping)

No one would give them the money back, so eventually they took the lot to to the local tip and ensured that they all went into the crusher.

15 perfectly good bottles, some only months old, recycled for free just for the metal.

Calor will not give you your deposit back, despite what they promise.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Calor will not give you your deposit back, despite what they promise.
I got a refund back from them on a two year old canister when I switched to Flo-gas. Good few years ago, right enough.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Calor quoted me £7 and I have the original contract form mind you its 17 years old

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Calor quoted me £7 and I have the original contract form mind you its 17 years old
If they are short of cylinders it wouldn't surprise me if they gave a "small" refund to get any age back!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From their website..

"
Can’t find your Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork? Don’t worry, we all misplace things.

We offer £7.50 for each Calor gas bottle that is returned to one of our Calor Centres.** To find your nearest Calor Centre call us on 0800 022 4146, or use our retailer finder tool and apply the 'Calor Centre' filter."

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
You never said it was only a year old.

All the same, it makes it an expensive bottle of gas
No but I did say I was expecting to get £28 back!

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Insists on getting £28 for it and nobody in their right mind will pay that... Even on ebay where almost everything sells.
I don't think you read my original post correctly. I have a contract less than 12 months old so I'm entitled to £28. That's exactly the reason why I'm not trying to sell it, I realise it's too much for someone else to pay. The point I was trying to make is that most of the companies that hire bottles and issue contracts are not able to or choose not to refund contracts, they will only accept bottles given to them for nothing. This is not made clear on the calor website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back