Returning calor bottle palavar (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve been looking out for a 6kg Calor propane bottle with or without gas over the last few weeks. Not that many on offer on Gumtree, Facebook or EBay and none within 100 miles of me 😢.
Last week an empty 6kg Calor propane bottle went on EBay for £67 in Bolton. The going rate at present is around the £40 mark 😳.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
At that sort of price, the couple I kept back as spares for my BBQ will be for sale shortly. A half full 6kg propane and empty 7kg butane, either can be swapped for a new propane (or butane)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I read a week or so ago that there was a huge shortage of gas bottles.
The increase in caravan and motorhome sales plus many more camping breaks have led to Calor running very short of bottles.
Might be worth the OP starting an auction.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
most tips now will not let you take anything out as they are now not tips but recyling centers
i dont know which crusher you found who would crush gas cylinder as most yards will not take them

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Trip to local tip will find loads for free. Sometimes they are still full
That's what I thought at my local tip.
Had a load of rubbish to get rid of so down to the tip.
I intensionally looked for gas bottles when there.

Must have been a hundred assorted but mostly calor Butane in a locked cage in one corner......obviously not for sale.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I’ve been looking out for a 6kg Calor propane bottle with or without gas over the last few weeks. Not that many on offer on Gumtree, Facebook or EBay and none within 100 miles of me 😢.
Last week an empty 6kg Calor propane bottle went on EBay for £67 in Bolton. The going rate at present is around the £40 mark 😳.
Just renewed both my 6kg near Macclesfield said they had about 20 left that was last Monday macc calor gas 01625 502121.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Must have been a hundred assorted but mostly calor Butane in a locked cage in one corner......obviously not for sale.
calor cylinders remain expressly the property of calor ltd You only pay to rent the use of them

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I read a week or so ago that there was a huge shortage of gas bottles.
The increase in caravan and motorhome sales plus many more camping breaks have led to Calor running very short of bottles.
Might be worth the OP starting an auction.

Richard.
I took it back to the main calor centre in the end and got my £29 back but yes, might have got more on ebay!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
calor cylinders remain expressly the property of calor ltd You only pay to rent the use of them
Agreed, but in my opinion Calor couldn't give a monkeys what you do with them.... Sell them, dump them, turn them into log burners.
They already recooped the manufacturing cost of the bottle through the initial rental fee and future overpriced refill costs.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We put 3 on EBay and sold them within minutes - £20 each

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I had two over after fitting gasit to the van, they had been standing around for a couple of years, still looked good. I read that there was a shortage so put them on an auction site 3/4 weeks ago and got £35 each for them.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone near Harrogate or heading up for the show, we have a full 13kg bottle in the garage, no reasonable offer refused.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Our local tip won't gift, sell or take beer tokens for bottles......
Having read here the prices on Calor bottles empty, I think I will let mine go....I've just gone Safefill so I've a full Calor 6kg and one with about 10% in it so I might as well recoup some cash.
When I filled the Safefill bottles at Flogas the nice chap there was shortage of cylinders for them and Calor....they are putting it down to a lot of gas bbq's purchased during lockdown and they are now not expecting them back in for refill until 2022/23....

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just sold two 6kg calor for £50 on FB marketplace, buyer came from Portsmouth area to us in Southampton. One bottle full one empty. Could have sold them a dozen times.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago you couldn't swap a private firm's bottle for a Calor one. Ran out of gas on a trip and we couldn't get a swap. On return the company we got if from no longer do 6.8kg so we have to wait a few days for it to be refilled (bottle is only 2 years old). By the way, a brew made with microwaved water tastes awful!

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I took it back to the main calor centre in the end and got my £29 back but yes, might have got more on ebay!
They said if I didn’t have the original receipt they wouldn’t give me a penny but would very kindly come and collect it for free. 🤣🤣🤣

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Our local tip won't gift, sell or take beer tokens for bottles......
Having read here the prices on Calor bottles empty, I think I will let mine go....I've just gone Safefill so I've a full Calor 6kg and one with about 10% in it so I might as well recoup some cash.
When I filled the Safefill bottles at Flogas the nice chap there was shortage of cylinders for them and Calor....they are putting it down to a lot of gas bbq's purchased during lockdown and they are now not expecting them back in for refill until 2022/23....
Flogas will refill Safefill? I have a spare flogas bottle are they the same as Calor I.e. swapable or refillable? I also have a spare calor blue bottle. I wanted a safefill bottle but have heard refill places are scarce? If flogas refill safefill my problem is solved

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Picked up my non Calor gas bottle refill yesterday, left them with a 6.8kg bottle and came back with a 7.48kg for £20. A bit more gas for the same price, happy days. Should last me this year for staycations but I'll get a Calor before we set off for mainland Europe.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

Must have been a hundred assorted but mostly calor Butane in a locked cage in one corner......obviously not for sale.ay not be for sale officially, but if you have a quiet word nwithbthe right person and some cash you may be lucky, it how we got ours.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Flogas will refill Safefill? I have a spare flogas bottle are they the same as Calor I.e. swapable or refillable? I also have a spare calor blue bottle. I wanted a safefill bottle but have heard refill places are scarce? If flogas refill safefill my problem is solved

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
A few years ago our local Scout Group tried to reclaim the money on about 15 Calor bottles of various sizes, they still had the original receipt from the 1970's, although the original bottles had been swapped many times.
(Being a Scout Group, they can go through several 15kg bottles in a single week of camping)

No one would give them the money back, so eventually they took the lot to to the local tip and ensured that they all went into the crusher.

15 perfectly good bottles, some only months old, recycled for free just for the metal.

Calor will not give you your deposit back, despite what they promise.
They won't be crushing gas bottles at the tip , I get bollocked if I throw the wrong plastic in the hard plastic skip

It'll have gone like this , yeah yeah they'll get crushed when the tip closes , just leave them there

The tips are all franchises and they sell by tender the rights to anything that comes into the tip , the stuff then gets re sold

I know a guy that does it , what gets thrown away, especially when a family is clearing out a house to put on the market is amazing .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It'll have gone like this , yeah yeah they'll get crushed when the tip closes , just leave them there

The tips are all franchises and they sell by tender the rights to anything that comes into the tip , the stuff then gets re sold
According to the Calor delivery driver who delivered our forklift gas bottles the tip is not permitted to crush or sell the bottles as they are owned by Calor (not the user who just rents them) and Calor regularly collects them from the tip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back