Replacing uncomfortable front seats (1 Viewer)

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Hi All

Thinking of replacing seats in our Fiat Ducato for these:

https://tinyurl.com/y9eppklh

Does anybody have any experience of this?

Are they comfortable?

Any advices please

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
youll need to make up brakets to fit those. the ducato seats are taller at the back probably easier to mount something comfy on to the ducato boxes i had sharon/galaxy swivel seats in my self build saab seat are also one that gets put in to vans

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
From when I had a Ducato based coachbuilt, the seat swivels made the seats so high I was peering under the top of the windscreen. The suspension on these probably makes them even taller. If you have an A class then probably no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As Reallytired says, you could as I find in our van, be looking almost straight at the sun blind. Our van is a Dethhleffs Advantage but owing to the Electrobloc and batteries under the seat in addition to the Captains rotating mechanism which is not designed for the original van, I am sitting a bit too high in the seat for an ideal view.
As an alternative, you could have the present seat re-upholstered. Not cheap but neither are new seats.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Had same seats years ago in my 4x4 a nice seat and adjustable to your weight,but you will have to remove the fiat seat base as they are tall advice you measure carefully before buying them

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Thanks to all for the cautions - much appreciated

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can I ask what seats you have - and what model year of van?

I've got a 61 plate Pug Boxer with the fully adjustable seats - the passenger one was from a Ducato (original passenger seat was a double) They give adjustment fore & aft, recline, tilt up & down at front & rear plus lumber support.

I understand that some of the vans come with just fore & aft and recline adjustment

I had them covered in beatable vinyl by a local company (Bentley stitched, 'cos I think it looks nice!) and have driven 565 miles non-stop and would have carried on, but needed fuel.

They fit by just undoing/doing up 2 bolts & one connector and are readily available from PVC converters, who normally install grotty beige seats as replacements!

I paid £300 for mine (it was still in the original plastic) and that price included a brand new swivel base.

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

I've got a 61 plate Pug Boxer with the fully adjustable seats - the passenger one was from a Ducato (original passenger seat was a double) They give adjustment fore & aft, recline, tilt up & down at front & rear plus lumber support.

I understand that some of the vans come with just fore & aft and recline adjustment

I had them covered in beatable vinyl by a local company (Bentley stitched, 'cos I think it looks nice!) and have driven 565 miles non-stop and would have carried on, but needed fuel.

They fit by just undoing/doing up 2 bolts & one connector and are readily available from PVC converters, who normally install grotty beige seats as replacements!

I paid £300 for mine (it was still in the original plastic) and that price included a brand new swivel base.

Hi thanks for reply

Fiat Ducato MWB 2016. Driver seat is great but double passenger leans forward a little v uncomfortable. Greatly surprised there's no adjustment for it.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The ducato/boxer/relay SINGLE passenger seat will bolt straight in to replace the double seat - if that's what you want to do

Make sure you buy the fully adjustable single seat - plenty on ebay, gumtree etc. last time I looked.

It also makes the van 'walk though' and, rather than changing the V5 keep it as a 3 seater, as it takes a few minutes to put the double back in.....

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
The ducato/boxer/relay SINGLE passenger seat will bolt straight in to replace the double seat - if that's what you want to do

Make sure you buy the fully adjustable single seat - plenty on ebay, gumtree etc. last time I looked.

It also makes the van 'walk though' and, rather than changing the V5 keep it as a 3 seater, as it takes a few minutes to put the double back in.....

Hope this helps

Thanks, that's very helpful, now have to find a seat and someone who can do it for us.

Are they comfortable?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
It's the same as the drivers seat, with all the adjustments etc., but the levers are on the left side and the arm rest is on the right. It even has the fittings to take the plastic case that holds the jack/wheel brace/tow eye.

If you undo the 2 bolts at the front of the seat, disconnect the wiring connector underneath, the seat slides forward & then out. Easier with 2 people, it's awkward rather than heavy.

The pictures show mine with a swivel base which is an addition, works well with or without it.

IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Am I correct in thinking it literally has two nuts to undo then the seat slides forward and lifts out. Wow! That’s simple if I understand correctly. Thanks a lot

It's the same as the drivers seat, with all the adjustments etc., but the levers are on the left side and the arm rest is on the right. It even has the fittings to take the plastic case that holds the jack/wheel brace/tow eye.
So nuts to undo then it slides forward and out
If you undo the 2 bolts at the front of the seat, disconnect the wiring connector underneath, the seat slides forward & then out. Easier with 2 people, it's awkward rather than heavy.

The pictures show mine with a swivel base which is an addition, works well with or without it.

View attachment 233271 View attachment 233272 View attachment 233273 View attachment 233274 View attachment 233275
So only t

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Yep 2 bolts at the front - I used a 16mm socket, but an offset ring spanner may work

Plus the wiring - a connector for the seat belt warning

As I posted earlier, lifting out the old one (double) can be done by yourself, but I recommend a helper as it's a bit awkward

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Yep 2 bolts at the front - I used a 16mm socket, but an offset ring spanner may work

Plus the wiring - a connector for the seat belt warning

As I posted earlier, lifting out the old one (double) can be done by yourself, but I recommend a helper as it's a bit awkward

Just one other thing please. Your swivel s at fixture looks good. Is there any rocking with it and do you have to lift the recliner to turn it around

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My swivel is a CTA swivel - they do make the seat a couple of inches higher.

There is no rocking.

When mine is in the standard position facing forward, it will swivel without adjusting it. If, when swivelled, I recline in it, a bit of adjustment may be necessary to spin it back round as it touches the door.

I have a disabled friend who finds it easier to go into the van via the sliding door and sit in the seat, I then rotate her & the seat to face forward. Works for my old Mum as well. The seat 'locks' into position when facing forward, momentarily pressing a red lever (between the occupants legs) allows the seat to swivel.

If you are going for the swivels, fit them before you install the seat - not necessary, just easier.

Make sure you double check your seats have the same fitting as mine and the one you buy is the correct one before purchase!

My seat recovering was done by a local firm near Swansea for less money than buying covers!

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

There is no rocking.

When mine is in the standard position facing forward, it will swivel without adjusting it. If, when swivelled, I recline in it, a bit of adjustment may be necessary to spin it back round as it touches the door.

I have a disabled friend who finds it easier to go into the van via the sliding door and sit in the seat, I then rotate her & the seat to face forward. Works for my old Mum as well. The seat 'locks' into position when facing forward, momentarily pressing a red lever (between the occupants legs) allows the seat to swivel.

If you are going for the swivels, fit them before you install the seat - not necessary, just easier.

Make sure you double check your seats have the same fitting as mine and the one you buy is the correct one before purchase!

My seat recovering was done by a local firm near Swansea for less money than buying covers!

Thanks again. We've just bought what seemed to be the only one available brand new on the internet. Described as suitable for a Ducato. Looks the right fit so here's hoping. Good point about easier for disabled.

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003

There is no rocking.

Job done and thanks for your help. I almost asked a garage to do it but my wife helped and it was fine. Seat has no up and down levers but wife is happy with recliner and lumbar a bit stiff on it. Reasonably comfortable feels a little smaller than the driver's

Very interested in the hand-made seat covers. Is the material good and thick and are they a good fit - no sagging?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!!

Well done on fitting the seat.

My seats were professionally recovered by a local firm:

Automotive Leather Interiors Ltd
4 Worcester Ct. Llansamlet, Swansea SA7 9FD
+44 1792 795423

The pictures I posted previously were taken recently, 2 years/20,000 miles after there were done.

Still looking good as the day they were done. Easy to look after, as instructed by Automotive Leather Interiors, I just wipe them with a baby wipe occasionally.

Cost, at the time was £180 - way better than slip on covers from Amazon/ebay

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!!

Well done on fitting the seat.

My seats were professionally recovered by a local firm:

Automotive Leather Interiors Ltd
4 Worcester Ct. Llansamlet, Swansea SA7 9FD
+44 1792 795423

The pictures I posted previously were taken recently, 2 years/20,000 miles after there were done.

Still looking good as the day they were done. Easy to look after, as instructed by Automotive Leather Interiors, I just wipe them with a baby wipe occasionally.

Cost, at the time was £180 - way better than slip on covers from Amazon/ebay

Thanks, I'll give them a ring, we're going to Wales in the next couple of months. Looked at ones on eBay for £80-ish each but uncertain of the quality. We had four seat and back cushions made up by an upholsterer and landed up with a £400 bill, they're very nice tailor made with cut-out for one backrest but hellish expensive I thought

Great help thank you very much from us both now if I can find a decent garage to do my service we're set.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
My front drivers seat was awful. Material scrunched up now protection. Very hard and uncomfortable.
Reupholstred and now as new very comfortable now

aidanmur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp

Can I ask where you got the seat from? Trying to source one here for my Citroen Relay, just stated the conversion before covid hit, so things have slowed now! Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back