Replacing a (maybe) shaver socket with a double USB socket (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Hello,
I have this socket in a cupboard in the van. I'm not sure what its for, maybe a shaver. Is it possible it could be replaced with a double USB socket?
I need something for charging my camera, phone iPad etc. on 12v, as I'm not often on hook up, and have solar power.
What would need to happen?
Thanks,
Lorraine x

0-6.jpeg

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
They are a generic 12v socket that you can plug a matching plug into.

I bought a couple of the plugs and put my own sockets on a trailing lead (USB and car accessory) to make an extension.

Not all 12v appliances can be used from a USB socket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That is a 12v sockets as found in most caravans. All you need is a 12v plug to cigar type socket adapter then use the same lead you would use in the cab or in a car. Yes you can fit a USB charging socket to the wires behind that socket. But it will be constantly live and drain the battery slowly. Plus most of the 12v USB sockets available from china fail very quickly, some by catching fire

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Thank you for the responses. I do like the look of the sockets suggested by ambulancekidd and thank you LesW for the info about 12v appliances and USB sockets. I now know that applies to my MacBook. Taking everything into account, I’m thinking the adaptor and lead solution suggested by Les and TheBig1 would be the most suitable.

lorraine

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Thank you for the responses. I do like the look of the sockets suggested by ambulancekidd and thank you LesW for the info about 12v appliances and USB sockets. I now know that applies to my MacBook. Taking everything into account, I’m thinking the adaptor and lead solution suggested by Les and TheBig1 would be the most suitable.

lorraine
I forgot to add a picture to give you an Idea.
20210616_110116.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back