Replacement LED reading downlight ? Whole unit needed!? (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We were just sitting quietly reading when one of the LED reading lights in our 2016 Elddis Motorhome went out. Thought this would just mean replacing a bulb but when I found the handbook it stated..
“ You should not need to replace these long life lights,however should the need arrive please only replace these lights with identical lights which are available from your Elddis retailer” and then...
NOTE: All LED lights can only be replaced with a complete unit and not a replacement bulb” !!!

What! Does that really mean replace the whole light fitting just because the bulb has gone? That sounds expensive and very impractical. What a waste.
Of course it doesn’t help that the dealer is closed for Christmas and the fact we are in Southern Spain. Other than just change the unit for one we don’t use has anyone come across this before, any idea of cost of replacement or is there a more simple and hopefully cheaper solution.
I haven’t checked but would doubt that light fittings were under much more than a 12month warranty.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would assume they mean if one or more of the actual small LED's has failed on a strip then its not really a DIY changable item unless your a dab hand with a real thin soldering iron.. Same applies with the bulb type lights. So change the whole length of strip / bulb.
As for buying off Elddis NICE TRY.. They would only buy them in from somewhere.
If your in Spain have a look in the local "Chinese" shops. :xThumb:

It's only a 12v feed so you just need to get the connection made..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I thought I would try looking this up as we have 4 of these led reading lights. This from Jackson’s leisure says that you need special bulbs rather than standard cheap 12v ones as supply is not stable 12v in MH.
http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/electrical/lighting/
I haven’t found anything yet about replacing the bulbs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your replies. @Riverbankannie ,thanks for the link. I had a quick look at some sites but didn’t get very far. I think the next step is to take the unit off and have a good look at what it says on it ie. any numbers etc. The booklet says the reading lights have a max. bulb rating of 1.2 watts. If we have to buy a complete replacement then it won’t do any harm dissecting the broken one! Will have to wait for daylight now so we can take the thing off.
@tonka went onto Elddis website, they don’t keep or sell anything to the public. Thought I’d have a look at our local dealership where we bought the van. Closed for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year.
Thanks goodness for online help and shops!

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I’m old enough to remember gas mantles. Really dangerous but at least you always had a few spares in the cupboard!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our 2014 Elddis has got standard GU4 bulb downlighters. It came with halogen bulbs in them and I replaced them with LED bulbs, they've worked perfectly for 3 years. If you get good bulbs they have voltage regulators built in.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
When they talk about ‘replacing the whole unit’ I doubt if they mean the whole metal unit in its entirety. They probably mean the glass bit that doesn’t contain a ‘bulb’ as such and therefore has to be changed, complete.

Just like @Richard and Ann I changed all of the halogen reading ‘bulbs’ for LED ones in my 2014 Elddis. I think I got them from a company called Leon Lighting? Getting the semi-circular sprung retaining clips off is a bit of a faff. Grip them with something, otherwise, they bing off (a technical term :D2) and you spend more time hunting for them than changing the ‘bulbs’ !!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When they talk about ‘replacing the whole unit’ I doubt if they mean the whole metal unit in its entirety. They probably mean the glass bit that doesn’t contain a ‘bulb’ as such and therefore has to be changed, complete.

Just like @Richard and Ann I changed all of the halogen reading ‘bulbs’ for LED ones in my 2014 Elddis. I think I got them from a company called Leon Lighting? Getting the semi-circular sprung retaining clips off is a bit of a faff. Grip them with something, otherwise, they bing off (a technical term :D2) and you spend more time hunting for them than changing the ‘bulbs’ !!
I think they do mean change the whole unit I’m afraid. These are not the standard fit GU4 bulbs.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I think they do mean change the whole unit I’m afraid. These are not the standard fit GU4 bulbs.

Ohhhhh! That’s a nuisance. Thanks for that. Well, I learn something every day. Sooooo, are the 2016 new vehicle lamps/units all integral then? Fancy having to replace the whole thing!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The expected life on most led's is about 20 yrs plus of motorhome use so they should last ages but I bet they aren't covered by any warranty. Probably better to stump up for one than get cheaper ones and change them all so they match but annoying they recon you can't get just a bulb.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van kitchen LED lights look like you would have to replace the whole fitting, the toilet ones are the same too. The metal trim round them is really cheap chrome so I'll fit quality lamp holders when they fail.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
After all the help offered by others I thought at least I should update you.
Our van was booked in for its cab service as soon as we returned from Spain in March. We now take it to Rhinoinstalls at Bamber Bridge. Whilst still in Spain I had sent him an e mail asking the question. In short he said, yes whole unit needed and to send a photo of it.
Took our van into him a few days after our return, Had service done & new unit fitted. He had sourced a very similar one for us and fitted it at very little cost.
Really pleased, you have to look twice to see any difference. Great service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back