Removing solar flexi panel (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Is the problem with a flexible panel on a PVC roof is it is unsupported between the ridges? I would have thought they were only suitable for smooth surfaces, either flat or curved, which can fully support them.
I have flexi panel and your right it is unsupported between the ridges, but I think those ridge gaps actual help the panel to remain cooler with air flowing along the gaps between the ridges. Mine has lasted nearly 3 years so far fingers crossed.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I think the windscreen removal cutting wire you have ordered is probably your best bet for removing your duff panel.

I recently fitted a couple of semi flexible panels on our van, but was thinking ahead in case they needed to be removed, plus I wanted ventilation under the panels as they get hot, so I made mounting blocks which I bonded to the roof and then bolted the panels to the mounting blocks.
Might be worth thinking about when you come to fit your replacement panel.

View attachment 407448

View attachment 407451

View attachment 407449
As a cheeky thread drift. I notice you have the Ball type TV Aerial. Do you or anyone else with this aerial have any comments on its performance.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As a cheeky thread drift. I notice you have the Ball type TV Aerial. Do you or anyone else with this aerial have any comments on its performance.

It's a Ballade SuperGain and a few other Funsters are using one, some with more success than others.
Works okay for us and I bought it as it popular with the boating and canal fraternity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bob.T1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
COACH BUILT
Exp
Since 2009
After lots of hassel with wire cutters that only ripped my hands apart, scrapers and various knives I think I've found the most efficient tool. I ground the teeth off an old hard point panel saw, put a cutting edge down one side and on the end. Then with wedges to put stikaflex under tension the saw blade lubricated with soapy water easily cut through the vast amount of stuff I had used to make sure panel didn't fall off.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Shame you had to remove the the duff panel, it would have made a brilliant base for the new one!!
Mike.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was going to suggest a sharp scraper but youve done it now as someone else has said i would sell the one you have and buy a rigid my son has had 3flexis in just over 4 years they are rubbish

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had two 100w flexible panels on the last panel van conversion for over 4 years and still OK when we sold it, we fitted the same 2 x 100w on this panel van conversion March 2018 still going strong, we are in France at the moment and we left home in Spain early June and spent 10 weeks in the UK this trip had electric hook up twice in total 4 nights only because the cs sites we use and let us on not being members 😉 and had electric being polite rather than needing it. 😁
We have no plans to have electric and should be home about 26th October. 😁
In fact that's how we met Itsmcb on a aire, his hook up wasn't working, and asked if he could use ours. 👍

Maybe the UK doesn't have enough. ☀️ 😁 Bob.

Bob.T1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
COACH BUILT
Exp
Since 2009
Shame you had to remove the the duff panel, it would have made a brilliant base for the new one!!
Mike.
New panel feet would not stand flat and would have been a buger to secure to roof.

iammerlin

Free Member
Sep 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt Burstner
Hi..I spotted a man on U Tube, who said spray WD40 on the sikaflex..let it soak this really helps removal. Ihave just fitted a 150W panel on blocks and havent had to get them off yet!! I agree with other comments, panel on blocks is the best way to go. Good luck:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back