Removing leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi, I have a 2010 Hobby Siesta Exclusive 650. Does anyone know how to get the leisure battery out from under the driver’s seat? Someone told me you have to remove the seat! Surely there’s an easier way. The manual doesn’t tell you. TIA

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi, I have a 2010 Hobby Siesta Exclusive 650. Does anyone know how to get the leisure battery out from under the driver’s seat? Someone told me you have to remove the seat! Surely there’s an easier way. The manual doesn’t tell you. TIA
Not a hobby but a whoosh bang and yes you do need to remove the seat 4 bolts on each corner and lift and yes they are heavy sorry to disappoint you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
Not a hobby but a whoosh bang and yes you do need to remove the seat 4 bolts on each corner and lift and yes they are heavy sorry to disappoint you
Really? How absolutely ridiculous! 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ Thank you for replying

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Really? How absolutely ridiculous! 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ Thank you for replying
I have two one under each seat changed both last year , long story :wink: if you have swivel seats there is a knack to positioning the seat to get to the bolts easily

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
……but, how do you keep the leisure battery charged then without having to keep taking it out. It’s not stored on our drive so there’s no hook-up. Do you just let it go flat when it’s not being used? I’m not getting it! Help!

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Do you have a solar panel? If not get one fitted that will keep the battery charged when not hooked up. Also either have a dual regulator or battery master fitted to keep the cab battery charged.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
As above - or isolate the batteries at the electric control unit???? (not sure what your set up is) If the batteries are not using any power they should last a few months.

How are you managing your starter battery? If you have a alarm then that's the one that is more likely to go flat.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Mechanic changed mine last year without removing the seat. He managed to slide the battery forward without any problems and unbolt the terminals. I have 2014 hobby siesta but they are all basically the same type seats

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
……but, how do you keep the leisure battery charged then without having to keep taking it out. It’s not stored on our drive so there’s no hook-up. Do you just let it go flat when it’s not being used? I’m not getting it! Help!
Put a solar panel on , one of the best things I did, before that travel overnight 1to2 nights off grid move on . Yesterday went out and started the 17year old on first turn of the key only trickle feeding from solar
But mines on drive so do have hook-up if needed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
Do you have a solar panel? If not get one fitted that will keep the battery charged when not hooked up. Also either have a dual regulator or battery master fitted to keep the cab battery charged.
Thank you. Solar panel sounds like a plan. We take it out every so often for a good run so that seems to keep the cab battery charged ok

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
Mechanic changed mine last year without removing the seat. He managed to slide the battery forward without any problems and unbolt the terminals. I have 2014 hobby siesta but they are all basically the same type seats
Ooh that sounds hopeful! Thank you 🙏🏻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
As above - or isolate the batteries at the electric control unit???? (not sure what your set up is) If the batteries are not using any power they should last a few months.

How are you managing your starter battery? If you have a alarm then that's the one that is more likely to go flat.
We forgot to turn the leisure battery off, that’s why it’s flat 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️. We do take it out for a run every so often so the other battery seems ok…so far anyway!

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
Worst case just get a portable solar panel and connect to the battery. I have yet to put solar on mine MH and have a small solar panel which keeps the engine battery charged. I keep mine on the sunny side of the van in storage and it manages to keep the battery charged. I keep it inside and tucked behind the blind. Think mines a 6 or 10 watt which I brought from Halfords.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Disconnected maybe, but removal without removing the seat is not possible.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Worst case just get a portable solar panel and connect to the battery. I have yet to put solar on mine MH and have a small solar panel which keeps the engine battery charged. I keep mine on the sunny side of the van in storage and it manages to keep the battery charged. I keep it inside and tucked behind the blind. Think mines a 6 or 10 watt which I brought from Halfords.
In winter you need, at the very least, a 50w panel.....then it may struggle.
A 10w panel in winter may supply 3 or 4 watts .......thats around ⅓ of an amp. The natural discharge and parasitic loads may amount to 4 or 5 times that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diane taylor
Sep 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Exclusi
Exp
I’m a newbie
Then you didn't have a standard fiat/peugeot seat and base.
Ours is on a Ford chassis but don’t know if that means the seats and bases are Ford

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Haven't looked at ford seat bases so it may be possible.
Also depends upon the battery the new ones that were put into mine measured slightly larger as like for like were no longer manufactured , I also have swivel seats so that may make a differences.
You may have to just try it and see.

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
In winter you need, at the very least, a 50w panel.....then it may struggle.
A 10w panel in winter may supply 3 or 4 watts .......thats around ⅓ of an amp. The natural discharge and parasitic loads may amount to 4 or 5 times that.
It has managed to keep my 2006 old Bessie topped up for the past few weeks 😉

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
It has managed to keep my 2006 old Bessie topped up for the past few weeks 😉
That's because you haven't got all the 'extras' that moderner vans have. 2006 was a good year

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back