maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We'd like to remove the two swivelling captain's chairs in the cab to get at the batteries hidden below. Can anyone explain in simple terms what we need to do to get the chairs off without damaging either them or ourselves? Which bolts to remove first etc? Van is based on a 2010 Ducato. Thank you.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi, im sure if you go on u-tube someone will have posted a video. have a look at fitting seat swivel, it shows how to remove the seat. what I cant understand is why the batteries would be sited with no way to maintain or renew them without removing seats ? also the seats are very heavy watch your back

Reactions: maz

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On my last Ducato.......

Slide the seat right back and undo the two bolts on the front of the seat box Holding the runners
slide the seat right forwards and undo the two bolts INSIDE the seat runner.
the rear ones may or may not be star bolts needing a six point spline driver.

The seats are heavy and cumbersome so take care.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
upload_2015-4-12_21-30-15.png

Found this on Google Images - hope it helps!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Maz, if it is the engine battery you are after I think you will find it under the floor infront of the passenger seat.

If you do remove the seats make sure you take no chances with the air bags which are dangerous if set off.

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
My 2009 fiat doesn't have batteries under front seats, the leisure battery is under rear seat, the van battery is under front floor.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
On my last Ducato.......

Slide the seat right back and undo the two bolts on the front of the seat box Holding the runners

On a similar note, I have a Ducatto, sounds the same. Yes, getting to the battery is not easy..
On my drivers seat (non swivel) there are two leavers on the left hand side with triangular handles that appear to do nothing when pulled up. They seem to be connected towards front and rear respectively but as I say nothing happens when they are operated. Any ideas?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On a similar note, I have a Ducatto, sounds the same. Yes, getting to the battery is not easy..
On my drivers seat (non swivel) there are two leavers on the left hand side with triangular handles that appear to do nothing when pulled up. They seem to be connected towards front and rear respectively but as I say nothing happens when they are operated. Any ideas?
Seat adjusters.

If sat in the seat they do nowt....you need to take SOME weight off the seat and the front or back, depending which lever is pulled (possibly pushed forwards or pulled back) and the seat will raise.
They are light and flimsy which is why they appear to lift up
seat slider should be on the front for fore and aft movement.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
My 2010 seats have a front and rear tilt facility using handles that are on the "outside" of each seat. To tilt back you need to operate the rear lever and push up with your feet and the seat will go back. Similarly by operating the front lever and putting lots of weight on the front of the set it will go down. With both ends pushed down you have lowered the seat and with both up you raise the seat and with either one you have a tilt function for the base of the seat forwards or backwards.

We run with our seats on the high setting so they need effort to do anything to get them lower. If you run with the seats on the low settings then they will pop up if you use the levers.

Of course there may be different models of seat and your handles are just blanks that don't do anything.

Last edited:
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Seat adjusters.

If sat in the seat they do nowt....you need to take SOME weight off the seat and the front or back, depending which lever is pulled (possibly pushed forwards or pulled back) and the seat will raise.
They are light and flimsy which is why they appear to lift up
seat slider should be on the front for fore and aft movement.

Thought that was the case but they don't do anything, even if I'm right off the seat. They seem to only pull upwards but I will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thought that was the case but they don't do anything, even if I'm right off the seat. They seem to only pull upwards but I will try again tomorrow. Thanks.
Use a torch and, as best as you can, look under the seat to see how and which way they should move.
they wont be there for show.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
On my last Ducato.......

Thanks for that, PappaJohn. That's just what I needed to know. :thanks3:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz, if it is the engine battery you are after I think you will find it under the floor infront of the passenger seat.

If you do remove the seats make sure you take no chances with the air bags which are dangerous if set off.

Hi Brian. No, it's the leisure batteries I'm after - I know there is one under each cab seat plus one in an external locker. As you say, the engine battery is under the passenger footwell.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On my last Ducato.......

I do it the other way about to get at the battery under the passenger seat (2003 Ducato).
I side the seat fully forward to get at the rear bolts then back to take off the front bolts. Replacement is a reversal but I only hand tighten the front bolts to allow adjustment for locating the rear bolts. All four bolts are hex key.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thanks for that, PappaJohn. That's just what I needed to know. :thanks3:

Almost sure you will need a #40 star bit, got mine from Halfords, and no! you can buy just the bit, you don't have to buy a complete kit

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Use a torch and, as best as you can, look under the seat to see how and which way they should move.
they wont be there for show.

Sorry to say it, but that's all they are there for!! Each one, front and back is sprung loaded and look as if they would have released the angle of the seat as you say but they are not connected to any release mechanism. I suspect that when the base van (Fiat) was converted and they decided to put the leisure battery under the drivers seat there might have been modifications and these leavers were taken out of use. To be fare, we have had Elle over 10 years now and never needed to make any adjustments so a bit late now!! Thanks for trying to help though...::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry, I cant quite see how it is convenient to have to remove a couple of very heavy seats in order to maintain or replace a battery!
Like many aspects of motorhomes it is a compromise. Having a battery in a locker is convenient for the couple of times a year that it needs to be accessed but it means that the locker can't be used for general storage.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
sorry, I cant quite see how it is convenient to have to remove a couple of very heavy seats in order to maintain or replace a battery!
Most batteries now are maintenance free, i have one battery under each seat saves a lot of well needed storeage.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Having had Autotrails and Burstner based on Fiats getting to the vehicle batteries was always a pain...
Located under passenger footwell...
And skirt lockers taken up with leisure batteries...
I love the new van N-B where all of the batteries and electronic gubbins are in a dedicated space within the garage and can be easily accessed without harm to one's elderly infirmities...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do it the other way about to get at the battery under the passenger seat (2003 Ducato).
I side the seat fully forward to get at the rear bolts then back to take off the front bolts. Replacement is a reversal but I only hand tighten the front bolts to allow adjustment for locating the rear bolts. All four bolts are hex key.
Thanks for that Graham. Hopefully we'll be able to remove the seats one way or another. :Smile:

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
Like many aspects of motorhomes it is a compromise. Having a battery in a locker is convenient for the couple of times a year that it needs to be accessed but it means that the locker can't be used for general storage.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
In my 2010 Fiat Maxi Ducato my hab batteries are in an external locker which despite them being sealed units is where I prefer them to be.

Under the hab seats I have the Fiat toolkit comprising jack, wheelbrace, towing eye etc under the passenger seat and under the drivers seat I have all my vehicle spares kit comprising light bulb sets, fuses, breathalysers etc. These are readily accessible as small hand held units especially if the police want to review what we have on board

To have to remove the seats to get at the hab batteries strikes me as an absolute design abomination.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back