Reluctant convert to waving. (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
On route back from Somerset yesterday we had waves from almost all the oncoming vans, with two exceptions, Two A Class whose manufacturer began with 'H'.
Reminds me of the John Cleese Sketch " I am above him, he of course is below me!"

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
OK firstly I'll own up to not reading all the posts before this one .....

BUT!!!!

How much have you had to shell out to acknowledge another human being enjoying a similar pursuit!

Nowt!

Really?

Can you not be ars*d to say hello!

Can understand at times the driver has their hands full so doesn't acknowledge but the better half generally waves madly at all and every MH.

So much so we have to restrain waving when in the car, says a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
“A single forefinger lifted off the wheel, visible acknowledgement but not excessive.”

I wave (as passenger) but find it difficult sometimes to see if others are waving back. Did it the other day and the little boy sitting in the front of the oncoming motorhome was going mad waving back to me. Made my day! 🤗

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We get lots of waves whilst on the road; but then experience lots of people scampering back into their Vans when on site ... Never really understood the change of attitude myself ... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Perhaps Mrsambulancekidd may have some thoughts or advice? :LOL:

Steve
That made me laugh......
Maybe it's because meeting you is a bit 💥💥💥💥💥💥 :Grin:or in my case :mask::mask: :Grin:and my reaction :oops:

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We have had a couple of these wave at us recently🤣🤣
tempted to get one ourselves😉😉
B6E82ABA-D8FC-4AC2-A6B6-937799992DB0.png

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We get lots of waves whilst on the road; but then experience lots of people scampering back into their Vans when on site ... Never really understood the change of attitude myself ... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Perhaps Mrsambulancekidd may have some thoughts or advice? :LOL:

Steve
I will wave. But please don’t approach. I’m not that friendly.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Coming back from Shrewsbury last week lady in a motorhome ( passenger ) waved with the most massive yellow foam hands , we laughed like drains , classic !
Fab idea - going to Amazon as we speak……………….

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I usually put my hand up but don't actually wave. I'm saving my super duper really excited wave for a van with a Funster sticker on the windscreen. Sadly in 3 and a half years I've never had the opportunity :( :doh:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
One of these p'raps?

Maybe these then..

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
One of these p'raps?

Maybe these then..
🤣🤣

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Bizarrely Yotties and Motorboaters habitually throw a friendly wave when passing at sea but when on the YBW Forum are at each others throats! Strange old world innit! :giggle:

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As an ex Yottie the very thought of waving at a stink boat, nooooooooh:notworthy:
Saw a van in France once with white gloves attached to the wipers, guess they were never used for rain, a quick flick and you got a double hander!

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Wave to me and I'll wave back.
However if we are both in the inside lane of a motorway I probably won't. (Is there an acceptable distance apart to negate the wave??
Oh no, I never wave on a motorway, or even a dual carriageway. Just seems wrong, so far apart!
Also strict discrimination about who to wave at - only motor caravans like ours, not a campervan, they've got their own wavers to keep them happy, certainly not a caravan!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Steve

We’ve obviously never been on the same site! (Member of the NMC).

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’m a waver but my wife puts her head in her hands with embarrassment when I do it.
She loves it when the oncoming Motorhome doesn’t wave back as I’m right pi££Ed off with them, until the next one comes along and waves back and then I cheer.
🤣🤣 the things we do to pass a bit of time whilst behind the wheel.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
There's a huge amount of financia land emotional investment in a motorhome [the 'only 2 weeks till we're off back to France/Spain/Italy in Bertie/Dolly/Brunhilde'] etc and a lot of anticipation of the pleasure to come from the break. There is also a Motorhome 'Community' of kindred spirits, be it the techie knowledge to problem solve, or the inspiration to modify and/or update the Van, so, as far as I am concerned, waving is perfectly natural, as a greeting to a fellow Community Member, followed by the inevitable, 'Nice Van, wonder where they're off too? Poor buggers won't be smiling when they catch up with the back of the queue that we've driven past [usually on the M6] ...'. By which stage, it's time to wave to the next compatriot ... (y) :giggle:

Simple pleasures make life that wee bit more tolerable/pleasant

Steve & Elaine

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Got a Mazda MX5 and every MX5 owner waves !! (At other owners obviously)
Esprit du Corps.
Mitch

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
I usually put my hand up but don't actually wave. I'm saving my super duper really excited wave for a van with a Funster sticker on the windscreen. Sadly in 3 and a half years I've never had the opportunity :( :doh:
Probably cus folks like us don't like stickers on the windscreen (any) so have a piece of Perspex with sticker on that's deployed when camped.

also stickers like National Trust for parking.

Shame really that folks don't wave as MOST Moto homers have a chat and a bit of a laugh when met.

Go on be daring wave!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
My apologies to all PVC owners for not waving first, but you are so difficult to differentiate between a works van and a campervan, the only possible giveaway is maybe a side awning or a rooflight if near enough.
However, when you get a proper motor home, I will always give you some recognition on the road...promise!:LOL:
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back