Reluctant convert to waving. (1 Viewer)

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
By persuasion I am a nonwaver, not really seeing the point. However my wife, who will even wave at people on a train, said I was a grumpy miserable old git, for not waving at fellow Motorhomes travelling in the opposite direction as we tour France.

Alright, I'll be a waver, then. First, what sort of wave? Even with this new-found bonhomie, excited hand-flapping was out, and the regal style seemed just - inappropriate. Raising my extended fingers off the wheel seemed a good approach, but I have adopted the gesture I use to thank or acknowledge other motorists who give way in the narrow roads round where we live. A single forefinger lifted off the wheel, visible acknowledgement but not excessive.

So I put it into action. “That bastard didn't wave!!” And “Nor did that one!” I soon realised that the wave and non-wave cultures were divided about 50:50. The fun then became trying to predict the oncoming MoHo's stance. Two points for a correct guess.

However to my shame I accidentally waved at a works van, and then a white van towing a large white caravan with a chimney. Minus 20 for that.

Sometimes I forget. If it was you, sorry.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Not a lot of waving her in France and Spain. Some but not as much as the UK.

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I feel the single forefinger lift off the steering wheel is lazy and disrespectful and has overtones of self entitled arrogance.

(There, getting that out of my system feels better...)
Well!

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
steve buscemi flirting GIF
Nobody waves at me since i got a pvc :cry::cry::cry:

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
On our first couple of trips after we bought our van I was keem waver, much as I was in my callow youth when I drove a Reliant Supervan III when all Reliant owners waved, probably in resigned acceptance that they too had bought heap of junk and empathised with likewise misguided souls.

However, living where I do the van waving did not last much beyond the seemingly 400th van that passed witin an hour leading to severe repetitive strain injury of the shoulder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Wave to me and I'll wave back.
However if we are both in the inside lane of a motorway I probably won't. (Is there an acceptable distance apart to negate the wave??

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We wave but not on a motorway as the opposite van is usually too far away.
I usually forget or just can’t be ar…d and then of course wave at a commercial van or horsebox!
Trouble is it feels like I’m doing a ‘heil Hitler’ as I just lift my arm and thrust my hand forward!
Clop!

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
By persuasion I am a nonwaver, not really seeing the point. However my wife, who will even wave at people on a train, said I was a grumpy miserable old git, for not waving at fellow Motorhomes travelling in the opposite direction as we tour France.

Alright, I'll be a waver, then. First, what sort of wave? Even with this new-found bonhomie, excited hand-flapping was out, and the regal style seemed just - inappropriate. Raising my extended fingers off the wheel seemed a good approach, but I have adopted the gesture I use to thank or acknowledge other motorists who give way in the narrow roads round where we live. A single forefinger lifted off the wheel, visible acknowledgement but not excessive.

So I put it into action. “That bastard didn't wave!!” And “Nor did that one!” I soon realised that the wave and non-wave cultures were divided about 50:50. The fun then became trying to predict the oncoming MoHo's stance. Two points for a correct guess.

However to my shame I accidentally waved at a works van, and then a white van towing a large white caravan with a chimney. Minus 20 for that.

Sometimes I forget. If it was you, sorry.
The single forefinger wave is a Landy wave, usually from the driver of a series3, rather than a defender, and usually from the farming community. It is given grudgingly, but given all the same respect for the vehicle you drive. Not to be confused with a Moho Wave.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
steve buscemi flirting GIF
Nobody waves at me since i got a pvc :cry::cry::cry:
Hubby and I were having this debate the other day having just downsized from a huge A class to a PVC. Previously we would wave and get a bit miffed if we didn't get a wave back, however, not knowing if others normally wave at PVCs, we have decided that we will not be the first to wave - if they wave we'll wave back ...................... unless we see another van like ours and then we'll go completely crazy!

200w.gif

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Wave to me and I'll wave back.
However if we are both in the inside lane of a motorway I probably won't. (Is there an acceptable distance apart to negate the wave??
There's probably an Amazon Chinese-made LED 2m wide screen that scrolls 'H ... E ...L ... L ... O ... in 15cm high red letters from left to right, powered by a solar cell and triggered by a PIR that scans at 2.25m height across a 25m span for motorway greetings. It will have adjustable settings for the 2 lane French autoroute and the ability to alter the text to 'Bon Journée' ... (y):giggle:

Steve

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
There's probably an Amazon Chinese-made LED 2m wide screen that scrolls 'H ... E ...L ... L ... O ... in 15cm high red letters from left to right, powered by a solar cell and triggered by a PIR that scans at 2.25m height across a 25m span for motorway greetings. It will have adjustable settings for the 2 lane French autoroute and the ability to alter the text to 'Bon Journée' ... (y):giggle:

Steve
Please can you post a link? :ROFLMAO:

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I am a waver, but if I don’t get a response, then the 1 finger wave changes to 2 fingers 😆

Always wave, and if they don't wave back, I assume that they haven't seen me wave.

Or they are in the middle of a domestic about taking the wrong right turn seven miles back, and why don't he just turn around and start using the signposts not his stupid sat nav, and you never listen to me, and now we are lost, etc.

I do wish that some horsebox vans didn't look so much like motorhomes though...

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We don't usually wave unless it's a British van and were close enough to see that's the case. There's so many MH's around nowadays it's all become a bit tiresome waving all the time. Having said that, we're not unfriendly when we stop. We'll talk to anyone who cares to engage in conversation... which, we've found, is most places.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
My brother delivers for asda ...he says motorhomes are always waving at him

Try working for Morrisons , ambulance drivers wave at you

I had a red doblo van , after 6 months of having postpersons wave at me I thought about getting a sunstrip made, I'm not a f*****g postman

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
As to be expected most Bongo wave at each other like nutters, even to the extent that they still do it when in a car (and they spot you in a Bongo). But dont generally wave at MH, but get confused when we wave when in the Rapido.
ps there is also a special Bongo wave that shouldn't be divulged on an open forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back