Reluctant convert to waving. (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We are more than happy to wave to family, friends and neighbours but why would I to somebody that happens to be in a one of 230,000 Motorhomes in the UK that happen to be passing?
Possibly to a UK plate when aboard or one of the same brands but otherwise…
Maybe a miserable bugger as chucking it down outside. Or just miserable!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
How about we all on this thread and those that join get big foam hands.Then when waving them at other Motorhome's,If there's a big foam hand waving back,its probably a funster.Great way to spot each other on the road.
😁
Like this one, but with a Funster Sticker on the Palm of it?
LES
<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I think you need to take up a hobby
Come on pandas You know you want one, The sun will shine all over your face, when you drive up the ramp of freedom that is the Continent.
Bon Voyage.
LES

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
On route back from Somerset yesterday we had waves from almost all the oncoming vans, with two exceptions, Two A Class whose manufacturer began with 'H'.
Reminds me of the John Cleese Sketch " I am above him, he of course is below me!"
Hymen ? ::bigsmile:

Mar 18, 2021
South East Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Best thing I ever saw on sale in a viz mag years ago - a fake hand (shaped like you would hold a bottle around the neck if you get my drift 😂) which was attached to a spring and a suction cup to stick to a window - the movement of the vehicle causing the said hand to bounce up and down, just as you would do it yourself if so inclined!! 🤣🤣 juvenile humour I know but funny!

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
There’s a funny waving etiquette with motorcycles….

If I ride a sports bike and pull up next to another at the lights, it’s nods and smiles and what not. On my bright yellow 300 Vespa, I am completely ignored. Scooters nod at scooters, cruisers mod/wave at some. Classics are generally friendly. Just like motorhoming, you always tend to wave/wave back at your own.

And earlier this week I realised the same happens with road cyclists. We all tend to wave/nod/smile. However, I was riding my vanmoof ebike, and this chap did everything in his power to avoid any acknowledgment stuck at lights for 30 secs… he even raced me!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My apologies to all PVC owners for not waving first, but you are so difficult to differentiate between a works van and a campervan, the only possible giveaway is maybe a side awning or a rooflight if near enough.
However, when you get a proper motor home, I will always give you some recognition on the road...promise!:LOL:
LES
so do you wave at them funny little VW bed sheds then? 😈😈😈

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
so do you wave at them funny little VW bed sheds then? 😈😈😈
Yes I do, well you have to, especially when they are on the side of the road, broken down. We even had a T2 Bay in the family until the piston went through the block on cold start up.:cry:
LES

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yes I do, well you have to, especially when they are on the side of the road, broken down. We even had a T2 Bay in the family until the piston went through the block on cold start up.:cry:
LES
That’s the only place you see them 🤪

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I waved and pointed to a guy leaving a site , he didn't wave back , hope he noticed his roof hatch was fully up before he got to the motorway
Lucky you didn't get a torrent of abuse which seems common from eedjit drivers these days. I was behind a black vw golf last night ...not a single light showing on the back and it was pitch dark ....i flashed my lights a couple of times....still no lights ...so on approaching a roundabout i drew up alongside gave the horn a toot and mouthing you've no lights pointing to the rear of their car etc ....2 girls in it ..driver started shouting and giving me the v sign and merchant banker hand signals ....then when I opened the window and said " yev nae lights ya glaikit hoor ". She then goes oh sorry .
I flicked her the bird and drove off.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Just arrived today👍
need a trip now to give it a trial wave😉🤣🤣🤣🤣👍
189EED34-4F1E-423F-B2B4-86C21250D4B9.jpeg
Edited to say that Mrs NIgel L has been designated chief waver😉🤣🤣🤣

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
LES
Every clattering aircooled VW that I've heard has sounded like the engine's knackered and the zorst's blowing.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Just home from a trip to Newmarket via the A500, A50, M1 and A14....waved at lots of motorhomes...some returned the wave others did not 🤣.
My 11 year old son was up front as Dad was working and he said "Mum are you going to wave at everyone?" Silly question 😉🤣

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Never wave at A class vans, they’re too snobby and don’t wave at PVC’s either as they’re not real motorhomes and usually pass whenever possible from behind and off up to their normal 80mph journeys.

Don’t wave across dual carriageways or motorways.
However I do flash and wave any real motorhomes coming in the opposite direction and nearly all wave back again.

Took me a while to get SWMBO to play the game and now she’s an avid waver too 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Never wave at A class vans, they’re too snobby and don’t wave at PVC’s either as they’re not real motorhomes and usually pass whenever possible from behind and off up to their normal 80mph journeys.

Don’t wave across dual carriageways or motorways.
However I do flash and wave any real motorhomes coming in the opposite direction and nearly all wave back again.

Took me a while to get SWMBO to play the game and now she’s an avid waver too 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻
Sorry as previously said can be difficult to tell from a standard van until you get a side view by which time too late.

Have to say therefore had a few odd looks from Tesco, Sainsburys and DPD.

BUT

What's it cost?

Does it not give a little lift to an otherwise what can be a tense drive along our unmaintained, overloaded roads filled with kamikaze drivers?

OK OK shall say no more your either in it to win it or not

Mar 18, 2021
South East Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Hey PP Bear,
We've an A Class and there's no way we're snobby, just working class or we were until we retired last year!!:unsure: If I'm driving I'll wave to begin with then I get fed up if there's loads of motorhomes on our journey and don't wave as often so apologies if it was you I didn't wave at, you peasant!! :roflmto: :hi:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back