Refilling Bottles at LPG/Auto Gas stations - OK or not? (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Fitted my new Gaslow bottle today with external fill point. Went to the local Shell to fill up. Interestingly I noticed it says 'no filling of portable gas bottles'. Carried on anyway and no one said anything. Is this an issue at UK garages?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fitted my new Gaslow bottle today with external fill point. Went to the local Shell to fill up. Interestingly I noticed it says 'no filling of portable gas bottles'. Carried on anyway and no one said anything. Is this an issue at UK garages?
It is an issue at some places and is to try to prevent filling of Calor &c bottles which should not be user refilled.
As your Gaslow system is fixed, rather than portable, you should be OK.
In 9 and a half years we have never had our Alugas system challenged.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I think 'portable' means as in lifts boot lid and removes free standing refillable bottle, rather than a refillable cylinder that is replenished via a fixed external filling point. But more knowledgeable/experienced Funsters will be able to quote chapter & verse.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As marchie says they mean someone turning up with an individual gas cylinder and trying to fill it (not professionally fitted outfit with all the safety paraphernalia (we hope!)). We have gaslow and never had a problem at any LPG filling point in UK or in EU.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
As marchie says they mean someone turning up with an individual gas cylinder and trying to fill it (not professionally fitted outfit with all the safety paraphernalia (we hope!)). We have gaslow and never had a problem at any LPG filling point in UK or in EU.
I had a problem refilling at Morrisons, but that down to my ineptitude and inexperience, culminating in the Kiosk Staff Member shouting over the tannoy that I would need to return the hose to the holster because it had timed out ... And you have to go to the Kiosk to pay for all LPG purchases, so I had to do the 'Walk of Shame'. But I am quite brazen, so was not in the slightest ashamed, I provided the cabaret for the other motorists ... :LOL:

Steve

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Safefill can be removed to be refilled and thus is a portable bottle, isn't it?

Well so can Gaslow in that sense. I must admit I went for Gaslow for the external fill point as it looks less like you are filling a bottle but in essence it is no different.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Filled up our gaslow system with in locker fill point mainly at Shell and a Repsol garages but also at morrisons, never a problem.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Gas cylinders of any type should not be filled over 80% because of various reasons including thermal expansion of the LPG leading to rupture. Ordinary calor-gas type cylinders are filled at a depot by trained personnel. They are not filled beyond the 80% level. They have no method of limiting the fill volume other than the personel training.

Gaslow, Gasit and Safefill cylinders have an internal float valve that cuts off the filling hose when the 80% level is reached. Forecourt staff probably can't recognise a valved cylinder from an unvalved one, so management goes for the failsafe option of banning all cylinders that look vaguely like a standard calor-gas type.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The SafeFill ones say SAFEFILL on them very clearly, which I think is a good idea, although it won't be long before people are selling stick on ones on ebay 🤣

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Out local Calor depot refused to fill my Gaslow system a few years back, their loss, I changed to Flogas for all my workshop gas and might have cut up their cylinders to make wood burners and a charcoal retort. :whistle:

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Out local Calor depot refused to fill my Gaslow system a few years back, their loss, I changed to Flogas for all my workshop gas and might have cut up their cylinders to make wood burners and a charcoal retort. :whistle:
Yes funny how they turn them selves into wood burners and bbq’s

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I always take my safefill bottle in the car and take it from the boot to refill. No one has ever said anything. I usually fill at the same she'll station.
I've ordered another safefill, but as I've got to wait ages for it I've ordered an adapter to fill my spare calor bottle. I'm just going to do it, I can't see them refusing payment if they catch me. I used to refill calor bottles twice a shift when I worked in a factory operating fork lifts, so I can't see how it is less safe than filling a plastic cylinder.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
it I've ordered an adapter to fill my spare calor bottle. I'm just going to do it, I can't see them refusing payment if they catch me.
That is so dangerous.
All refillable battles have a safety valve specify designed to stop you over filling them
How do you know you have not overfilled the calor bottle?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I always take my safefill bottle in the car and take it from the boot to refill. No one has ever said anything. I usually fill at the same she'll station.
I've ordered another safefill, but as I've got to wait ages for it I've ordered an adapter to fill my spare calor bottle. I'm just going to do it, I can't see them refusing payment if they catch me. I used to refill calor bottles twice a shift when I worked in a factory operating fork lifts, so I can't see how it is less safe than filling a plastic cylinder.
The trouble is it you may well get away with it but the next guy coming to fill a safefill bottle may be challenged or refused because some person used an adaptor to fill a calor bottle which is dangerous both to the person and the people around the forecourt filling up.
It's the use of these adaptors which is causing issues at LPG fill stations and resulting in them shutting down or refusing motorhomes the chance to fill legitimately.
But I don't suppose you really care about the consequences as long as you fill your calor bottle.?

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Well so can Gaslow in that sense. I must admit I went for Gaslow for the external fill point as it looks less like you are filling a bottle but in essence it is no different.
I wondered about that. Currently use a 907 bottle, but was considering replacing it with the equivalent Gaslow bottle. Which would need removing from my gas locker to fill. A further reason for my hesitation is that the nearest LPG supplier to me is 35 minutes away, and currently 'out of service' for LPG... So I fear that investing in a refillable cylinder could be a costly error of judgement. I replaced my 907 cylinder a couple of weeks ago (probably part full still) when I had a gas flow problem in the van, so I've got about a year's supply on board presently.

220303IMG_0698-LincsMar22-web.jpg

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
The trouble is it you may well get away with it but the next guy coming to fill a safefill bottle may be challenged or refused because some person used an adaptor to fill a calor bottle which is dangerous both to the person and the people around the forecourt filling up.
It's the use of these adaptors which is causing issues at LPG fill stations and resulting in them shutting down or refusing motorhomes the chance to fill legitimately.
But I don't suppose you really care about the consequences as long as you fill your calor bottle.?
What issues exactly? Why is it more dangerous than a safefill bottle? As I said our company had a large tank from which we filled the forklift bottles every day with no issues, even lying horizontally (the bottle not me).

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
That is really stupid, dangerous & illegal.
But why though? Give me an example. How do they refill them at calor?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
By an accurate weigh scale or a specifically metered connection?
They only fill them to a fixed percentage depending on the size of bottle ---- never full :swear2:
A truck bottle is on its side so it will deliver liquid gas to the engine - you only ever want the gas.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I know nothing about the safety aspect but chatting to the yard man at a main Calor refill centre 40 miles away which I had to go to just before last Christmas (there was none at my local depot) he said every returned cylinder was purged with compressed air to ensure that it was empty of gas, the cylinder valve tested for leaks then pressure tested before refilling with an automatically measured exact amount of gas appropriate to the cylinder size. They then stamped a new alloy neck collar with the date, tare and gross weights. Most were also resprayed.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
What issues exactly? Why is it more dangerous than a safefill bottle? As I said our company had a large tank from which we filled the forklift bottles every day with no issues, even lying horizontally (the bottle not me).
There are no safety devises built into the calor bottles unlike the safefill and gaslow that both have an internal float valve that cuts off at 80% fill level. It is very difficult to overfill these as opposed to a calor type bottle that has no safety float to stop an overfill.it relies on the person filling to have checked the weight of the bottle and to only put in a known volume of lpg . Accidentally overfilling doesn't allow for any expansion of the LPG and can result in spillage and potential bursts.
I think if you do some research the problems of fires at LPG stations are predominantly the result of filling unsafe bottles with similar adaptors.
You must remember that the LPG business undertake lots of health and safety precautions and legislation.I am sure they prohibit the filling of calor type bottles for safety reasons,rather than just because calor doesn't allow it,,but there again you probably know better having filled forklift truck bottles (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back