Refillable Gas -v- Exchange bottle gas (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This is how I had mine open fill close.View attachment 401892View attachment 401893
Yep, I considered that but didn't want to run the risk of a filling station refusing me, which has apparently happened to folk who have had to open a locker to get at their refill fitting.
Refusal when folk have to open lockers doesn't seem common but when abroad where I make 90% of my refills I didn't want to have to argue with pump kiosk persons. I guess you've never had a problem like that so maybe opening a locker is mostly acceptable.

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I see what you say and have heard of this but as you say never myself had a problem,
I have put it down to having the filler point mounted on the bodywork.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Officially not. But the only time I was refused service was on a motorway near Milan. Once we got further South the law was ignored, as long as you had an external filler. In one case the guy on the hose (you are not allowed to self-serve) asked me "engine?" and I said "yes" and he filled it up. After all I have got an engine in my motorhome haven't I? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They didn't even ask me. I was too busy fumbling with the right adapters and getting the right bloody gas! (it would appear there are two types in Italy, and I had to go to a different pump.) I looked a right idiot, obviously hadn't a clue what I was doing, and they didn't give a fig. Clearly, it was nothing to do with the engine or I'd never have got there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 68r
Exp
12 months
Just had these fitted. About £500 all in. Don’t forget to get the brass adapters for different countries.3 of those £45. Had GasLo in my last van....couldn’t do without it. Remember dragging exchange gas bottles in and out of the locker when skiing for many years pre refillable ☹

Are the brass adaptators required to fill up at petrol stations in different countries????
Or am I just being dim?

May 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 68r
Exp
12 months
Sufficiently dim not even ask a question properly anyway 🙄

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes the brass adaptors are for other countries. You should have 3 or 4 depending upon what type of filler you have. If you have the large round filler that is already fitted with a standard UK bayonet fitting, so you will only need the three additional ones that cover all of the European countries. If you have the small square one, that is not fitted with a UK bayonet fitting, so you will need an adaptor for the UK as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are the brass adaptators required to fill up at petrol stations in different countries????
Or am I just being dim?
There are different adaptors.
Holland uses the same one as the UK the bayonet.
Belgium, Germany & Austria use a scew cup.
France & Portugal, Italy & Greece a dished cup.
Spain and newer pumps in Portugal a Euro connector.
I may not be 100% doing it from memory.

Useful info here.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Had mine fitted last week. Gaslow, single 11kg with a pigtail for a spare bottle.
£500 all in.

Filled up at Cobham services on the M25. Easy.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
No sorry, I am not being clear. I have an external gas point for the smaller moho bbq, I am talking about taking out a gas bottle to use on my big bbq in the garden! Seems a bit of a waste to have two different types of gas supply in use.

What can I say? We like bbqs ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:
But there’s nothing better than bbq fuelled by charcoal - well that stuck my chin out!

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
A gas bbq is an outdoor gas griddle not a bbq a charcoal bbq is a BBQ no comparison in cooking skills or flavour 😆😆😆😆

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
A gas bbq is an outdoor gas griddle not a bbq a charcoal bbq is a BBQ no comparison in cooking skills or flavour 😆😆😆😆

But there’s nothing better than bbq fuelled by charcoal - well that stuck my chin out!

Mildly disagree with both of you, because what comes off my outdoor gas powered barbecue BBQ griddle non-charcoaled grill requires astonishing skill, tastes like it has several dozen Michelin stars and requires a lot less cleaning.

Charcoal is for people who like to cook their food to the same flavour, colour and texture as charcoal.

::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Thanks Lenny, I'll be getting a set of adapters.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Don't forget Alugas! When considering weight, and with payload issues many have to, these are by far the lightest refillables that can be 'plumbed' into the van to give a fixed refill point and reduce potential filling difficulties and access cheaper gas.

Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 will talk through the possibilities with you, I ended up fitting a single 14kg Alugas cylinder. That's almost 28L of propane and the cylinder itself only weighs 7.5kg, less than the 8.3kg of a single standard 6kg Calor Propane and not too far short of half that of a 13kg Calor at 13.2kg!

My first fill cost £16.05, 27.2l, whereas a 6kg Calor now costs £23.45 to exchange. I will never willingly go back to exchange cylinders.

Another vote for Alugas from AutoGas 2000 in Thirsk. Chris is incredibly helpful and John the engineer does a great job with the installation. They've got an online shop so you can purchase all the components from there. Alternatively, they have a couple of EHU's so you can book in with the workshop to get the gas cylinders fitted and stay overnight if you need to! Oh, and their prices are great! You can tell that we're big fans but we've had terrific service from them as we're newbies to the wonderful world of motorhoming!!! 😊

[ETA: Apologies for replying to an earlier post on the thread - I hadn't spotted that the discussion had moved on somewhat - sorry! ☹️]

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Another vote for Alugas from AutoGas 2000 in Thirsk. Chris is incredibly helpful and John the engineer does a great job with the installation. They've got an online shop so you can purchase all the components from there. Alternatively, they have a couple of EHU's so you can book in with the workshop to get the gas cylinders fitted and stay overnight if you need to! Oh, and their prices are great! You can tell that we're big fans but we've had terrific service from them as we're newbies to the wonderful world of motorhoming!!! 😊

[ETA: Apologies for replying to an earlier post on the thread - I hadn't spotted that the discussion had moved on somewhat - sorry! ☹]

Once the filler cap is fitted, can you straight swap Gaslow for Alugas or is it an entirely different system? Those Gaslow bottles are certainly heavy!!

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Quick question guys.

If you change from exchange to refillable can you keep your crash sensor

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Had mine fitted last week. Gaslow, single 11kg with a pigtail for a spare bottle.
£500 all in.

Filled up at Cobham services on the M25. Easy.
Much more efficient and cheaper to use LPG refillable but with the introduction of electric vehicles garages offering LPG may become rarer.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi Guys - Another quick question - looking at having refills fitted. narrowed down to three options

Gaslow 2x11kg £550
Alugas 2x11kg £603
Gast it 2x11kg £409

Which is best, and why is there a £250 variance between top and bottom. i am interested in your thoughts and experiences

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
We had the 11kg Alugas fitted by Ian at Motorhome Tech, very reasonable price, due to the installers getting a better discount than Joe Public, would certainly recommend.

Colin

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi Guys - Another quick question - looking at having refills fitted. narrowed down to three options

Gaslow 2x11kg £550
Alugas 2x11kg £603
Gast it 2x11kg £409

Which is best, and why is there a £250 variance between top and bottom. i am interested in your thoughts and experiences

£250??? £194. Unless I’m missing something. Alugas is more money as lighter bottles, but Gasit and Gaslow are same bottles, different hoses I believe.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Don't forget Alugas! When considering weight, and with payload issues many have to, these are by far the lightest refillables that can be 'plumbed' into the van to give a fixed refill point and reduce potential filling difficulties and access cheaper gas.

Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 will talk through the possibilities with you, I ended up fitting a single 14kg Alugas cylinder. That's almost 28L of propane and the cylinder itself only weighs 7.5kg, less than the 8.3kg of a single standard 6kg Calor Propane and not too far short of half that of a 13kg Calor at 13.2kg!

My first fill cost £16.05, 27.2l, whereas a 6kg Calor now costs £23.45 to exchange. I will never willingly go back to exchange cylinders.
Heartily endorse this, in particular the advice to speak to Chris Wise at Autogas 2000. We too had a 14kg Alugas bottle and, apart from failing Truma regulators, this has sorted our gas problems in the U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium and Greece.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We have gaslow fitted its been great up till now, as i said 12 months ago all autogas tanks at shell will be out before dec 2020 and BP are pulling out there tanks as well.Were heading for scotland 21st aug anyone know where we can refill up north have been on lpgfill site there way out of date.

• Thanks
Reactions: TCG
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Twin Gassit 6kg in our MoHo. I did look at the Alugas but for a saving of 8kg over the two bottles the extra cost was not warranted, but I can afford the payload. If I couldn’t then I would have gone Alugas and it would still pay. Save £30-34 to fill up the pair from empty compared against two 6kg exchange bottles. Use it throughout the winter to run heating so save the cost of EHU too. It all counts towards the payback. I have even rigged up an especially long hose from the camper on the drive to my garden bbq, and have paid for the original install easily in the 32months that we have had the van.

• Thanks
Reactions: TCG
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We’ve just fitted 2x11kg with auto change over and external fill point. All delivered to the house £500. From auto additions nationwide Ltd.
Excellent to deal with very good price for r67 bottles. Fitting took about an hour. Very easy apart from drilling that big hole 👍😀

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Much more efficient and cheaper to use LPG refillable but with the introduction of electric vehicles garages offering LPG may become rarer.

true. Both of our local ones have shut down, but several on the M1 still have it and it seemed common in both France and Italy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back