Reduced speed limits in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Waves, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Waves

Waves Funster

Ratings:
    +33
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Another factor in the high death rate might be having all those trees along the road edge , but that probably doesn't register !!

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +4,548
    Hi.
    Blame Napoleon Bonaparte for the trees,but,i love them as they are. We do big mileages on the m/ways in France,to get to where we want to be at m/way speeds,but when we come off of these onto the country roads we ease up (a bit he lied),i don't think the Fiat Prof? would fare well in a coming together at speed with some of those trees,if you are going to hit something,hit something soft and CHEAP!!..
    Tea Bag

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Ratings:
    +1,352
    I have been living and driving in France for just over twenty years. I am not convinced by lowering the speed limit from 90 to 80 KPH is going to make much difference. What would make a difference if the French didn't cut corners. I have seem quiet often people cutting corners on a blind bend and have been on the receiving end where I have had to take action to avoid being hit whilst I am right over on my side of the road. Even HGV's cut corners. It is most noticeable around the countryside. I think people are just lazy or are so used to no one coming the other way that when someone is coming it causes an accident. I now drive with a dash cam to cover myself in the event of an accident. When driving in the UK I might have a near miss maybe once a year. In France its about once a month. Not wishing to sound big headed or imply I am the great I am. When I was in the UK I was a member of the Institute of Advance motorist and also an instructor for both Cars and motor cycles. It seems to be a way of life to cut corners here.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. John de Manche

John de Manche Funster

Ratings:
    +78
    Lived at the opposite side of France to Mikescuba for 13 years (Normandy) and the problem was just the same. It was the way they look at you as if it is your fault for being there that used to annoy me.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +20,992
    Happening far more often in the Uk now.
    When I'm down country lanes with blind left hand bends approaching you just know that if someone's coming they'll cut it so now I just use the air horns all the time.

7. tboy

tboy Funster

Ratings:
    +19
    It seem to be happening here too.

8. MannClan

MannClan Funster

Ratings:
    +417
    have to agree. last year arriving at Carcassonne aire a French motorhome cut the corner and smashed my (English) near side mirror. eventually cost me over 200.00 to sort out. needless to say he didn't stop.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +3,351
    Will they be changing all the sign on the roads affected or just leave them and book you as if you know they are a lower limit. It would bea major undertaking to change every sign for the speed that they have on these N roads .

10. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +4,548
    Hi.
    Its a game,some years back, 4x4.Twin axle Gin palace,place Paris Peripherique? Some working class French upstart cut me up,so it was Eng 0-France 1. By the time i had come off the field(Ring rd) the score was Eng 8-france 5.Cutting corners? I found they all drove on the wrong side,and still do!!. Vive la France...LOVE it.
    Tea Bag

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Ratings:
    +1,352
    I think driving in France is a case of driving with the force. I'm sure come the 1st July the Gendarme will be out there doing there speed checks and building up the funds to the French economy for some ash-le to waste on some project to line the Politicians pockets.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +20,992
    In 2009 at beginning of the crisis they changed all 120kph mway signs to the new 110 limit. then the year after changed them all back. (y):LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +3,351
    Would it be a defence to obey the limit on the sign or is it a fiendish plot to raise money.

14. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +2,503
    This change will require yet another Garmin update. I tend to rely on the satnav to warn me when I start to break the speed limit. Handy "bong" noise and the speed display turns red. The Navigator on the other front seat yells "slow down!" Those pesky Gendarmes will have to point their speed guns at someone else.

15. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,055
    Not actually sure that this new law will come to pass, the enormous problems it will create are nearly boundless. @Mikescuba I agree with you entirely with regards the French cutting corners, mobile phones stuck to their ears, drinking and driving and using the excuse that "well, we live in the countryside .... what can we do"? By far the largest group of offenders are the 60 year old +. We have many French friends and these are the subjects that are discussed frequently why France has such a terrible road record. IF this new law comes to pass, and at the same time the Gendarmes will be clamping down on mobile phones and drink driving (really) then any reductions in road statistics that could be attributed to those clamp downs will, instead, be attributed to the 80kph limit. Another poor sole was killed the other day 10kms from our house in the centre of Cozes, 17120 because the driver coming into the village on a blind bend was completely on the wrong side of the road.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. laneside

laneside Funster

Ratings:
    +6,702
    I think you will find very few 90 signs, they are usually just the ones we used to call end of speed restriction ( white with two black bands across ) which now of course mean national speed limit so not many signs to change.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Ratings:
    +1,352
    My understanding is it comes into effect on the 1st July

18. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,055
    There is still a huge upsurge against it ... remember the in car breathaliser ... that got passed then just withered away. I would say the next few weeks will be interesting

19. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Ratings:
    +1,352
    The breathalyser thing never got to the final approval. My understanding is that the change to the speed limits bill has been approved. But as you have indicated, in France you never know. One can hope. I think after six months there won't be anyone left with a valid driver's license

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,055
    @Mikescuba I am not sure if it has already passed, I was having a beer with a French retired friend and it was he that suggested it would either never get in or would soon after be repealed. I can't see how the French gov are going to find support from any sector, imagine the transport industry within France, 10.25% increase in the time needed to travel a non motorway road. Transport routes already calculated for the 90kph all need extra time. Vehicles would run in a lower gear and probably consume more fuel ceating more pollution .... or am I missing something. Is it by chance that the French gov have taken a leaf out Ryanair's Micheal O'Learys book and simply stirring us up?

• Like it Like it x 1