Reduced speed limits in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Another factor in the high death rate might be having all those trees along the road edge , but that probably doesn't register !!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Another factor in the high death rate might be having all those trees along the road edge , but that probably doesn't register !!
Hi.
Blame Napoleon Bonaparte for the trees,but,i love them as they are. We do big mileages on the m/ways in France,to get to where we want to be at m/way speeds,but when we come off of these onto the country roads we ease up (a bit he lied),i don't think the Fiat Prof? would fare well in a coming together at speed with some of those trees,if you are going to hit something,hit something soft and CHEAP!!..
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have been living and driving in France for just over twenty years. I am not convinced by lowering the speed limit from 90 to 80 KPH is going to make much difference. What would make a difference if the French didn't cut corners. I have seem quiet often people cutting corners on a blind bend and have been on the receiving end where I have had to take action to avoid being hit whilst I am right over on my side of the road. Even HGV's cut corners. It is most noticeable around the countryside. I think people are just lazy or are so used to no one coming the other way that when someone is coming it causes an accident. I now drive with a dash cam to cover myself in the event of an accident. When driving in the UK I might have a near miss maybe once a year. In France its about once a month. Not wishing to sound big headed or imply I am the great I am. When I was in the UK I was a member of the Institute of Advance motorist and also an instructor for both Cars and motor cycles. It seems to be a way of life to cut corners here.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Happening far more often in the Uk now.
When I'm down country lanes with blind left hand bends approaching you just know that if someone's coming they'll cut it so now I just use the air horns all the time.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
... What would make a difference if the French didn't cut corners. ..e.
have to agree. last year arriving at Carcassonne aire a French motorhome cut the corner and smashed my (English) near side mirror. eventually cost me over 200.00 to sort out. needless to say he didn't stop.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Will they be changing all the sign on the roads affected or just leave them and book you as if you know they are a lower limit. It would bea major undertaking to change every sign for the speed that they have on these N roads .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Its a game,some years back, 4x4.Twin axle Gin palace,place Paris Peripherique? Some working class French upstart cut me up,so it was Eng 0-France 1. By the time i had come off the field(Ring rd) the score was Eng 8-france 5.Cutting corners? I found they all drove on the wrong side,and still do!!. Vive la France...LOVE it.
Tea Bag

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Will they be changing all the sign on the roads affected or just leave them and book you as if you know they are a lower limit. It would bea major undertaking to change every sign for the speed that they have on these N roads .

I think driving in France is a case of driving with the force. I'm sure come the 1st July the Gendarme will be out there doing there speed checks and building up the funds to the French economy for some ash-le to waste on some project to line the Politicians pockets.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In 2009 at beginning of the crisis they changed all 120kph mway signs to the new 110 limit. then the year after changed them all back. (y):LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Would it be a defence to obey the limit on the sign or is it a fiendish plot to raise money.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This change will require yet another Garmin update. I tend to rely on the satnav to warn me when I start to break the speed limit. Handy "bong" noise and the speed display turns red. The Navigator on the other front seat yells "slow down!" Those pesky Gendarmes will have to point their speed guns at someone else.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Not actually sure that this new law will come to pass, the enormous problems it will create are nearly boundless. @Mikescuba I agree with you entirely with regards the French cutting corners, mobile phones stuck to their ears, drinking and driving and using the excuse that "well, we live in the countryside .... what can we do"? By far the largest group of offenders are the 60 year old +. We have many French friends and these are the subjects that are discussed frequently why France has such a terrible road record. IF this new law comes to pass, and at the same time the Gendarmes will be clamping down on mobile phones and drink driving (really) then any reductions in road statistics that could be attributed to those clamp downs will, instead, be attributed to the 80kph limit. Another poor sole was killed the other day 10kms from our house in the centre of Cozes, 17120 because the driver coming into the village on a blind bend was completely on the wrong side of the road.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

I think you will find very few 90 signs, they are usually just the ones we used to call end of speed restriction ( white with two black bands across ) which now of course mean national speed limit so not many signs to change.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Not actually sure that this new law will come to pass, the enormous problems it will create are nearly boundless. @Mikescuba I agree with you entirely with regards the French cutting corners, mobile phones stuck to their ears, drinking and driving and using the excuse that "well, we live in the countryside .... what can we do"? By far the largest group of offenders are the 60 year old +. We have many French friends and these are the subjects that are discussed frequently why France has such a terrible road record. IF this new law comes to pass, and at the same time the Gendarmes will be clamping down on mobile phones and drink driving (really) then any reductions in road statistics that could be attributed to those clamp downs will, instead, be attributed to the 80kph limit. Another poor sole was killed the other day 10kms from our house in the centre of Cozes, 17120 because the driver coming into the village on a blind bend was completely on the wrong side of the road.
My understanding is it comes into effect on the 1st July

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
There is still a huge upsurge against it ... remember the in car breathaliser ... that got passed then just withered away. I would say the next few weeks will be interesting

D

DL42846

Deleted User
There is still a huge upsurge against it ... remember the in car breathaliser ... that got passed then just withered away. I would say the next few weeks will be interesting
The breathalyser thing never got to the final approval. My understanding is that the change to the speed limits bill has been approved. But as you have indicated, in France you never know. One can hope. I think after six months there won't be anyone left with a valid driver's license

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Mikescuba I am not sure if it has already passed, I was having a beer with a French retired friend and it was he that suggested it would either never get in or would soon after be repealed. I can't see how the French gov are going to find support from any sector, imagine the transport industry within France, 10.25% increase in the time needed to travel a non motorway road. Transport routes already calculated for the 90kph all need extra time. Vehicles would run in a lower gear and probably consume more fuel ceating more pollution .... or am I missing something. Is it by chance that the French gov have taken a leaf out Ryanair's Micheal O'Learys book and simply stirring us up?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I can see how this is going to go; the british tourist will be sitting at 80kph with eyes glued to speedo while the poids lourdes honks like hell at them to get on with it.

I ve done many miles over many years in France and still wonder how more of them don't crash on roundabouts.

Jon

D

DL42846

Deleted User
@Mikescuba I am not sure if it has already passed, I was having a beer with a French retired friend and it was he that suggested it would either never get in or would soon after be repealed. I can't see how the French gov are going to find support from any sector, imagine the transport industry within France, 10.25% increase in the time needed to travel a non motorway road. Transport routes already calculated for the 90kph all need extra time. Vehicles would run in a lower gear and probably consume more fuel ceating more pollution .... or am I missing something. Is it by chance that the French gov have taken a leaf out Ryanair's Micheal O'Learys book and simply stirring us up?

I wish you were right but I think it is all set to be implemented or the 1st July 2018. https://translate.google.com/transl...2/05/limitation-de-vitesse-a-80-km-h-en-2018/

Various driving associations are trying to appose the change, a petition has already received over one and a half million signatures but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. Once people start getting fined or banned and a change of government is called for something might happen. Quiet frankly looking at what this idiot Edouard Philippe is basing his finings on I think they are groundless.

Last edited by a moderator:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Mikescuba you are right .... the 80kph has indeed been passed into law and July 1st is "the day"..... oh crumbs it's going to be a troubled summer . Hey ho! we'll still have sunshine and wine (y)(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Definitely passed. C'est officiel!

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/debats-socie...-routes-secondaires-le-1er-juillet-7791756018

Nothing to add.

Speed limit has nothing to do with breathalizer , which was something to be bought, and so an economic matter on both ends: You don't buy it, you're fined , you buy it you pay for it and if driving drunk in spite of it... fined too! Speed limit: you only pay if you go too fast. Therefore, it will be on, on the 1st of July, I'm pretty sure it will!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I can't see how the French gov are going to find support from any sector, imagine the transport industry within France, 10.25% increase in the time needed to travel a non motorway road. Transport routes already calculated for the 90kph all need extra time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the speed limit for vehicles over 3500kgs 80km/h anyway on non motorway roads, including motorhomes?

Mike

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@yodeli How about this then ... gets funnier by the day
https://france3-regions.francetvinf...emental-dit-non-limitation-80kmh-1424709.html

My reference to the breathalizer was only to show that in France frequently things do not go as the government of the day may wish, the voice of the people is rather strong this side of the water unlike in the UK where we tend to moan, do nothing and just get on with it

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the speed limit for vehicles over 3500kgs 80km/h anyway on non motorway roads, including motorhomes?

Mike
Correct. But have you tried sticking to the 80kph limit?
Whenever I try to be good and keep to 80kph I soon get an HGV up my chuff trying to push me on.
The usual speed for almost all HGV's is 86-87kph on country roads.

Richard.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@yodeli How about this then ... gets funnier by the day
https://france3-regions.francetvinf...emental-dit-non-limitation-80kmh-1424709.html

My reference to the breathalizer was only to show that in France frequently things do not go as the government of the day may wish, the voice of the people is rather strong this side of the water unlike in the UK where we tend to moan, do nothing and just get on with it

And it is precisely because of this that I talked about breathalizer. Breathaliser would not have changed a single thing in my opinion, cause a drunk person won't check whether he/she is drunk by blowing in a breathaliser, while reducing speed limit is less difficult to ignore (well unless you're drunk which makes us go back to the breathalizer lol!). Breathalizer was only some bankable idea...:rolleyes: hence French's reaction.
There's always some protest from some people with this kind of law, but I don't think they(governement) will be able to fight against all the associations devoted to road killed/disabled youngsters. The latter seem to always have the last word, and to be honest I can understand why..... We all feel responsible for these young lives which have been destroyed because of speed, mainly! Add alcohol, tireness, and the last thing which will be pointed out is the pollution. The slower we drive the better. .... And it comes from someone who loves speeding...Never killed anyone, but I do think sometimes: "Oi you! slow down!"

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I believe the lower speed limit is to force us onto toll roads, we are rarely in a hurry, but it is often hard for us to stay at a lower speed as we are not in the torque range to stay in top gear on hills, meaning constantly changing down to maintain our speed, we really need to cruise at 100k to stay in our torque range in top gear in hilly country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back