Recommendations Please For Camper Van Newbie

camperman5050

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Hi. I am very keen on getting a small camper van this summer, as I can work remotely, and also am close to some fantastic scenery (the Scottish Highlands.) Not planning on go very far, or away for very long - at the most 2-3 days.

I played with the idea of getting a Nissan e-NV200 converted into a camper van. Since it is an electric vehicle it's eligible for various government grants. However even with a grant, it would still be expensive for me, and I am not sure how reliable it is, as a vehicle.

Could you please help me, and offer recommendations for my first camper van. I am initially considering spend 17k-20k on a secondhand vehicle. Since I am only planning short trips I don't need a toilet/shower. I just need a fridge, stove, ideally a small table, and bed.

I am also confused over the status of diesel vehicles. Are they a poor investment as the government seem to want to phase them out over time?

Thanks in advance.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
diesel vehicles. Are they a poor investment as the government seem to want to phase them out over time?
if they do that we are all in trouble

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I am unable to offer advice on the type of van you are looking for as I have never owned one myself but can I suggest that you spend the small sum of £15 to become a full member on this site. It will give you access to a wealth of knowledge and will save you far more than that in return.
Have fun looking for your ideal van and :welcomesign:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I suggest you pay your £15 sub as then you will have free access to Jim's book on motorhome purchase (and how not to get ripped off).

Also have a look on dealer forecourts, see anything you like and do the usual checks (damp, vehicle history etc etc) then make a cheeky offer. Be prepared to walk away should the deal not be to your liking.

For an electric vehicle I would be asking about charging points near where you will be travelling and the range of the vehicle bearing in mind you will have added significantly to the payload during the conversion. I am not sure that the battery technology is good enough for a long enough range at the more budget end of the market yet.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi @camperman5050 and :welcome4:

As soon as I read the first few lines of your post it was obvious a small campervan would be your ideal vehicle. With your budget I'd suggest you avoid VW's as, nice as they are, I think they're overpriced. A converted foreign import is what you need and there are several companies around the UK that do them in petrol and diesel versions, sorry not very knowledgeable about them but someone will be along shortly to recommend a few or a good search will turn up some names.

Join as a full member to get full access to all the information this site contains - it'll be the best £15 you'll spend on your project.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi @camperman5050 I tend to agree with @TerryL . Our first van was a 15yr old Toyota Granvia converted Wellhouse Leisure. They now convert the Toyota Alphard-very high spec (auto, climate control etc) either petrol/lpg or diesel. Because they are imported from Japan where salt isn't used on the roads they are rust free -our mechanic thought that it looked 3yrs old when we got it. They also tend to have low mileage. The conversion quality is excellent. I would say that they are for 3 season use for wild camping although we have used ours in the winter on electric hook up. We have a Webasto heater but it uses a fair bit of electricity (on ignition and to run the fan) so it can't be run for long off hookup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

camperman5050

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Thanks for the various replies. I will consider becoming a full member of the site.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the various replies. I will consider becoming a full member of the site.
That’s a very good idea,your investment will be rewarded many times over.
Def get Jim’s buyers guide on here.
Go round a few dealers. Believe 20% of what they tell you.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
Vw’s are wonderful to drive, and there are many who I’m sure adore them, but for what it’s worth, you don’t need to buy a VW for 17-20K. It’s only fashionable to have one - however if that’s really what you want... I’d suggest saving money and thoroughly researching mechanically sound and well maintained panel van conversions for £6-10k or less (of which there are many) that would probably more than meet your requirements.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back