Recommendations on who should I get to install refillable LPG and oven install and what will it cost? (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I've been thinking about about getting a gas system installed lately.

I only want to be able to cook with gas. I'm not at all interested in hot water. I'm also not interested in heating systems with gas because I use a diesel heater and you can buy diesel anywhere. If I ever decide I want hot water system I will look into getting a diesel powered truma combi boiler or copy. (If I had the money I'd fit one of those myself tomorrow!)

I have a very healthy fear of gas. This is perhaps the only part of the build I have absolutely no inclination to attempt myself whatsoever.

All I want is some form of refillable LPG tank (underslung might be nice to save space but I don't really mind inside a gas locker in the van either) and it fitting to an oven.

Before getting quotes myself I wondered if any funsters would like to share with me their experiences of having a gas system installed. What system did you have fitted, by who, how much was it, and would you recommend your fitter?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Cooking in my experience uses very little gas, are you sure it will be worth the outlay?

We can be off grid for two weeks in the summer, using gas for the fridge and hot water and still use only about 10KG. Cooking only, I would estimate 2KG a week maximum being generous.

Flogas might be much cheaper?

Edited to say, a safe fill bottle is very simple and can be filled away from van if needed. I had one in my caravan and found it great! No installation needed from standard fit.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

I only want to be able to cook with gas. I'm not at all interested in hot water. I'm also not interested in heating systems with gas because I use a diesel heater and you can buy diesel anywhere. If I ever decide I want hot water system I will look into getting a diesel powered truma combi boiler or copy. (If I had the money I'd fit one of those myself tomorrow!)

I have a very healthy fear of gas. This is perhaps the only part of the build I have absolutely no inclination to attempt myself whatsoever.

All I want is some form of refillable LPG tank (underslung might be nice to save space but I don't really mind inside a gas locker in the van either) and it fitting to an oven.

Before getting quotes myself I wondered if any funsters would like to share with me their experiences of having a gas system installed. What system did you have fitted, by who, how much was it, and would you recommend your fitter?
As said elsewhere, if you are only cooking and cooling on gas, you will use a minuscule ( comparatively) amount so beware investment may outweigh benefit
Safefill 5kg would be smallest investment and very versatile, should never run out with one of them ...and less than a tenner to fill

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
If it's only for cooking what about a diesel hob and oven

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
To those that suggested switch out bottles or a diesel hob and oven I am quite sure I want refillable LPG. No switch out for convenience and something doesn't sit right about cooking with diesel (smells, fumes, having to vent them) and I believe they are rather pricey.

As said elsewhere, if you are only cooking and cooling on gas, you will use a minuscule ( comparatively) amount so beware investment may outweigh benefit
Safefill 5kg would be smallest investment and very versatile, should never run out with one of them ...and less than a tenner to fill

Those Safefil bottles look to be good value.

The general consensus seems to be that refillable bottles would make more financial sense compared to underslung tanks due to the reduced consumption of gas due to only wanting to cook. However I have no idea how much each system would cost to install. I imagine though that underslung tank will be significantly more expensive due to being a bigger job.

Does anyone know roughly how much would you expect to pay for the installation of a refillable gas bottle, the gas safe locker, and fitting the pipe work up to an oven? And how much for the underslung system?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Gas bottle is about £150 for a 5kg safefill, nothing else required. Just a gas locker.

Thanks. :giggle:

I'd be looking to get someone to install the locker, put the bottle in right, and fit the pipe work to the oven too. Would be handy if anyone could give a ball park figure on that then I know how many pennies I need to raid out of the piggy bank.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
As others have said, if I wasn't considering a DIY fit, either refillable gas bottles, or underslung tank etc then my first port of call would be Autogas 2000 in Thirsk, lightweight professionally fitted kits, with Gas Safety certificate and long warranty.
I really think its a no brainer in terms of cost and peace of mind, plus they always get great reviews on here.
All the best.
LES

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Not all about cost/price.

its about a good recommendation on here for the right kit for your needs.

Indeed, hence why I asked for recommendations first, from people who have had it done. And I'd rather pay more to someone who comes recommended than less to some random person I find on Google who's cheap. Autogas 2000 in Thirsk will be my first point of call because a few people have already recommended them.

However cost is very much a factor. I don't have a bottomless pit of 💰. And I have no idea what this might cost. Could be £500, could be £1000, could £2000 (I hope not). I'm totally clueless about it, I couldn't even make a reasonable guess. So a ball park figure would be beneficial before I start getting quotes so I know roughly what to expect or if someone's trying to take for for a ride.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Indeed, hence why I asked for recommendations first, from people who have had it done. And I'd rather pay more to someone who comes recommended than less to some random person I find on Google who's cheap. Autogas 2000 in Thirsk will be my first point of call because a few people have already recommended them.

However cost is very much a factor. I don't have a bottomless pit of 💰. And I have no idea what this might cost. Could be £500, could be £1000, could £2000 (I hope not). I'm totally clueless about it, I couldn't even make a reasonable guess. So a ball park figure would be beneficial before I start getting quotes so I know roughly what to expect or if someone's trying to take for for a ride.
Where in Cheshire are you ?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
As others have said, if I wasn't considering a DIY fit, either refillable gas bottles, or underslung tank etc then my first port of call would be Autogas 2000 in Thirsk, lightweight professionally fitted kits, with Gas Safety certificate and long warranty.
I really think its a no brainer in terms of cost and peace of mind, plus they always get great reviews on here.
All the best.
LES

Thanks Les. I'll speak with them about a quote when the time comes. (y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The piping from tank/bottle to cooker is the dangerous part, the rest is pretty much the same beyond the connection to the bottle except for the hole you'd need to drill somewhere in the bodywork or plastic trim. If it was my van I'd go underslung so no separate venting required. DIY is not difficult and would cost about £300. Pro fit would be about £500 with certification at a guess.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks, Eurotrotter. I'm near Northwich.
I’ve been working in Sandiway this week. I could have popped in to talk you through it and give advice.

I have done four of my own Installaions.
1 x Gaslow
2 x alugas
1 x gasit

a lot depends on your setup. That is space, payload, consumption, existing and replacement regulator and pigtails.

Ive done all the expensive auto changeover setups with truma crash safe systems.

Now I just have a basic setup which saves a lot of money.

I am Working back over your way next week or the week after. If you want me to pop in and give advice (safe distance etc) let me know. It will cost you a cuppa.

Peakclimber

Free Member
Dec 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Since 2008

Autogas 2000 installed my system last year to my new Motorhome. Quality and service was excellent and the price was competitive. (Motorhome Fun subscribers get a discount). I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why not install all the hardware (cooker, so forth) yourself and get a Gas Safe mobile caravan/motorhome guy to check it out and give you a safety certificate? I did that after I installed my own Gaslow system. No special skills required to do the installing.
Observe the cooker manufacturer's air gap requirement around the cooker and be sure to vent the gas bottle locker if not having an underslung tank.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
for just a cooker i would use a gaz blue bottle unless your catering for dozens of people one bottle will last a year available all over europe and light enough to swop out
you dont need a metal locker it just has to be sealed from the rest of the van have a drop out in side and a 50mm sill at the door ,
From reg to a buklhead fitting inside the locker can be run in orange hose everything outside the locker must be hard piped
Door should have a seal and latch

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nasher ... any comments ref a diesel hob?

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I would not go with safefill bottle or any other refillable loose bottle, I fill with gas every 10 days and have been kicked off every forecourt bar 1 within 30 mile radius for filling loose bottles. The amount of gas used for cooking it is not cost effective to use refillable, refillable gas is half price, so a £200 refillable cylinder, the break even is £400 of calor cylinders. Also remember the cylinder is also certified for only 10years.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Another vote for a diesel hob, no additional cost of weight, I’d also go diesel hot water and heating

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Nasher ... any comments ref a diesel hob?

When designing my conversion, I wanted to carry motorbikes in the van - so naked flames (gas) was not an option

I found a combined diesel Hob & heater - Wallas XC Duo - One compact device to handle heating and cooking with no gas, gas cylinders, gas locker, alarms, etc.

It runs off diesel from the van's main tank (it is possible to fit an auxiliary tank, if preferred) The only servicing required is cleaning the exhaust head (a few minutes a year)

There is also a Webasto diesel hob - I have no knowledge of it, but very similar in design to the Wallas without the heating feature

In addition, Wallas now do a diesel oven/hob and oven/hob/heater

I'm not sure of the oven's suitability for mohos - it was designed for boats....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
underslung will release space/locker, if youre limited on space it might be worth paying a bit extra. as a lot of the cost is in the fitting, consider getting the biggest tank you can fit, as you would fill up less often if lpg is not readily available in your local area.

i would also look at cooking outside of the van as much as you can - which offers lots of other options in terms of size, fuel etc

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Another vote for Gas-it.
Fitted my own. 7 years ago and swapped it to a new van.
Ordered 1 day arrived next, 2 bottles and all the kit pipes and info. Cost then about £350.
Checked with soapy liquid, perfick.
Mitch.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Fit it all yourself, what’s the worst that could happen?

32EDB68E-B557-4909-8E50-F1C1EDB5D9E1.png

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Still not interested in diesel for the reasons already given. It's so expensive and and I want an oven not just a hob, etc. I do love my diesel air heater though.

Fit it all yourself, what’s the worst that could happen?

View attachment 464865

Exactly!! I am amazed by the number of people saying "have a go" when I have repeatedly said I'm not confident. I'm not competent. I've no idea what I'm doing with gas. I don't think people understand the serious implications. Imagine if I had a go on your advice and it all went wrong. If it all goes wrong I could burn the van down, with me in it, and kill or seriously hurt anyone close by when the thing goes off like a bomb. It is a criminal offence to "have a go yourself" in a domestic setting like a house. That should tell you all you need to know about how serious gas safety is. I'm not going to do it. It's not happening.

I would not go with safefill bottle or any other refillable loose bottle, I fill with gas every 10 days and have been kicked off every forecourt bar 1 within 30 mile radius for filling loose bottles. The amount of gas used for cooking it is not cost effective to use refillable, refillable gas is half price, so a £200 refillable cylinder, the break even is £400 of calor cylinders. Also remember the cylinder is also certified for only 10years.

I am amazed to hear this. What is their objection to them? Do you take them out of the van to do it? My plan was to leave it in place (strapped in the gas locker) as per this video by The Urban Motorhome - linked to point of video where he fills up.

If this really is a problem I could use another bottle that is hooked up to a external fill port, like this:

2019-11-18-14.43.27-2.jpg

I’ve been working in Sandiway this week. I could have popped in to talk you through it and give advice.

I have done four of my own Installaions.
1 x Gaslow
2 x alugas
1 x gasit

a lot depends on your setup. That is space, payload, consumption, existing and replacement regulator and pigtails.

Ive done all the expensive auto changeover setups with truma crash safe systems.

Now I just have a basic setup which saves a lot of money.

I am Working back over your way next week or the week after. If you want me to pop in and give advice (safe distance etc) let me know. It will cost you a cuppa.

There are no gas systems in place. This is going into an old builders van that I am converting. The van is a L3 Boxer, so loads of room under the fixed bed at the back or under my seating in the front for a gas locker inside.

My instincts say underslung would be better, but I assume that would be vastly more costly? But I don't really know. So far I've only had people give an indication of the cost of installing refill bottles that they have had done.

You're welcome to come and have a socially distanced brew, look around and we can talk gas and all things van conversion etc. But I'll not be convinced to do it myself unfortunately. Your offer of a visit and help / advice is much appreciated though. I am continually impressed by the willingness of people on here to help out. Thanks! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back