Recommendations on who should I get to install refillable LPG and oven install and what will it cost? (1 Viewer)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I had an underslung tank fitted at Autogas 2000 about five years ago. It cost around £800.00 brilliant service dropped the van off first thing. We were dropped off at the station had a day in York. On returning we’re again picked up at the station all done. A full tank of gas with instruction on how to fill. The various different connectors for other countries.
I definitely recommend them.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I had an underslung tank fitted at Autogas 2000 about five years ago. I cost around £800.00 brilliant service dropped the van off first thing. We were dropped off at the station had a day in York. On returning we’re again picked up at the station all done. A full tank of gas with instruction on how to fill. The various different connectors for other countries.
I definitely recommend them.

Thanks for the info! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Autogas at Thirsk who give a discount to funsters will be more than happy to give advice to you. Their customer service is excellent as so many Funsters will verify. If you need to stay at their unit overnight they are very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Autogas at Thirsk who give a discount to funsters will be more than happy to give advice to you. Their customer service is excellent as so many Funsters will verify. If you need to stay at their unit overnight they are very helpful.

They are sounding like the go to people. They are about 2 hours away from me so might be able to do it in a day. When the time comes I'll give them a call. The van is poorly ATM and when I get the gas done depends on how much it costs to be put right. It'll be next month at the earliest I would think. But might have to wait for end of lockdown? Who knows?

Thanks, Joy! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay ... back to the plot, you want a gas system fully installing in your camper which includes:
  1. All piping, fittings, manifold, gas locker (if required)
  2. A gas hob and oven
  3. Refillable gas system, either underslung tank or cylinder
No 1. would need you to have your interior planned out so that they could install the piping from the gas tank/cylinder to where the hob/oven will be.

No 2. would need no 1. doing first then you'd need to install your interior over the pipe runs and have the hob/oven installed.

No 3. could be done either before of after no 2. but obviously you'd need to decide which refillable system you are going for as this will influence no. 1.

You're not gonna be able to get it all done in one 'hit' due to you having to fit the interior (where the gas is) after no.1 has been done so make sure you plan for this and don't expect to be able to just hand over your vehicle and get it back all done and dusted.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
All the staff on forecourts near me have been told by fire officer not to allow filling of any loose cylinder on any forecourt. Every pump I use is stickered with not to be used with loose cylinders.

In the video he is hiding that fact from cctv and kiosk by keeping them in the gas box. He doesn’t show you have to undo the gas outlook connection to fill and then reconnect afterwards. I am guessing he is doing that off the forecourt not to arrouse the attendant.

I have pensioned my 10year old portable refillable to my home gas bbq, and replaced with gas it with an external filler.

ps could not believe he was filming with a smart phone on a forecourt, he won’t be doing that again on a shell forecourt as they’ve pulled all the pumps

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
All the staff on forecourts near me have been told by fire officer not to allow filling of any loose cylinder on any forecourt. Every pump I use is stickered with not to be used with loose cylinders.

In the video he is hiding that fact from cctv and kiosk by keeping them in the gas box. He doesn’t show you have to undo the gas outlook connection to fill and then reconnect afterwards. I am guessing he is doing that off the forecourt not to arrouse the attendant.

I have pensioned my 10year old portable refillable to my home gas bbq, and replaced with gas it with an external filler.

ps could not believe he was filming with a smart phone on a forecourt, he won’t be doing that again on a shell forecourt as they’ve pulled all the pumps

1. Are they loose if tied down in their locker? Is this breaking the rules? Not trying to start an argument, the question is genuine.

2. How do you know he's filming on a smart phone? He could be using a go pro, or any number of vlogging cameras with screens facing outwards. I know he has several because I've seen a video he made about the cameras he uses for making films.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

If this really is a problem I could use another bottle that is hooked up to a external fill port, like this:

2019-11-18-14.43.27-2.jpg

Would a filling fitting, such as this, connected to something like "gasit" or "gaslow" type bottle be a better alternative than these "loose" safefills that are filled directly onto the bottle?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Okay ... back to the plot, you want a gas system fully installing in your camper which includes:
  1. All piping, fittings, manifold, gas locker (if required)
  2. A gas hob and oven
  3. Refillable gas system, either underslung tank or cylinder
No 1. would need you to have your interior planned out so that they could install the piping from the gas tank/cylinder to where the hob/oven will be.

No 2. would need no 1. doing first then you'd need to install your interior over the pipe runs and have the hob/oven installed.

No 3. could be done either before of after no 2. but obviously you'd need to decide which refillable system you are going for as this will influence no. 1.

You're not gonna be able to get it all done in one 'hit' due to you having to fit the interior (where the gas is) after no.1 has been done so make sure you plan for this and don't expect to be able to just hand over your vehicle and get it back all done and dusted.

It doesn't really matter how long it takes. As long as it is done safe. That's the aim of the game.

I know which oven I want. I have left a gap big enough, including the manufacturer's given safety clearances between the cooker and things next to it. I'll just need to cut the end off the work top before the cooker is fixed there. (Work top on top of shown cupboards, not in place at time of taking photo.) It will go on the left hand side here. I'll first need to remove the roughly knocked up box to the left of the kitchen cupboards, and build out a frame to mount the cooker to. I'm probably going to do this and let the gas guys attach the gas pipe to the fitting of the oven.

Broken Link Removed

There is space to run the pipe from the gas locker under the bed to the cooker, under / behind the kitchen units. As you can see from the picture below access to run the pipes is easy. The back of those cupboard are ply slotted into grooves in the sides and simply lift up and out. I can unhang the doors if needed. I could even take the cupboards out entirely in about 15 minutes and refit around any gas pipes.

Behind the cupboards there is a gap (between the back of the cupboard and van wall) of about 15cm. This space is entirely open to the underside of the cupboard as the cupboard is mounted on legs as you can see.

Broken Link Removed

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Fair comment on the smart phone, I don’t know what he used.

I use to lift mine out off the back doors of my van and fill out of sight behind the back of the van, everything is fine when you are swift and smooth as he is in the video, However I have had a couple of occasions when the pump will not reset or start (Not my fault). At that point the staff take a big interest in what you are doing and that’s when the problems start.

the external filler is good in the second picture, however I would have a threaded bung or cap, as you must not get dirt in the filling point. Good luck

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It doesn't really matter how long it takes. As long as it is done safe. That's the aim of the game.

I know which oven I want. I have left a gap big enough, including the manufacturer's given safety clearances between the cooker and things next to it. I'll just need to cut the end off the work top before the cooker is fixed there. (Work top on top of shown cupboards, not in place at time of taking photo.) It will go on the left hand side here. I'll first need to remove the roughly knocked up box to the left of the kitchen cupboards, and build out a frame to mount the cooker to. I'm probably going to do this and let the gas guys attach the gas pipe to the fitting of the oven.

Broken Link Removed

There is space to run the pipe from the gas locker under the bed to the cooker, under / behind the kitchen units. As you can see from the picture below access to run the pipes is easy. The back of those cupboard are ply slotted into grooves in the sides and simply lift up and out. I can unhang the doors if needed. I could even take the cupboards out entirely in about 15 minutes and refit around any gas pipes.

Behind the cupboards there is a gap (between the back of the cupboard and van wall) of about 15cm. This space is entirely open to the underside of the cupboard as the cupboard is mounted on legs as you can see.

Broken Link Removed
Sounds like the gas fitter would be able to access areas without you having to remove any units and then get straight on to fitting the hob/oven, obviously he'd/she'd need to make access points for the pipe to run through what's already there although if you knew what was needed/where you could do this in advance yourself then the gas fitter could just put in the piping, ensure it is secure and connect everything up which would make it a quicker and cheaper job (ie less labour).

Have you included any drop vents in the bottom of the cupboard (through shelves/drawers) etc for any escaping gas to get out and through a drop vent in the floor (which I hope you've included)?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been thinking again ... yes it happens sometimes! :giggle: ... do you REALLY need refillable gas? For your what's likely to be very, very minimal usage you might be better just getting a couple of small non-refillable cylinders that way if one runs out you can use the other and just replace the original when you next get the chance; it also means that if you go abroad you could get a 'local' cylinder to keep alongside a UK one if needs be.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Fair comment on the smart phone, I don’t know what he used.

I use to lift mine out off the back doors of my van and fill out of sight behind the back of the van, everything is fine when you are swift and smooth as he is in the video, However I have had a couple of occasions when the pump will not reset or start (Not my fault). At that point the staff take a big interest in what you are doing and that’s when the problems start.

the external filler is good in the second picture, however I would have a threaded bung or cap, as you must not get dirt in the filling point. Good luck
I assume the external square 'box' type cover has been removed to take the photo as the plastic rear part of it is shown in the picture (the black bit).

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Have you included any drop vents in the bottom of the cupboard?

The gas pipe will not go into the kitchen cupboard, so I will not need a drop out vent in it.

I would think the gas pipe will go under or behind the cupboard, and be clipped to the wooden wall of the van.

The cupboard is lifted above the ground on 4 leveling legs in each corner by about 12cm, as show in picture 2. There is no partition between this gap under the cupboard and the 15cm gap behind the back of the cupboard and the van wall. So any escaping gas will not become trapped under / behind cupboards. See diagram.

Broken Link Removed

Hopefully the pipe will connect to the bottle within the gas locker and run in one sold piece into the back of the cooker, so that the only joint not contained within the locker is where the pipe joins the oven. This should decrease the need for drop vents. However perhaps the gas fitter would want one where this join will be, by the oven itself.

Cupboard. Cupboard. I've said it so many times it's starting to sound strange. Cupboard! :roflmto:

Thanks for you interest and advice!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I've been thinking again ... yes it happens sometimes! :giggle: ... do you REALLY need refillable gas? For your what's likely to be very, very minimal usage you might be better just getting a couple of small non-refillable cylinders that way if one runs out you can use the other and just replace the original when you next get the chance; it also means that if you go abroad you could get a 'local' cylinder to keep alongside a UK one if needs be.

I guess I don't "REALLY" need refillable. However if I'm going to the expense of having a locker fitted, pipe work put in and fitted to an oven I might as well? I will be going "semi full time" (4 days a week at minimum, possibly weeks at a time if I don't go home for time off) so will be cooking most meals in the van. Would be nice to have the cheaper gas. Especially as when I so go full time I will be returning to being a "poor student".

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I've been thinking about about getting a gas system installed lately.

I only want to be able to cook with gas. I'm not at all interested in hot water. I'm also not interested in heating systems with gas because I use a diesel heater and you can buy diesel anywhere. If I ever decide I want hot water system I will look into getting a diesel powered truma combi boiler or copy. (If I had the money I'd fit one of those myself tomorrow!)

I have a very healthy fear of gas. This is perhaps the only part of the build I have absolutely no inclination to attempt myself whatsoever.

All I want is some form of refillable LPG tank (underslung might be nice to save space but I don't really mind inside a gas locker in the van either) and it fitting to an oven.

Before getting quotes myself I wondered if any funsters would like to share with me their experiences of having a gas system installed. What system did you have fitted, by who, how much was it, and would you recommend your fitter?
The more I read about the more I have gone off the idea of a refillable system as it seems that fewer and fewer outlets are supplying auto gas in the UK at least. Do not know what the European situation is. Apparently due to the move to electric has caused it.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
mmsgaspower.co.uk

Give them a call and talk cash....the price comes right down. Cannock ....Gailey actually and excellent at their work

Kev

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I guess I don't "REALLY" need refillable. However if I'm going to the expense of having a locker fitted, pipe work put in and fitted to an oven I might as well? I will be going "semi full time" (4 days a week at minimum, possibly weeks at a time if I don't go home for time off) so will be cooking most meals in the van. Would be nice to have the cheaper gas. Especially as when I so go full time I will be returning to being a "poor student".
Hi Camper Jack

Why not pick up and fit for now a couple of non refillable ie Calor or similar cylinders to see how you get on? These can normally be picked up second hand fairly cheaply locally, and if your lucky they might have gas in it (you may even find a local Funster has one or more spare for a low price). At a later date, you could then have the refillable cylinder(s) fitted. The pipework from the regulator to the cooker / oven is the same whether refillable or non refillable cylinders are used

Cheers

Trevor

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
theres no major expense as the gas locker is part of the build it would be A cupboard if you didnt put the bottle in.When i did mine i run all the pipework under the van in p clips using self drilling screws
not sure if theres any gas pics in my blog below

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The more I read about the more I have gone off the idea of a refillable system as it seems that fewer and fewer outlets are supplying auto gas in the UK at least. Do not know what the European situation is. Apparently due to the move to electric has caused it.
Which is why I would go for the biggest underslung YOU can fit ... However as you're not confident, then camping gas which can be obtained UK a mainland Europe is prob the best option. If you're going on EHU as often as you can, then consider a small table top mini oven grill combo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The gas pipe will not go into the kitchen cupboard, so I will not need a drop out vent in it.
It's not just the gas pipe itself you need it for, the hob/oven will be there and if there's a leak the gas neds to be able to escape somewhere if it gets into the cupboard ... any gas fitter worth his/her salt should refuse point blank to fit a gas appliance without there being at least one gas drop vent nearby. It's also good practice if you have drawers underneath a gas appliance to have a drop 'hole' drilled in the bottom corner of each one so that any gas can escape and not 'pool' in the drawer.

Having had a gas pipe fire in a MH* you want to ensure you have appropriate drop vents to allow any leaking gas to escape - the last thing you want is gas 'pooling' anywhere level which could ignite. (*Dealer fitted BBQ connector joint came adrift and we ended up with a 5ft blowtorch!)

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It's not just the gas pipe itself you need it for, the hob/oven will be there and if there's a leak the gas neds to be able to escape somewhere if it gets into the cupboard ... any gas fitter worth his/her salt should refuse point blank to fit a gas appliance without there being at least one gas drop vent nearby. It's also good practice if you have drawers underneath a gas appliance to have a drop 'hole' drilled in the bottom corner of each one so that any gas can escape and not 'pool' in the drawer.

Having had a gas pipe fire in a MH* you want to ensure you have appropriate drop vents to allow any leaking gas to escape - the last thing you want is gas 'pooling' anywhere level which could ignite. (*Dealer fitted BBQ connector joint came adrift and we ended up with a 5ft blowtorch!)

Thanks! I'll put a drop vent in below the space where the oven will go. And into any draws or anything I install below. I'll be able to do that myself no problem. Less for the fitter to do and charge me for. :giggle:

5ft blowtorch doesn't sound like fun. Although you could make some good creme brulee! Did that happen to you? Was the HM okay? 😱

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
5ft blowtorch doesn't sound like fun. Although you could make some good creme brulee! Did that happen to you? Was the HM okay? 😱
It wasn't fun I can assure you ... one of our dogs had melted whiskers and hubby was missing some hairs on his legs but it could've been a hell of a lot worse! More info here:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It wasn't fun I can assure you ... one of our dogs had melted whiskers and hubby was missing some hairs on his legs but it could've been a hell of a lot worse! More info here:

That's horrific. At least you were all okay. Did you find out what caused the pipe to become dethatched from the thing it was fitted to?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's horrific. At least you were all okay. Did you find out what caused the pipe to become dethatched from the thing it was fitted to?
Yup, there's a link to another post from the one above, but I've copied it here for you:

... where they had connected the piping for the BBQ point to the existing piping, the new piping was too short, they had not removed the compression nut and olive and instead had rammed the pipe up (which was under tension) into the T joint. As the nut and olive had not been removed and placed correctly on the end of the pipe first, when the pipe was inserted it had pushed the olive up into the nut, so it did not, therefore sit properly on the pipe and was only holding and making a seal by a fraction, add to this mix that they didn't put any of the sealing putty (which they had on the other 2 joints) and it was an accident waiting to happen.

It eventually gave way in France some 2 years later when we had the heatwave (41 degrees in May/June 2005!), the consensus seems to be that the excessive heat and our travelling made the olive finally release and when he turned the gas on to make a cuppa the static build up either in the air or from my husband's hand touching the cupboard handle (where the T joint was) ignited the gas. We then had the bunsen burner effect, or rather a 5ft blow torch (no exaggeration!) in the middle of our motorhome, not something I would wish anyone to experience!!!

What I must stress is that this trip was shortly after we had had a habitation service carried out on the vehicle by the dealer who installed the BBQ point where I had asked them to check the gas system .... totally incompetent both from the point of view of fitting the BBQ point and the system check. I certainly would never let them work in my motorhome again.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Why can’t you run all pipe work underfloor and come up through the floor to your oven ?
Easy to secure to your van floor.
Build the gas locker with external bottle access only.
Fit one gas-it 11kg re-fillable bottle piped to an external fill point mounted beside your locker.
It IS a doddle !
Get a qualified Motorhome technician ((they MUST be gas certified so they are capable of fridge repairs)) and there are a good many around.
Motorhome dealers workshops will also have such mechanics.
Putting the oven in, involves only 1 pipe connection.
I’m not trying to oversimplify your build, but to a technician, it really IS straightforward.
The benefits of not lugging around a bottle
( and they have become very expensive ) for the ease of the re-fillable system are many.
Just saying. 😉
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
You can source the oven yourself. and buy the bottle and it’s kit, you then only have to pay the technician for pipe and his time.
That will keep your costs to the minimum as you can cost it all first!
Mitch 👍

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Awww. I know it's got beggar all to do with me, but Jack seems so lovely, I want to be his nan.. It's so lovely seeing you all helping him. Awww nice warm feeling. :)

Just saying like.. :)

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Awww. I know it's got beggar all to do with me, but Jack seems so lovely, I want to be his nan.. It's so lovely seeing you all helping him. Awww nice warm feeling. :)

Just saying like.. :)

I just blushed. It's a good thing I'm reading this on my own.

Saturday Night Live Thank You GIF

There are a good, helpful bunch on here. The build would have been much harder without this place, particularly the electrics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back