Recommendations of best manufacturers for hire business (1 Viewer)

MarkKirby

Free Member
Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t Own One Yet
Exp
I’m a Newbie
Hi all

Newbie to the site! I am in the process of setting up a hire business In Kent, with a partner who owns a campsite in Worcester. Between us looking to start with 8 vehicles.

Interested in anyone’s experience or recommendations of which manufacturers to consider to purchase the vehicles from. Looking at Swift, Bailey, Roller Team etc., but open to all of your wise thoughts and input!

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Knowing that "Just Go" use Roller Team vans as their range of vans is quite large and components not too expensive may be one reason to consider them.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Most use entry level models such as Sunlight,Challenger nothing wrong with these Van's but less stuff to go wrong. My friends started a MH company in France and you would not believe the damage they incurred just in the first week!.Good luck.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
New Bailey range the Adamo aimed at uk hire market. They say the demand from hirers is for auto gearbox family vans of high capacity 4 berth.
Many of the foreign vans currently used break the law regarding weight limits. Be interesting to see if Bailey have produced high capacity vans with sufficiently high payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
New Bailey range the Adamo aimed at uk hire market. They say the demand from hirers is for auto gearbox family vans of high capacity 4 berth.
Many of the foreign vans currently used break the law regarding weight limits. Be interesting to see if Bailey have produced high capacity vans with sufficiently high payload.
Thanks, I hadn't heard about these. All automatic, all 160 bhp engines and all built on the Ford chassis.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Vanbitz will be busy once they start getting nicked. Most of the hire companies won't use British brands due to reliability with the fixtures etc.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Vanbitz will be busy once they start getting nicked. Most of the hire companies won't use British brands due to reliability with the fixtures etc.
Nonsense. I’ve seen Baileys used as hire vans, despite being manual gearbox. British vans traditionally built on Peugeot and without an automatic gearbox option this is the main reason they aren’t used. The value end of Eldiss/ Bailey use Peugeot. The hire market use value end of market Roller Team on Fiat very popular.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You'll probably need to employ a full time maintenance/repair person competent in all m/h equipment as most dealers' workshop lead times are extraordinarily long, even for warranty work. Consider the location of your supplying dealer since it won't be practical to take a m/h 100 miles or more (and leave it there) for warranty work to be done.
Most changeovers are at weekends when spare/replacement parts will be difficult to obtain and you'll need an 'engineer' prepared to work at weekends.
I wish you luck.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think most hirers buy without warranty n or very limited warranty and have a parts account at pref rates with the manufacturers
im no expert on the motorhomes but this is how the big boys buy their boilers cheap they already have a network of engineers to do repairs the get parts on assistance schemes this is why british gas push worceseter boilers and most hirers stick with one make

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I was starting a hire fleet, the core would be made up of Sun Living motorhomes. Very well made, basic, reliable strong, everything easy cleaned and comparatively cheap.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hi all

Newbie to the site! I am in the process of setting up a hire business In Kent, with a partner who owns a campsite in Worcester. Between us looking to start with 8 vehicles.

Interested in anyone’s experience or recommendations of which manufacturers to consider to purchase the vehicles from. Looking at Swift, Bailey, Roller Team etc., but open to all of your wise thoughts and input!

Many thanks in advance.
Hit me up with a PM, I have 3 of those brands you mentioned.
Rollerteam are always a good choice as are Swift, purely because the favored bunk house options you get with them. You generally get the vans supplied cheaper than you normally would as say Joe Public but normally its down to yourself to sort warranty work.
Adria for instance do not offer a warranty on vans supplied as a rental van. Its also worth bearing in mind if you ever buy an ex rental.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Nonsense. I’ve seen Baileys used as hire vans, despite being manual gearbox. British vans traditionally built on Peugeot and without an automatic gearbox option this is the main reason they aren’t used. The value end of Eldiss/ Bailey use Peugeot. The hire market use value end of market Roller Team on Fiat very popular.
[/QUO
Easy I said most and i know some Bailey dealers use them on hire fleets. I can tell you now my Bailey Autograph at 42000 miles and is constantly having warranty work from day 1 therefore I would not want one as an hire vehicle if I owned an hire business.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We hired a SWIFT SELECT about 4 years ago, and there were loads of things Falling or fallen off it

Got talking to the Mr Fixit when we returned and within the talk I asked “ is it just the hirers that are animals?”

His reply, with absolutely zero agenda, was “ its the same animals that hire the Roller Teams....and they don't fall to bits..

Interesting

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
i would think most hirers buy without warranty n or very limited warranty and have a parts account at pref rates with the manufacturers
Interesting that warranties are not normally included with hire motorhomes. Seems reasonable.
My point was really that it's no good relying on having repairs done by a dealer or having a parts account with a manufacturer if the motorhome's needed to be repaired quickly at a weekend changeover. I guess that keeping a spare motorhome on hand for such issues wouldn't be financially advantageous.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks, I hadn't heard about these. All automatic, all 160 bhp engines and all built on the Ford chassis.

It's not the base vehicle that will cause you the most problems it's what they break or damage in the habitation area,,blinds locker doors, heaters,Windows etc.Motorhomes are not robust inside and need handling with care,,a bit like a women really.BUSBY.

Tognut

Free Member
Jan 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi all

Many thanks in advance.
I wouldn't touch Bailey as they won't even talk to me when I want to buy one! Just imagine how bad their support will be once I've done so.....

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Swift go near us obviously use swift Motorhomes . Met a family in south of France who were in one . The awning was locked shut and couldn’t be used. Reason being everytime they came back they were damaged.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just a thought but our local MH dealer who i know quite well (the owner lives in our village) have a MH rental business model based on 3 things:

- rental revenues
- sales revenues as he sells the vans after 1 season for standard vans and 2 seasons for his end vans
- having a deal with MH manufacturers based on standard spec and a certain volume of units

For base vans they have Sunlight and Carado, the higher end vans are Hymer and Cathargo, they also have quite a range of PVC's as he tells me many people are more comfortable to try a smaller van as a first rental. Overall he has around 70 vans on his rental fleet.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought but our local MH dealer who i know quite well (the owner lives in our village) have a MH rental business model based on 3 things:

- rental revenues
- sales revenues as he sells the vans after 1 season for standard vans and 2 seasons for his end vans
- having a deal with MH manufacturers based on standard spec and a certain volume of units

For base vans they have Sunlight and Carado, the higher end vans are Hymer and Cathargo, they also have quite a range of PVC's as he tells me many people are more comfortable to try a smaller van as a first rental. Overall he has around 70 vans on his rental fleet.
Wow thats some capital tied up! If it's on finance it must be hurting at the moment.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
It's not the base vehicle that will cause you the most problems it's what they break or damage in the habitation area,,blinds locker doors, heaters,Windows etc.Motorhomes are not robust inside and need handling with care,,a bit like a women really.BUSBY.
OK Swiss Tony;)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hit me up with a PM, I have 3 of those brands you mentioned.
Rollerteam are always a good choice as are Swift, purely because the favored bunk house options you get with them. You generally get the vans supplied cheaper than you normally would as say Joe Public but normally its down to yourself to sort warranty work.
Adria for instance do not offer a warranty on vans supplied as a rental van. Its also worth bearing in mind if you ever buy an ex rental.
A friend of mine always hires and it’s normally a roller team he has and very happy with his hires

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a cheap Bailey Caravan from new and two toddlers. I expected them to break everything!

Nothing fell off, or broke, apart from the stupid shower tray which cracked after a year.

It was surprisingly robust.

Leaked, a lot! But robust!

Good luck with the business, it’s great to see people opening what I hope will be a viable and successful venture.

As others have said, if you don’t know how to fix them, learn very quickly. Losing a weeks hire is a disaster for you but worse for your customer who will bad mouth you for years!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just to add, we have a fleet of 550 Ambulances at work. Generally we expect 20% to be off being fixed or restocked and cleaned. It won’t be that bad but I would expect at least 10% of your fleet to be unavailable due to breakdown, servicing etc.

With 8 you will have to expect to keep one in reserve and bad weeks 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back