Recommend me an inverter

Vic

Likes collected
Funster No
I have been found out. Someone has discovered that you can use a hair dryer in a motor home if you have an inverter and I have been instructed to get one.
From previous threads I am after a pure sine wave 2000w inverter.
I have looked at the usual sites and all say that theirs is the best, as they would.
Please can you recommend me one.
Thank you,
Vic

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would not use an inverter for any appliance that has an element. A 1000w element (hair dryer) will pull almost a 100 amps from your batteries for every second its on.
The batteries have to be big enough to cope and a big enough charging system to top them back up.

Reactions: Vic

Mike Kiff

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 1995
Go for the best,Sterling.

You must fit a fuse and isolator switch,
Cable should be as short possible and heavey duty cable.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
You could tell "That Person" that yes they are correct, but in order to fit one you will need a bigger battery bank, more solar, B2B plus the inverter and it will cost niegh on a grand. :cautious: Can it be assumed that this person has managed without in the past.;) If so, say it can be done, but its gunna cost and that might reduce Wine buying capability.(y)(y)
If all else fails, suggestions above.:D2:D2

GPW

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
This question keeps popping up so I've been refining my ideas about how to do this best.

If it's an occasionaly use an HF one will be fine, if you need low standby current an LF (bigger, heavier, more expensive) one will be needed.

I rather like Victron.

Also buy a 1000W hairdryer, some are 2.4kW = massive expense. A few places do a 1000W model.
Run it off very short 25mm leads from at least 200Ah of wet cell batteries and don't run it continuously. Don't forget to connect the Victron temperature sensor (if supplied) to your battery for safety.

A 15 minute hair dry at 1000W at 12V is 83 Amps for 1/4 hour = 21 Ah usage so should be doable.
Also place an RCD between the inverter and the hairdryer for safety: water + 230V needs it, A decent inverter will work OK with an RCD, a cheap rubbish one won't.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I described my adventures fitting a 1500W inverter in this thread. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fitting-a-1500w-inverter.156023/
I fitted a "cheapie" but it has performed faultlessly over the last couple of years or so. We have only 180Ah of batteries and 190W of solar but this drives a 1200W hairdryer and a small Nespresso coffee machine. The links at the end of the thread probably don't work any more but you should be able to find similar models still available.

You can spend a lot of money and the Victron charger/inverters are very good but they come at a high price. I recently fitted a Sterling B2B charger and the first one they sent I had to return as it was faulty. Their written instructions are also poor and their website has quite a few typos too so I'm not entirely convinced their reputation is quite fully deserved. :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ann likes the babyliss big hair with the spinning brush. It's also only 700w max with an even lower setting too (y)

OP
OP
V

Vic

Likes collected
Funster No
Thank you for all your replies. I currently have 2 x 100ah batteries and 100w panel. The van is going for it's van check and service in 10 days time. I will check whether the built in bits can cope with an extra panel or additional batteries. In the meantime I will research the brands mentioned.
Thanks again.
Vic

OP
OP
V

Vic

Likes collected
Funster No
Pappajohn,

Thank you. That went down well! I may even be allowed back in the van tonight.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have had both Sterling and a fab Victron both eye watering prices (£0000) wish I had kept the Vitron:) but alas it went with the van.
I now have a couple of hundred quids worth that I thought was German made that turned out to be a German seller, (ebay) turned out to be selling Chinese PSW inverters :D Had it for almost 2 yrs without a problem. Use it for MW and hair dryer (y)Hits the batts but solar soon charges them back up :DI don't have any fancy gismos that tell me how much power it's using and have never ran out so I don't worry about it ,just leave it all to get on with doing it's job ;) I will worry when I turn the lights#tv on and they don't work :D2Never even lift the cupboard door to check charging rates which is all most people talk about :whistle: Turn it on and it works (y) Job done
EDIT FORGOT TO SAY IF MONEY IS NOT A CONSIDERATION GO FOR THE VICTRON

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A 15 minute hair dry at 1000W at 12V is 83 Amps for 1/4 hour = 21 Ah usage so should be doable.
However at this rate of discharge Peukerts exponent has some significance, there are also the efficiency rates for both inverter and charging process to be taken into account. With lead acid batteries you could well need nearer 30 AH to replenish what is used in 15 minutes.

Reactions: GPW
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
15 minutes?! Jeez, how long is her hair :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun