Rear-view cameras - wireless. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am about to replace my rear-view camera.

I am not sure whether the cable from the camera to the screen is still OK. The mechanic said if it is not they can fit a wireless system.

I just want some more information and people's experience of such a system that they have, so I am in a position to discuss with the mechanic.

Firstly, I do not know what frequencies they operate on and whether at those frequencies they need line-of-sight between the units. Our passage to the rear bedroom is narrow and contains the fridge and TV on starboard side, so could these interfere if I want to mount the camera on the shelf to the right of the RHD driver position?

Has anybody got a system fitted and how does it perform?

Lastly, what systems would users recommend? May not all be available in Poland.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I am about to replace my rear-view camera.

I am not sure whether the cable from the camera to the screen is still OK. The mechanic said if it is not they can fit a wireless system.

I just want some more information and people's experience of such a system that they have, so I am in a position to discuss with the mechanic.

Firstly, I do not know what frequencies they operate on and whether at those frequencies they need line-of-sight between the units. Our passage to the rear bedroom is narrow and contains the fridge and TV on starboard side, so could these interfere if I want to mount the camera on the shelf to the right of the RHD driver position?

Has anybody got a system fitted and how does it perform?

Lastly, what systems would users recommend? May not all be available in Poland.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff
Good question Geoff - I have never had a rear view camera other than for reversing so very interested to hear the responses as we have a 9 metre Arto.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Auto Vox wireless/solar reverse camera on my AutoSleeper & it's brilliant, far better than the factory fitted one. Been on there for a year now.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I have a Auto Vox wireless/solar reverse camera on my AutoSleeper & it's brilliant, far better than the factory fitted one. Been on there for a year now.
Which model do you have? Did you self install or get it done?

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve used this one for the last 3 years. Need a 12v supply to camera and screen, nothing between. I run it all the time as a rear view camera rather than only when reversing.

I modified the camera bracket to allow me to clip it between the window and rubber on the rear opening window. Being inside it doesn’t get dirty, as long as you can see out of the back window. At night is does have a led reversing lights but I covered them with black tape.

It’s not perfect, occasionally you will get interference if there are underground electrical cables, 98% of the time the image is stable and clear. You can get digital ones which are a bit more expensive and said to be more stable but I’ve not felt the need to upgrade.

You will find a lot of people have tried these without success commenting that they are rubbish and reverted to hardwire versions but if you can afford the cost to try it then I believe it’s well worth trying. They only improvement I’d like is to have an ignition switched 12v supply at the back of the van but that’s not the fault of the camera.

Amazon product ASIN B081FF2G91

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
I have a bessacar E410 with a reverse camera fitted at high level and an alpine unit in the dash..the camera is poor and not very clear , foggy , I have cleaned it a number of times, but still the same...does any one know if I can replace it in the same position with something better...thanks...

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
I’ve used this one for the last 3 years. Need a 12v supply to camera and screen, nothing between. I run it all the time as a rear view camera rather than only when reversing.

I modified the camera bracket to allow me to clip it between the window and rubber on the rear opening window. Being inside it doesn’t get dirty, as long as you can see out of the back window. At night is does have a led reversing lights but I covered them with black tape.

It’s not perfect, occasionally you will get interference if there are underground electrical cables, 98% of the time the image is stable and clear. You can get digital ones which are a bit more expensive and said to be more stable but I’ve not felt the need to upgrade.

You will find a lot of people have tried these without success commenting that they are rubbish and reverted to hardwire versions but if you can afford the cost to try it then I believe it’s well worth trying. They only improvement I’d like is to have an ignition switched 12v supply at the back of the van but that’s not the fault of the camera.

Amazon product ASIN B081FF2G91
I'm interested in this. Are they easy to fit and set up for a complete and utter novice?

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Very. Plug the screen into a 12v ”cigarette“ socket in the front. More difficult is the 12v feed to the rear camera. I have installed a 12v socket at the back, wired from a usb socket installed my manufacturer. Alternatively you can get a 12v to usb convertor lead on Amazon/eBay. The camera and screen find each other.

The one I fitted is not solar.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Daft question, being solely run on solar, how are they in UK weather? Looks a good fit for us bring non DIY
Update on mine: The unit stopped working & they didn't want to know :confused: I've now fitted a wired one.

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Update on mine: The unit stopped working & they didn't want to know :confused: I've now fitted a wired one.
Gulp...just took delivery of ours
I've registered for extended 18 month warranty...hopefully won't need to use it

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My reversing camera was terrible. When I upgraded the in dash radio to a Sony, it's significantly clearer, but still pretty blurred. What's worse is it's unreliable, normally after rain or when I've washed it, so I suspect water is getting in.

For a long time, cameras have used a very low resolution and low fidelity composite video signal feed, which I think is 480 scan lines? I've seen there are some hi res analogue options now which I think are 720p, but the camera and the screen both need to support it. And some of the wireless systems are digital with 720p or even 1080p. They look much better.

The issue will be that my existing camera is integrated into the rear molding. And I've no idea how to get to the wiring either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
My reversing camera was terrible. When I upgraded the in dash radio to a Sony, it's significantly clearer, but still pretty blurred. What's worse is it's unreliable, normally after rain or when I've washed it, so I suspect water is getting in.

For a long time, cameras have used a very low resolution and low fidelity composite video signal feed, which I think is 480 scan lines? I've seen there are some hi res analogue options now which I think are 720p, but the camera and the screen both need to support it. And some of the wireless systems are digital with 720p or even 1080p. They look much better.

The issue will be that my existing camera is integrated into the rear molding. And I've no idea how to get to the wiring either.
Mine also...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back