Rear Chassis Protection for Non AlKo chassis (1 Viewer)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi and Happy New Year to all.
In a recent post regarding ferries where I mentioned rear grounding on exit I received some useful info from @cornish boy regarding rear air suspension. Whilst I appreciate the benefits of air suspension I am thinking of a more immediate and easily managable solution to this occasional problem.

I am edging towards some sort of replaceable skid plate (similar to a motorcycle crash bung) fitted to the bottom of the tow bar.

I have done a little bit of research since and want to ask the forum for opinions and experience with either rear rollers/caster wheels or plain nylon skid plates.

I have a 2012 Autotrail Delaware (Non AlKo) and have grounded the rear a few times on entrances to campsites and when going on and off ferries. I currently have a tow bar which takes all the damage so at least the fabric of the vehicle is protected.

Thank you for reading.
Best regards
Nik.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just fit air ride and get it lifted..
£279 on ebay, did mine a few months ago after having the van for 4 years and grounded several times.
Luckily the tow bar took the brunt of it...
I thought about wheels etc but my thinking is that any dragging motion cannot be good for the motorhome structure and may at some point crack the odd seal / joint.. Let's face it Autotrails are bad enough to start with on leaky seals...

This is what i now have on an Apache 700 2012 so same chassis and size as your Delaware...

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wheels etc are going to reduce your ground clearance even more...maybe only an inch or two but less clearance all the same.
The result is you will ground where without a wheel you may not.
It imposes an immense load on the bar and chassis....maybe a ton or more depending how steep the incline and the more you can avoid grounding the better..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I always go on at an angle , gives you a bit more clearance than if you drop straight, with my truck. that ground out straight if at an angle it never touched . Every little helps.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I also have a couple of decent planks , that I use as levelers. with blocks, that you can put under the wheels , only 2ft long, and easily reachable, I have front clearance issues, so they come in handy, although you will struggle on a ferry unless you wait till last to come off.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I had the same thought as pappajohn, anything added under the towbar, will increase the possibility of grounding by the thickness of whatever you use.
Also, depending on the age of the towbar, attaching something to it, either by drilling, or welding, may affect its conformity, or more importantly, its integrity.

Ps.... Happy New Year to you too !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back