Razor sharp Alde heating fins. Any ideas how to cover them to save injury?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
MH
Hymer T 668 SL
Exp
March 2014
Like a lot of people I have Alde heating in the van, and in a couple of areas they have horrifically sharp edged aluminium fins on the pipes to help dissipate the heat. I have cut myself several times trying to put things in the underbed storage compartment on my Bailey, and to be honest cannot believe that a reputable company such as Alde can manufacture such a dangerous product or that a motorhome builder (I know Bailey are not the only ones that do it) can fit them in an exposed position where they are likely to cause injury.

I have been thinking for a while how I can fit some kind of protective strip to the bottom of these abominations to lessen the chance of cuts, my ideas having ranged from simple gaffa tape to more complex aluminium strips fitted to brackets, but before I do anything, has anyone else got an idea? I even thought Bacofoil along the bottom might be a good heat reflector as well!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine are all boxed in in cabinets with grills on the top, so sorry I cant help.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
You could probably fit the guards designed to protect electric tube heaters, stop being able to touch them but not restrict the heat output.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
On sale in Aldi, ribbed silicon tubing that is slit down its length, you slide these onto the front of oven trays to prevent burning yourself when removing stuff from the oven, I would think these would be ideal for the purpose you require

Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Polystyrene roof insulation ,cut into strips then use a blob of gripfill here and there then rub polystyrene onto the sharp fins and let it set.(use the solvent free gripfill otherwise it will eat the polystyrene )

OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
MH
Hymer T 668 SL
Exp
March 2014
Thanks for the ideas. I have contacted Alde to see how much their covers cost, but I think I will visit their namesakes at Aldi to see the silicon tubing as I am pretty sure it will be cheaper!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
Our Alde fins are all built in as well so I think your gripe is with your converter rather than Alde.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the ideas. I have contacted Alde to see how much their covers cost, but I think I will visit their namesakes at Aldi to see the silicon tubing as I am pretty sure it will be cheaper!
Here you go, this is what your looking for, pack of two I think they were about £2.40

image.jpg

OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
MH
Hymer T 668 SL
Exp
March 2014

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
MH
Hobby 750 tag.
Exp
Full timing for five years and loving it!
They work well, Mrs Badknee bought some to stop rattles in the oven lol.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
On sale in Aldi, ribbed silicon tubing that is slit down its length, you slide these onto the front of oven trays to prevent burning yourself when removing stuff from the oven, I would think these would be ideal for the purpose you require
Good pointer Gooney, Mrs BB task for tomorrow!(y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
MH
Concorde Concerto A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I think your gripe should be with Bailey the converter not Alde. Give Bailey a bell and mention elf n safteee and they might come up with a solution PDQ.

OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
MH
Hymer T 668 SL
Exp
March 2014
I think your gripe should be with Bailey the converter not Alde. Give Bailey a bell and mention elf n safteee and they might come up with a solution PDQ.

Already emailed customer services. Just waiting for a response.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services