Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
C835BAB8-764C-44B5-826C-4C8A40983E83.jpeg
We have an extra heater on our Merc Sprinter base Rapido A Class.
It runs off diesel, well not at the mo, is supposed to help heat the engine up as its plumbed into the engine cooling system.
Only works whilst the engine is running and is a standard fit on Sprinters.
Im led to believe its an
Eberspacher

Does anyone have a clue how to fault find with these things as this little so and so isn't working :(

Pics of the switch in the cab and the top of the unit under the bonnet.

IMG_3748.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had one years ago that fired a very fine mist of derv over a glow plug, sounded like a jet engine (same as a night heater for hgv's) then a small heat exchanger and a pump. The hot air heated the water and pumped it round the engine. Instant heater and a warm engine. Much used in Canada.
Fault finding? I'd start at the fuse box as they take quite a bit of power, mine was on a 20min Max timer.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine has one too but it hasn’t worked for a few years. When I asked about fixing it I was told it might be the control unit at fault. Since I hardly ever used it anyway, I decided against spending any money to investigate further.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine does work. Makes a lot of noise like a jet engine and does warm up the engine quicker in the winter. I rarely use in in anger but I do run it occasionally as they tend to stop working if not used (like aircon)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
In the resources section of MH fun there is a Eberspacher manual. If you want to get really into it you can connect laptop to interogate it similar to obd socket on a car. Googling eberspacher will pull up lots of info.
Control wiring is a bit harder when integarated into mercedes wiring.
They have an ecu inside, if it fails over a certain number of starts, depending on reason, it will need reseting.
They are fitted to many trucks and boats, so their dealers may be knowledgeable.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for the replies.
I really wanted to get this working as I think the engine thermostat may have got west as well.
Engine takes ages to warm up, I have been told the Sprinter engine is thermal efficient but mine seems overly so :rolleyes:

Deleted User
I haven’t got one on my Rapido Sprinter, should I have?

Spongy

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its not standard Sprinter fitment, at least not on the 2.7 five cylinder engine, at least not to my knowledge. The Sprinter engine is very thermally efficient but it shouldn't take too long to heat up, the last one I had with the 2.7 took about 3 to 4 miles to have heat coming through the vents. I had one of these gadgets on my Range Rover & it is the mutts on a really cold day.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I know of 4 Sprinters with the heater fitted but it may be year dependent?

My Sprinter takes 20 to 25 mins :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back