Radio aerial (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
anyone got a recommendation for putting a better one instead of the abysmal one one my Autotrail Apache Fiat Ducato 2008 ( I believe the original is in the door mirror ?)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
anyone got a recommendation for putting a better one instead of the abysmal one one my Autotrail Apache Fiat Ducato 2008 ( I believe the original is in the door mirror ?)
My van is a 2008 fiat Ducati based a class
My radio Ariel is here bottom of windscreen
Think it's a pioneer but seems to work good
20180423_175703.jpg

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
that looks ok ,where did you get it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We were only wondering today if the radio aerial is rubbish, we lost reception on radio 2 less than 20 miles from home, then it only returned very intermittently. Where would the original most likely be fitted so that we can check that there actually is one. Maybe that's another item where Fiat have cut corners and fitted an inferior one.

Our last van, also a Fiat, was perfect, we could even pick up English radio when we got off the ferry in Roscoff.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
As I understand it the standard fitment for aerials on Fiat Ducato's is in the passenger door mirror.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Yes I also believe they are in the mirror , but need to find out what everyone else are using to get good signals (not dab)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's only one really decent aerial position and type. There's no magic involved and no fancily-described alternative: that is as high as possible, of decent quality, and for some types, with the best ground plane you can arrange. Every other position and type is to conform with styling or ease of mounting. These days I'd mount a dual DAB / FM aerial on the roof (in fact l have). DAB with a decent aerial is brilliant more than 90% of the time - it's biggest advantage in a vehicle is seamless handover from one transmitter to the next with no fade or noise. But FM is there if needed for the few times DAB isn't available.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
There's only one really decent aerial position and type. There's no magic involved and no fancily-described alternative: that is as high as possible, of decent quality, and for some types, with the best ground plane you can arrange. Every other position and type is to conform with styling or ease of mounting. These days I'd mount a dual DAB / FM aerial on the roof (in fact l have). DAB with a decent aerial is brilliant more than 90% of the time - it's biggest advantage in a vehicle is seamless handover from one transmitter to the next with no fade or noise. But FM is there if needed for the few times DAB isn't available.

Totally agree with Tony, there is no short cut for radio reception, use the best quality aerial as high up as possible with a good ground plane,
My A class has a fibre glass roof so made the ground plane more difficult
but when fitted i can receive DAB transmission, practically everywhere in the U.K.,
I used this site to get the correct kit if anyone is interested,
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
so will digital be ok for an FM only radio?
No (although you may hear otherwise). The best dual (DAB / FM) aerials have dual co-ax from the aerial base. There's no reason to buy a dual one if you will only ever need FM. But given the effort involved in running the coax from the aerial to the radio it's not a bad idea to future-proof.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
so tonyidle any recommendations

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Alternatively change the head unit for a cheap Bluetooth unit off eBay and then run a radio app on your tablet or phone through the stereo.

£15 for the stereo off eBay and any radio station you want anywhere :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Alternatively change the head unit for a cheap Bluetooth unit off eBay and then run a radio app on your tablet or phone through the stereo.

£15 for the stereo off eBay and any radio station you want anywhere :)
That requires a permanent mobile data signal and costs mobile data.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back