LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Dumped my Chinese xcody 708 supposed to be motorhome specific .was rubbish tried to take me down little farm tracks no matter what I programmed into it .and I am no stranger to sat navs having had the use of them for many years so do have a fair idea of what to expect....so its sat in the loft somewhere, when I get around to it it will go to a good cause. lol
It sounds like the maps didn't have the all important ftr files (Truck files), which are quite easy to install.

Mine, programmed with 2014 Q2 iGO Truck maps, took me all the way down to Split (Croatia) and back, as well as all over the UK, without any problems. I now have the 2016 Q2 maps, with Q3 also available should I seek them out. ;)
Now then, when diverting to avoid a traffic jam whilst heading North, the TomTom 720 with Western European Truck Mapping, and programming for a 44 Tonne Artic, tried to take me through a farmer's field near Pontefract, to get back onto the A1. :eek:
I already knew my way through the town, and joined the A1 again, after the traffic jam.
It's down to the operator, and how they have adjusted the settings, and providing the correct files have been loaded of course. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My snooper S5000 packed up after approx 4 years infrequent use, main circuit board gone, very expensive to repair, so replaced with a cheap Chinese one, not used yet as we prefer maps and common sense.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So that's a clear & definite consensus then ::bigsmile:.
Bet the OP is really glad they asked !

*I use both the cheapie Noztec Chinese 7" tablet and Waze which a free app on Android using Google mapping :gum:.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Used to have a Snooper, but found the software just too quirky and the maps cost to update. So now have a Garmin 760LTM which for two years now has work well here and also in Europe. :clap:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What it really comes down to is personal choice and cost .to be fair Co pilot is ok but I cant get on with it and the Chinese ones cheap and cheerful However I will stick to my Aguri and Snooper for motorhome and use my trusty Garmin in my car ...so there you have it really four main choices that are of good navigation aids

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Been using the CC Snooper for 5 years, very good but the battery is now playing up. Have now replaced with the Avtex Garmin CC, when linked to their app on my smartphone it's proving to be very good at rerouted get around hold ups. Big (y) up from me

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tomtom Go on Android
  • Accurate up to date speed camera notifications
  • Accurate live traffic notifications and diversions
  • Easy to read map and directions (less time with eyes off roads)
  • Up to date accurate maps
  • Fast, no lag
  • Downloaded maps so not reliant on data
  • It does what it says on the tin, no messing about looking for missing files
  • You can put it on your phone or tablet

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It sounds like the maps didn't have the all important ftr files (Truck files), which are quite easy to install.

Mine, programmed with 2014 Q2 iGO Truck maps, took me all the way down to Split (Croatia) and back, as well as all over the UK, without any problems. I now have the 2016 Q2 maps, with Q3 also available should I seek them out. ;)
Now then, when diverting to avoid a traffic jam whilst heading North, the TomTom 720 with Western European Truck Mapping, and programming for a 44 Tonne Artic, tried to take me through a farmer's field near Pontefract, to get back onto the A1. :eek:
I already knew my way through the town, and joined the A1 again, after the traffic jam.
It's down to the operator, and how they have adjusted the settings, and providing the correct files have been loaded of course. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Jock my Chinese sat nav is on its way to me , where can I get the latest maps for it along with the ftr files :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The problem with all the apps on fones is that you require a data allowance on said fone...
We use all of the following ( often at the same time ! ):
a cheapo Chinese one ( Goldbay 7" truck ) that was £33
A Garmin 760 Camper .. Great in a lot of respects but has put us down some roads that a horse and cart would find challenging )
TomTom something or other ( camper type ) that has been very reliable, has never put on on an unsuitable road but has severe issues when it comes to dealing with toll roads ..
Where as the other two will get you off a toll road asap if 'no toll roads' is selected, the TomTom will not.. Should you make a mistake and find your self on a toll road the TT will presume that toll roads are hence forth what you want and make no attempt to get you off them

TT is aware of the issue and has been for several years.. Each firmware update has come with a promise of a cure but so far, even with the latest units, they have not addressed the problem

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Best Sat-Nav is, so I'm told:
My wife.
She knows every route to every destination. Can calculate time / distance far faster than any of your TomTom / Garmin / Co-Pilot things. She'll know how wide every road on the route is, and whether there are any low bridges to "adjust" on the way.
Also, she'll give instant and constant updates on our speed, my driving style and road / weather conditions. As well as regular chirps of "our we in a hurry ?", and "we need more diesel"
Fortunately, our motorhome has the Ignorethetwat ver2.0 driving upgrade - it came free with the Garmin 760 Camper which I like, and take notice of (y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The problem with all the apps on fones is that you require a data allowance on said fone...
We use all of the following ( often at the same time ! ):
a cheapo Chinese one ( Goldbay 7" truck ) that was £33
A Garmin 760 Camper .. Great in a lot of respects but has put us down some roads that a horse and cart would find challenging )
TomTom something or other ( camper type ) that has been very reliable, has never put on on an unsuitable road but has severe issues when it comes to dealing with toll roads ..
Where as the other two will get you off a toll road asap if 'no toll roads' is selected, the TomTom will not.. Should you make a mistake and find your self on a toll road the TT will presume that toll roads are hence forth what you want and make no attempt to get you off them

TT is aware of the issue and has been for several years.. Each firmware update has come with a promise of a cure but so far, even with the latest units, they have not addressed the problem
Incorrect, CoPilot and Sygic Apps for example have downloadable maps for offline use, indeed it is the only way of operation. You only need to download the countries you require. Easily updated too, not fannying around with loader software and the like.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Incorrect, CoPilot and Sygic Apps for example have downloadable maps for offline use, indeed it is the only way of operation. You only need to download the countries you require. Easily updated too, not fannying around with loader software and the like.
Sooooo.. Any idea what size data card I would need to download:
France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy and possibly top end of Spain ?
That is the trip currently on the drawing board

What is the cost of the app ?
And What is the cost or are they all free to download once you have paid for the basic app ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Found out the prices.. Works out somewhat more ( as in well over three times more ! ) than the cost of the Goldbay unit
Can be cheaper if you just want to use a non truck / large motorhome base but it still costs more than the Goldbay unit just for the app, Europe and the UK ( which is for some reason sold separately to the Europe map ? )

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sooooo.. Any idea what size data card I would need to download:
France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy and possibly top end of Spain ?
That is the trip currently on the drawing board

What is the cost of the app ?
And What is the cost or are they all free to download once you have paid for the basic app ?
All of western Europe is 2.64gb, France alone 572mb, once app paid for install and reinstall maps at will. Price depends, Truck version 109, not sure but RV version 40 ish, google it, I don't get commission!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
And also tomtom go

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All of western Europe is 2.64gb, France alone 572mb, once app paid for install and reinstall maps at will. Price depends, Truck version 109, not sure but RV version 40 ish, google it, I don't get commission!
Thank you for the size info.. And that will do multiple co-ordinate types and post codes ?

re google it ..
I did and came up with similar prices.. hence sticking to the Goldbay !! :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Google maps = superb for real time traffic and re routes. Still slapping it on the back for the 2 hour autobahn jam it routed me round. Also good for bus/foot navigation in most but not all european cities. 3 feel at home provided my data.
Garmin Nuvi = fills in the gap on speeds and legal speed limits, second opinion and discreet backup system to google. Ultimately Garmin proved to most accurate about routes avoiding toll roads across Europe, Google told a few porkies.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thank you for the size info.. And that will do multiple co-ordinate types and post codes ?

re google it ..
I did and came up with similar prices.. hence sticking to the Goldbay !! :)
By Goldbay do you mean the cheap Chinese things with pirate software, that 50% of people on here complain about?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
By Goldbay do you mean the cheap Chinese things with pirate software, that 50% of people on here complain about?
There was also an update issue with some of the Chinese ones ??? Not sure if it was solved ???

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. And I have absolutely no problem at all with either of the ones we have..

I suspect a lot of people buy them and never read what to do with them to get the best from them

For anyone who is having a problem with one, the best tip I can give is to plug them in to the computer ( which you would do anyway to do the updates ) and delete/remove and store elsewhere all the maps and languages you are never going to use ..

I will not be using the thing in any of the Americas, Canada, Australia Russia or China so all files appertaining have been removed from the device and stored in a folder on the computer ( JUST in case ! )

I have absolutely no idea nor care one iota if they have pirated the mapping..
I have done two updates on mine without issue

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Another vote for co pilot, installed on my Ipad (for motorhome) and on phone (for in my car) cant fault it on either !!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
My pad does not have GPS, therefore I need to use the previously mentioned navmii and google maps.
With navmii, once you have downloaded the country/ies you wish to use at home on wifi, that's it. No more data being used as it relies on GPS to carry on working.
I recently went to Cyprus for a holiday and used both systems without any problem whatsoever, both giving directions turn by turn perfectly, with advance warning of turnings and exit points. The navmii gives options for veh. type and dimensions. I accept the size of my phone is a slight negative, but when I upgrade in a couple of months it should be a bit easier, having said that the voice guidance is good.

I also have a TT truck pro which costs oodles and I couldn't even download a Cyprus map for it, and it's an EU country. I tend not to use it as much now.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yup.. And I have absolutely no problem at all with either of the ones we have..

I suspect a lot of people buy them and never read what to do with them to get the best from them

For anyone who is having a problem with one, the best tip I can give is to plug them in to the computer ( which you would do anyway to do the updates ) and delete/remove and store elsewhere all the maps and languages you are never going to use ..

I will not be using the thing in any of the Americas, Canada, Australia Russia or China so all files appertaining have been removed from the device and stored in a folder on the computer ( JUST in case ! )

I have absolutely no idea nor care one iota if they have pirated the mapping..
I have done two updates on mine without issue
Good to hear you are one of the lucky ones.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My choice was a Garmin 760 Camper mostly because the local Aldi offered one for a mere 149 beer tokens.

Having used it, the other things I like about it include:

1. Loud clear volume
2. Easy to see screen even in strong sunlight
3. Telling me when I am being too Speedy
4. Being directed down farm tracks is all part of the fun
5. Emily's struggle with pronunciation of French street names is hilarious
6. The ACSI campsite POIs

The Speedette cringes at Emily's pronunciation of "Bath Road" but that's a minor quibble

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Item 4.........and that's first time I've seen that here. It's usually something like "my stupid sat nav sent me......." I like it - and totally agree. :)

Item 5 - I always like arriving at "Site Europe" :) and her English pronunciation of something like "Rue de St Phillipe XIV de Novembre 19 1987" is always worth hitting the repeat button.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
My choice was a Garmin 760 Camper mostly because the local Aldi offered one for a mere 149 beer tokens.

Having used it, the other things I like about it include:

1. Loud clear volume
2. Easy to see screen even in strong sunlight
3. Telling me when I am being too Speedy
4. Being directed down farm tracks is all part of the fun
5. Emily's struggle with pronunciation of French street names is hilarious
6. The ACSI campsite POIs

The Speedette cringes at Emily's pronunciation of "Bath Road" but that's a minor quibble
Forgot about number 6, did a dump of every known camping POI onto Garmin from somewhere on the net.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Copilot for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back