Q - for those that travelled mls to get their VAN... (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi Peeps....

Well it's getting near to that time... picking it up...

Anyway.... Here's the issue:-

We live in N E Lincs... The van is in Pompy (Portsmouth)..

What arrangements did you make to collect?

My plan is to pick it up then "pop" over to VanBitz ... before returning "up North"

Both of us want to go and return in said van... Soooo .... We're (I'm) thinking of hiring a "one-way" from Avis to get us there....

What did you do to get there, and more importanty..... what did you take for the 1st night in the van - if you "stayed over" somewhere?

JT

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm in Dumfries and bought the van from dealer in Guildford, took old MH as trading in and stayed the night at the dealers just in case any issues none what so ever so headed off in morning

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
First van we drove Leeds to Southampton to collect and stayed on the CC millennium site. Both drove back
Second van I got train to Exeter St Davids

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
had to pick one of our vans in Glasgow we tuck sleeping bags and pillows a tranger cooker knife fork spoon and two cups
stayed in the van and drove home next day we just ended up chipy and cafes and services
bill

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Our first m/h,Auto Sleepers Duetto, I won unseen at auction on ebay .... the van was in Bradford, Yorkshire & we were in Kent.:Eeek:

So, with bankers draft in hand I took a train (or 3 with changes) to Bradford checked out the van and drove it back home.:D

It was a great m/h and the only one I have part ex'd for a really good profit the following year.(y)

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Brought this one back from Stuttgart flew,train.taxi.bought ,sorted export plate/insurance and drove it home via Luxembourg Belgium Dunkirk/Dover

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just bought one from Benidorm -:DREAD MY POST ON TERRY AND MITCH :Dgreat fun (y)but we could have done things a little different :D:D:D
terry
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have used Enterprise One way twice - Recently we dropped our M/H down to Weymouth as new owners couldnt drive it there themselves (a tale in itself)
Enterprise picked us up from buyers place and took us to Dorchester where we did the paperwork and then we drove it round looking at motorhomes and then dropped it off at our local office.
First motorhome we had we picked car up from our local office - loaded it with our bits and pieces for a one nighter and then the sellers picked us up from the local to them office.

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Train to Belper , Geoff cox ( dealer ) picked us up , drove home .
Wife doesn't like motorways , so couldn't follow me home !! , it drives me nuts . were picking up new car on Friday , can't come home on motorway , will have to drive through manchester .

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
You've probably already checked but does the van come ready with gas cylinders? - ours didn't as the previous owner kept them to put into their new van, so if we had wanted to stay over somewhere we would have needed to take a gas bottle with us - or get one bought on pick up day. Same probably applies for hook up lead.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The 2nd MH we bought we flew down to Stanstead and got picked up from there. We took sleeping bags, teabags and 2 cups. Bought some milk and water on our way to the MH. We arrived in the freezing cold, had no gas and never knew how to work the diesel heating. We chittered all night long.
This time we drove to Derby stopping halfway overnight. Got showed how everything worked and drove half way home, parked up for the night and continued home the next day.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Book a train ticket a week or two in advance and have a cheap peaceful journey & get the dealer to pick you up from the station.
We used Airmiles for Eurostar tickets to pick ours up & had a weekend in Lille on route.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First one, the other side of Darlington, we were trading in a car so went in that. Second one, from Birtley near Gateshead, we got one of our sons to give us a lift. Neither were excessive distances but both locations only practically accessible by private transport.

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
We will be driving from Portugal via Spain, France and the Eurotunnel to pick up our new MH in Portsmouth. Two weeks today and we should be sitting in it at the dealers yard checking that all works (or we know how to work it) :party2:It's just transferring our stash of wine that will take the time:)

Our furthest journey before when changing MH's was Scottish borders to Bury. We drove there and back in a day and for an easy handover had taken most things out beforehand.

Kath

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We rented a car one way which we dropped off after getting the van. Because we had the little un we had booked on a site not far from where we bought the van so we could stay the night, plus excited to use it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
A BIG THANKS to you all..

It will have gas... and cables....

One way hire-car... Sleeping bags and a few odds it is then! :)

Everything else can be bought on the fly :)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We were lucky as our new to us van was only 20 miles away. Went to collect it with £notes for the motor trader. We had knocked £4k off the asking price so were not surprised to find it empty,,,, not even gas hose tail in it, but came with many extras. Still pleased with it.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
whatvever you do hiring or train take couple of suitcases with what you need. That's what we do when flying to Germany to pick up vans if not PX'ing. I'd be more concerned with warrenty issues buying so far away, and problems with fitted extras like alarms..requiring a return to dealer/installer :(

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
I think we're going to drive down to Essex, then husband will drive the 'tank' and I'll pootle back in the car, after overtaking him a couple of times, to rub it in, tee-hee! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we drove to Chesterfield then hitched the car to the motorhome with an "A" frame and drove home, thus able to carry all the bits and bobs needed for a few nights.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The van I am looking to buy is 250 miles away.. Suffolk to the Midlands would be an all day ride by public transport.. train to London, underground then a train North.. don't relish that..

Jan hasn't passed her test yet so have asked my son who lives in Kent if he will do the honours.. I will of course pay his expenses plus a bit extra for his trouble..

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We p/x 'd caravan for our latest acquisition. Towed it from south Suffolk to Harlow, then hubby drove "new to us" van back and I drove the car. Only 70 miles so not too bad. As judgemental says, buying at a distance could be a pain for warranty repairs though.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Bristol to Great Yarmouth. 250 miles.

Nothing but cash, card and snacks.

Leave home at 4.30am for 5.00am train from Temple Meads, three changes before arriving in Great Yarmouth at 10.30am.

A much needed brisk walk to Simpsons Motorhomes to collect.

Set off 11.30am, arrive home around 6.00pm.

A couple of weeks earlier, we had spent around five hours meticulously checking the van before agreeing to purchase, so hand over was easy....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
whatvever you do hiring or train take couple of suitcases with what you need. That's what we do when flying to Germany to pick up vans if not PX'ing. I'd be more concerned with warrenty issues buying so far away, and problems with fitted extras like alarms..requiring a return to dealer/installer :(

It's all get-over-able... even warranty stuff... (says Mr optimistic ) ....
that being moi :)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We collected from Darlington, went up by train, were collected at station by seller and drove new to us van to Mother in Law and stayed in her nice warm house! Came on down to Essex a few days later.
Not an arrangement for all, relatives can sometimes be a problem!

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It's all get-over-able... even warranty stuff... (says Mr optimistic ) ....
that being moi :)

Ours only came with a 3 month warranty. The dealer we bought from are quite rubbish and let us down in several ways. But the one thing we claimed under warranty was the middle pipe on the exhaust broke the first time we took van out after bringing it home. We agreed due to the distance they would send one to me. It took them eight months to post a meter long straight pipe to me. When it finally arrived it was the wrong part. So for us warranty was rather pointless.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back