Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
No the motorhome type!
I am currently researching all motorhome classes for a future purchase. There is only the wife, dog and I so are fairly flexible.
After reading threads on here and elsewhere I am drawn to the Vantage Neo, Warwick XL and IH Rio. The wife isn't keen on a PVC but that's because the variety over here which I could view is very limited. I was thinking of buying the van which @chippy63 had for sale as it appeared to be a great vehicle price and a fair price but due to health issues I am not able to travel long distances at the present time so I couldn't view. Fortunately for him but not for me he has been able to sell it
I like the rear lounge layout and the brand quality of the aforementioned vehicles and I was hoping you kind and knowledgeable members might suggest similar models that I am not aware of.
Thank you. Martin

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well , Ralph converted our van to the layout of a rear shaped lounge Ih van. So we are biased. We love the layout and it works well for us. We like to move about , place to place , not stay put with an awning up for a couple of weeks like a caravan.
The only thing that put us off was storage space. That's why he put the gas,fresh and waste water underneath the van . So we've nothing in the kitchen base cupboards or under the beds.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think you are on a loser here. Those that have PVCs swear by them, those that don't swear at them from an owners point of view. You are heading for disappointment if you rely on words when the only solution is to climb inside many.

Hit the road is my advice. It's a pity you've missed some of the big shows this year, there's every shape and size at those.

My personal view is the extra foot or so extra width of a C class makes the difference between a cramped box and comfort and at the same prices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have an Autorcruise Rhythm which has rear lounge (2 x singles or one large double bed) It might be worth considering.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As with all choices it is a compromise. The big advantages of a panel van for me are.
  • small footprint, will fit in a car parking spot at the supermarket comfortably.
  • Will go pretty much anywhere a car can without having to plan
  • solid construction, very rare you hear of a PVC with damp issues
  • bog standard van chassis so any garage can deal with your repairs.
  • better physical security (if done correctly)
The downsides are;
  • More limited storage
  • more limited living area
  • No outside lockers.
I have fulltimed for 8 years now, with almost 7 of those years being in a self converted panel van. I have to say that the PVC has been a lot more practical as a fulltimer as I have been able to go anywhere, park anywhere and park up overnight by the side of the road without any worries.

But as I said at the start, it is all about compromise. The bigger the vehicle the better the living conditions, the small the vehicle the more practical it is for getting around in.
You have to decide on the balance.

My view is that if you move around a lot, then smaller is better. If you go away for a fortnight at a time but stay at one location for the duration then a bigger one would be better.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...and where you go. The more limited living space might be a factor in bad weather.

I've just got a Wildax Aurora & I love it [though there are some build niggles which you get with any new van and I'm sure will be resolved in due course].
Mine is the fixed bed version, which suits me and Kerry the greyhound perfectly.

Wildax also do an Aurora Leisure, either as a standard 6m or a XL 6.36m, which has a rear lounge & front dinette.

Now the big plus point of Wildax, other than they'll tweak their designs to your specification is that they hire out their demonstrators - so you could hire one for a week (might seem expensive but not in comparison to buying & selling because you bought the wrong one/style/shape/layout) which might convince your wife & you that a PVC [whatever make/model brand] is/isn't for you.

Just clambering in & out of a few at a Motorhome show or looking at magazine reviews [or forums] won't tell you what it's like to use in the real world...

and their hire company;
http://www.northernmotorhomehire.co.uk/

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We have been looking for sometime, certainly before last years NEC show, been to a number of dealers as well, completely open minded but had a wish list.

Finally paid the deposit on a Kingham, right layout for us, compromised on the washroom facilities and garage. The overall size suits us, if we need more carrying capacity it will be on a tow hitch, whether it's a trailer or box.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The ih tio rl we had is now for sale by ih motorhomes themselves if you are interested it's up for 43500.00 though:eek:

Karl
No doubt they'll get that too. I'm surprised you never sold it at what you were asking.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for the IH 630, now that they are back to selling them from their own factory the after sales service is excellent. If you ask Carole a question in reception she usually replies within hours. @Ralph-n-Bev van is an IH with a few really nifty extras. Storage is an issue but we did 7 weeks in Spain in it last winter and were fine, you just have to be a bit selective. The quest4 popup awning fits nicely.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Well , Ralph converted our van to the layout of a rear shaped lounge Ih van. So we are biased. We love the layout and it works well for us. We like to move about , place to place , not stay put with an awning up for a couple of weeks like a caravan.
The only thing that put us off was storage space. That's why he put the gas,fresh and waste water underneath the van . So we've nothing in the kitchen base cupboards or under the beds.
i envisage a similiar travel scenario of frequent travel and not stopping long in one place hence the idea of a PVC

I think you are on a loser here. Those that have PVCs swear by them, those that don't swear at them from an owners point of view. You are heading for disappointment if you rely on words when the only solution is to climb inside many.

Hit the road is my advice. It's a pity you've missed some of the big shows this year, there's every shape and size at those.

My personal view is the extra foot or so extra width of a C class makes the difference between a cramped box and comfort and at the same prices.
Sadly there are only a few dealers here and no shows that I aware of so I am very restricted as to what I can physically view. It may be the case that I decide to wait and then visit the NEC.
As with all choices it is a compromise. The big advantages of a panel van for me are.
  • small footprint, will fit in a car parking spot at the supermarket comfortably.
The downsides are;
  • More limited storage
  • No outside lockers.
I have fulltimed for 8 years now, with almost 7 of those years being in a self converted panel van. I have to say that the PVC has been a lot more practical as a fulltimas I have been able to go anywhere, park anywhere and park up overnight by the side of the road without any worries.

But as I said at the start, it is all about compromise. The bigger the vehicle the better the living conditions, the small the vehicle the more practical it is for getting around in.

My view is that if you move around a lot, then smaller is better. If you go away for a fortnight at a time but stay at one location for the duration then a bigger one would be better.
You have very kindly reinforced some thoughts that I had but lacking any experience I wasn't sure if I was on the right track.

...and where you go. The more limited living space might be a factor in bad weather.

I've just got a Wildax Aurora & I love it [though there are some build niggles which you get with any new van and I'm sure will be resolved in due course].
Mine is the fixed bed version, which suits me and Kerry the greyhound perfectly.

Wildax also do an Aurora Leisure, either as a standard 6m or a XL 6.36m, which has a rear lounge & front dinette.

Now the big plus point of Wildax, other than they'll tweak their designs to your specification is that they hire out their demonstrators - so you could hire one for a week (might seem expensive but not in comparison to buying & selling because you bought the wrong one/style/shape/layout) which might convince your wife & you that a PVC [whatever make/model brand] is/isn't for you.

Just clambering in & out of a few at a Motorhome show or looking at magazine reviews [or forums] won't tell you what it's like to use in the real world...

and their hire company;
I wasn't aware that it was possible to hire such vehicles so this is very helpful and will most definitely consider it as you make a valid point. I also like the look of it.

The ih tio rl we had is now for sale by ih motorhomes themselves if you are interested it's up for 43500.00 though:eek:

Karl
Sadly this reinforces my view of why I won't buy second hand from a dealer. I seriously considered buying yours sight unseen but I couldn't have collected it for three weeks

The downsides are;
  • More limited storage
  • No outside lockers.
I have fulltimed for 8 years now, with almost 7 of those years being in a self converted panel van. I have to say that the PVC has been a lot more practical as a fulltimer as I have been able to go anywhere, park anywhere and park up overnight by the side of the road without any worries.

and their hire company;

Karl
I envisage a similiar travel scenario of frequent movement not staying long in one place

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Apologies for the mess of a reply. I am clearly not very adept at multi quotes!
I am very grateful to people for taking the time to reply and offer your experiences and advice. There are some more models for me to research

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sadly there are only a few dealers here and no shows that I aware of so I am very restricted as to what I can physically view. It may be the case that I decide to wait and then visit the NEC.

There are two shows coming up at the Malvern showground make a weekend break of it.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
When I saw the name of this thread, I was expecting something entire different:D:D
41CjgLp0PaL._SY445_.jpg

Upvote 0

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We started with an autotrail. Great when on site, but we hated the restrictions that came with the size. So bought an IH 600rl. So far, this works for us. Great that we can get anywhere easily, much less stress driving. Love the rear lounge layout, and even with a dog and 3 bikes we manage fine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We started with an autotrail. Great when on site, but we hated the restrictions that came with the size. So bought an IH 600rl. So far, this works for us. Great that we can get anywhere easily, much less stress driving. Love the rear lounge layout, and even with a dog and 3 bikes we manage fine
That is exactly how I had been thinking. I just wish there were some decent examples to view over here so I could properly explain that point to the wife!

Reactions: Sue
Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Totally agree with Sue ! We were exactly the same, got bigger and bigger and then decided we really needed smaller. That's motor homing for you! Now we are back to basics with a little bit of luxury for wetter climes. It feels more like camping with a PVC!

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Apologies for the mess of a reply. I am clearly not very adept at multi quotes!
I am very grateful to people for taking the time to reply and offer your experiences and advice. There are some more models for me to research
Have a look at the East Neuek Touring L. Not a million miles from you, though in Scotland of course! Superb build quality and clever design.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were at Spinneys in Holmes Chapel last weekend and noticed they had changed their stock base from nearly all brand new and brought some very nice if expensive used vans in.
I was mooching round some of the pvc's and dismissed a lot straight away but was very impressed by a ih model with a rear washroom and storage right across the rear with blocked off rear doors, this gave a large lounge area incorporating the cab.
Having just bought an eight metre tag Hobby a change anytime soon is not on the cards but if it ever is this is the one I would go for. Didn't get the model number which was a shame though.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Both our vans have been PVC, we love them, have toyed with idea of getting a coach build many times, looked at them, sat in them, but always ultimately stayed with PVC. We have 3 large dogs and no problems with space, we take a drive away Vango air awning for longer trips or pop up quechua for shorter trips if staying more than couple days.
We can park most places at just under 6 meters. We have an exterior boot at rear, many of them do now.
Just make sure you get the right model first time, main deliberation is your bed area, fixed, or lounge front or rear.
We had lounge first and hated making up bed at night. Switched to fixed rear transverse, which has been brilliant for us. Only problem we have now is unforeseen problem with myself getting in & out of said bed long term. I have a debilitating condition which despite surgery last summer is only going to get worse. We are trying to sell ours at moment to swap back to a lounge area but at the rear so I don't have problems in the future. Will stick with PVC though.

Lin:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Here's a link to the IH 600rl website. You might want to your wife's eyes away from the prices.

http://ihmotorhomes.com/?page_id=1781
Particularly if she knew @chippy63 was selling his van on here for £35k and is now on their website for £43k!

Have a look at the East Neuek Touring L. Not a million miles from you, though in Scotland of course! Superb build quality and clever design.
That looks like a really nice van. I see it is made in Anstruther. We visited that area about 30 years ago staying at a place called Kilconkuhar castle. Magnificent fish and chips there and an outstanding restaurant called the cellars. I understand the chef went on to become quite renowned.
I can see us taking a trip back to look at their vans.

Both our vans have been PVC, we love them, have toyed with idea of getting a coach build many times, looked at them, sat in them, but always ultimately stayed with PVC. We have 3 large dogs and no problems with space, we take a drive away Vango air awning for longer trips or pop up quechua for shorter trips if staying more than couple days.
We can park most places at just under 6 meters. We have an exterior boot at rear, many of them do now.
Just make sure you get the right model first time, main deliberation is your bed area, fixed, or lounge front or rear.
We had lounge first and hated making up bed at night. Switched to fixed rear transverse, which has been brilliant for us. Only problem we have now is unforeseen problem with myself getting in & out of said bed long term. I have a debilitating condition which despite surgery last summer is only going to get worse. We are trying to sell ours at moment to swap back to a lounge area but at the rear so I don't have problems in the future. Will stick with PVC though.

Lin:)
I agree making the beds up at night will be a pain but as you say having the flexibility of parking and the driving experience appeals to me.
Sorry to hear of your health issues and hope you can manage/control them! I too have had some severe health conditions and I am currently undergoing chemotherapy following surgery but like you I am determined not to let that dictate my life choices. What's that saying something like 'better to regret the things you have done rather than the things you have not'.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back