LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 2019 Adria twin pvc. I’ve never been 100% happy with the plumbing and now have a leak under the sink.
It seems like when the pump is in the push fit connector to the cold tap flexes a bit when the pump is on and that causes a leak.
We’re at the start of a two week holiday so I’d like to make some running repairs. It’s also really tight so I’m not confident replacing the connector. Is there anything quick and easy I can do to make the connection better?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Jubilee clips they are holding mine on had same problem today

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would start by putting a pen mark on the pipes going into the connector then, when pressure is removed from system, release the pipes from the fitting, check pipes look ok and refit pipes into connector hoping that they may go in further than previously. But at least to the mark you penned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On most MH taps the push-fit connectors are held in place by a plastic peg between hot & cold connectors. This needs to be removed in order to remove the hot or cold connectors.

Sometimes this plastic peg is hidden from view by the large hexaganal plastic nut which secures the combined H&C tap to the worktop.

From previous experience, I've removed the sink to give better access to the underside of the tap. You may also need to unscrew the tap assembly to access the plastic retaining peg.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Check the flexi hoses are screwed tight into the tap base. Try wrapping tissue around the pipes, above and below the joints on pipes to determine whether the leak is from the push fit joints or from the tap.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We used the push fit connectors for the air systems on the buses I worked on. The quality depended on the supplier. Some would leak from new but the ones that did work lasted until they were disturbed. Also if the pipe is marked in any way you could have problems getting a good seal.
One of the fitters was struggling to remove a fitting until he realised there was still pressure in the system.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not clear from your description but i guess this is on the pressure side ?

They can become loose over time as pumps come on/off, worth checking it's seated correctly.

If there is movement then the pipe can have grooves worn into it which worsens the problem, worth trimming off 10mm of pipe to make a clean joint again, just make sure it's cleanly and squarely cut.

I ask if it's on the pressure side (99% it will be) as it there is an upstream blockage or flow reduction then that will create additional pressure which can cause joints to leak although the flow reduction would be noticeable at the tap.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks very much everyone.
- The leak is pressure side. The flow from the tap isn’t noticeably reduced though. I’ll try and check this.
- The sink is a combination sink/hob so not easily or safely removed :-( one for the dealer
The pipes are fairly tightly connected and I can’t remove them easily. Maybe I need to unclip them lower down.

I did manage to wiggle the pipes to stop the pressure moving the joint so much but it feels like a matter of time until it leaks again. I suspect I only spotted it this time because we’re only pitched for one night and didn’t fully level the van :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a 2019 Adria twin pvc. I’ve never been 100% happy with the plumbing and now have a leak under the sink.
It seems like when the pump is in the push fit connector to the cold tap flexes a bit when the pump is on and that causes a leak.
We’re at the start of a two week holiday so I’d like to make some running repairs. It’s also really tight so I’m not confident replacing the connector. Is there anything quick and easy I can do to make the connection better?

You might find that your plastic pipes need inserts to hold them in shape when using pushfit joints. Do you have them in your pipes?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You might find that your plastic pipes need inserts to hold them in shape when using pushfit joints. Do you have them in your pipes?

First, go around the pipes and, when not under pressure, try pushing pipes into joint.
If still leaking, the SuperSealers inserts are best (IF you can get them in 12mm)
I have renewed most of my pipes and joints because, over winter, some came loose and leaked (possibly after becoming partially frozen, why are joints rarely insulated?)

Make sure you use a proper plastic pipe cutter as the end needs to be a clean flush fitting (excuse pun) against the insert AND make sure it's pushed COMPLETELY in, it's very easy not to.

Hope this helps?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting, obviously something I need to learn about it’s limitations. What is the issue with push fit and amalgamating tape?

It's a good temp fix but not a long term solution to a leaking joint, it also means you need to break the seal you've made if you ever need to remove that joint.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Adria Push fit connectors are absolute crap. Join the Adria Motorhome owners facebook group and read all about them. The best solution is replace with John Guest fittings and use pipe inserts. They are 12mm fittings and widely available on ebay. If access is ok they are easily replaced. I'd also buy a few spares you will probably need them. straight through, 90 degree elbows and 90 degree stem elbows.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
What about waste pipes? I know they're less likely to leak but I'd still check them.
I’ve certainly heard about a lot of shower drain failures but that’s been due to breakages. Waste pipes not under pressure so probably less likely to leak.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve replaced one elbow with a different one. This area has about 7 pushfits all together and has been a problem since the start. We don’t have another elbow with us. We’re going to get an engineer to look at the whole thing when we get home. I should maybe draw Adria’s attention to our ongoing woes - not a great advert.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
To be fair, I’ve not heard tales of woe from any other Adria owners - might be worth asking?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We had the exact problem a few weeks ago on our Adria (Matrix). As suggestions on here we ordered a pair of elbows and inserts from John Guest, before fitting I marked the pipes with marker pen, then cut the pipes just past the pen marks making sure it’s a level cut, pushed on the new elbows (didn’t use the inserts) and all is fine.
If you want a couple of the inserts send me a PM with your details and I’ll stick in post on Monday.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Billylou im nursing them along. I modified the seat panels to make them easier to get to. The problem (I think) is that Adria made a manifold out of several T connectors and it’s under tension which pulls the joint open. DerryW thanks - I’ll be doing the same. And checking they have inserts.

I don’t have any T spares, only straight and elbow.

Slightly more detail in the main thread. Sorry this got forked everyone Jane’s posting in our travelogue are attracting all the action :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back