Puncture prevention treatment (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Alf,
I have no problem with an emergency repair at all.. In fact i actually sell the kits ! ( and even did a track day on a tyre that I had plugged on the way to the track.. Must say it did bring new meaning to clenched buttocks though LOL !! )

I am afraid the death I mentioned is the only one I have been personally involved in ( actually .. thank goodness ! ) but I have had to recover a few more bikes and riders who have had accidents.. where the rider described the event thus.
This is generic and details have of course varied

I took off from the roundabout, got to about 50 or 60 and suddenly the front end felt as though the wheel had come loose. It was completely out of control and I lost it.

In each case we found tyre goop ( no idea what make ) had been used

I appreciate the stuff has its place in the world, but I stand by my conviction that place is NOT in high performance motorcycle tyres and I shall continue with the group who have for many years lobby'd to get it banned from such use

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI Jaws, interesting what you say, the quick puncture repair (Holts brand) is as you say the goop type,not the Plugs, that's the type i would not use!, but any way please tell me the Tyre your on about on the round about incident,was it tubed or tubeless, if tubeless i can quite see what happened after you have an emergency repair by using this quick type, you must ONLY ride it at roughly 25 to 30 mph as advised on the canister, until you can arrive at a station to put more air in to the right pressures, and also to allow the goop as you say to circulate around the entire Rim, after precise in using the repair liquid, the beed and pressure does not allow for any boy racing,and i think any life that is lost any time on or in mean less accidents does not compensate for any reason , always read the safety warnings on the tin, Regards Alf. ps this is no way meant for any disrespect to your feeling only an aware from myself,cheers.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Now, you see, I never thought of that, good idea. Why are manufacturers going down the "no spare" route is it just a money saving exercise.

I'm sure money-saving is part of the reason, but in the case of some motorhomes - especially larger ones - manufacturers are keen to keep the standard plated weight to 3,500kg. Thus the weight of a spare can make quite a difference to the quoted loading allowance. For the weight of a steel wheel and tyre, you can take quite a lot of personal clobber. :winky:

Our van doesn't have a spare, or any space to put one - and I'm not happy about it - but just have to live with it. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
HI Jaws, interesting what you say, the quick puncture repair (Holts brand) is as you say the goop type,not the Plugs, that's the type i would not use!, but any way please tell me the Tyre your on about on the round about incident,was it tubed or tubeless, if tubeless i can quite see what happened after you have an emergency repair by using this quick type, you must ONLY ride it at roughly 25 to 30 mph as advised on the canister, until you can arrive at a station to put more air in to the right pressures, and also to allow the goop as you say to circulate around the entire Rim, after precise in using the repair liquid, the beed and pressure does not allow for any boy racing,and i think any life that is lost any time on or in mean less accidents does not compensate for any reason , always read the safety warnings on the tin, Regards Alf. ps this is no way meant for any disrespect to your feeling only an aware from myself,cheers.

In each case, the tyres were tubeless and in each case the owners had had the gloop put in by a gloop dealer... I only work on and ride fairly large late bikes ( oft refered to as sports tourers ) such as Blackbirds, Busa's K1400's and the like, so apart from one or two of the quads we play on I avoid stuff with tubes in if at all poss ! :Smile:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thanks for that, i Rest my case, tubes for me on the motor cycle, twice the security, its what agree's with you and you only:thumb:Alf.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tubes are great, but when you have about 150BH at the rear wheel I do not think I would trust em !
I mean, even with tyre securing clamps I managed to rip a valve out of my old 250 Bultaco :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Can only speak as i find,but I had ultraseal put in the wives car by authorised agent,got a screw in the tyre and it went flat.Contacted Ultraseal to complain with a photo of puncture i removed the screw and put a cocktail stick in the hole to demonstrate how small the hole was,they didn't want to know,said it was because a screw had caused so wasn't a clean hole???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back