Puncture prevention treatment (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi

I am changing my van later this month, getting an Auto-sleeper Surrey on a Merc chassis that's what I get for going to the Marquis opening :RollEyes:. Anyway it doesn't have a spare wheel and there isn't really anywhere to put one. Has anyone any experience of the treatments such as ultra seal that seal punctures as the occur, and is there anywhere in the north east that would do it.

Thanks John

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have Puncture safe they have agents all over they called to the house and did the van it varies from £15 - £18 a wheel. look on their web site and email them and they will give you a local contact.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is worth mentioning that contrary to all the absolute old squit the goo sellers will tell you, not one single tyre manufacturer supports or recommends the use of the stuff and if a warranty claim on a tyre is made it will be rejected if ANY type of goo is found.. It is also on the 'should advise insurance company' list of many insurers

If you read the small print it states, tested at xx mph

NO WHERE does it say it passed any recognised tests, only that it was tested.. Clever wording indeed.

Having said that, I am sure it is fine in vans and other slow moving vehicles.. but I and a good many others have been actively trying to get it banned for use in motorcycles after bikers died with it in their tyres. ( A bike can out accelerate the damned gloop, and it can throw the balance out so massively the bike turns in to a pogo stick )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Don't know of latest treatments, but when the treatments first became available although they seemed to work, but they built up a bad reputation with tyre fitters and it could be difficult to have repairs carried out. I don't know first hand if this is still the same, as it has always stopped me using it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I can see have a bike acceleration could outrun the rotating gOOOO... especially if there was the slightest amount too much in play.

also

my only reservation is as you say... what the tyre fitter is going to say !!!! when time comes:Eeek:

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The only other thing I can think of is to get a wheel and fasten it somehow onto the bike rack :whatthe: How much does a wheel weigh ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see have a bike acceleration could outrun the rotating gOOOO... especially if there was the slightest amount too much in play.

also

my only reservation is as you say... what the tyre fitter is going to say !!!! when time comes:Eeek:
many wont touch a tyre with it in and others charge the earth to remove it before attempting repairs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The only other thing I can think of is to get a wheel and fasten it somehow onto the bike rack :whatthe: How much does a wheel weigh ?
or to save weight do as many RV owners do....just carry a tyre without a rim.

if it will fit flat in a locker, then stow soft/bendy items inside it and place a shallow bucket in the center and stow small items in the bucket.

no loss of storage space then.

but be warned....many breakdown clubs wont attend if you don't have a serviceable spare on board so dont tell them initially and the driver might take you to a local garage for repairs..not a recovery, just you and the wheel/spare tyre.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
or...

i got ours done after talking with our local tyre fitter about my options as we dont have a spare either, they recommended using it, and once we'd bought the stuff they even put it in all 4 wheels for £10 all in...i asked about what happens when we need a new tyre etc and they quite simply said, no worries as we know its in there we know what to do with it...they are the place of choice for lots of local farmers who also use it...so not worried,

obviousley may be a different story if we have a problem when we are away...but hell, that could be said of lots of things on a van!! all part of the adventure::bigsmile:

end of the day...its an option...

meant to add...hasnt affected handling etc...quite the opposite it feels better now:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
or to save weight do as many RV owners do....just carry a tyre without a rim.

if it will fit flat in a locker, then stow soft/bendy items inside it and place a shallow bucket in the center and stow small items in the bucket.

no loss of storage space then.

but be warned....many breakdown clubs wont attend if you don't have a serviceable spare on board so dont tell them initially and the driver might take you to a local garage for repairs..not a recovery, just you and the wheel/spare tyre.

Now, you see, I never thought of that, good idea. Why are manufacturers going down the "no spare" route is it just a money saving exercise.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi, i will start by saying this my own personel experience ,and in no way to be taken as an invitation or advise to purchase any such 'goo'.
but i have been using this stuff for a good number of years,and never had a puncture i n any treated tyre, i have though worn tyres out that have been fitted with this stuff and to be honest it is absolutely no bother at all when changing the tyres.i am at a loss to see how a motorbike can accelerate faster than the goo can spin out(i understand the theory behind the comment ,but every time i have found it within a tyre casing it is stuck to the tread area) i personaly have never seen it still in its raw 'goo' state at the bottom of the tyre.
but obviously there must be loads of different makes,maybe some are better than others. hope this hasn't confussed you any more.but i will continue to use it untill i see concrete evidence that convinces me not to .:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My own personal rational for using Sureseal

Before I had a motorhome (3 yrs ago) every time one of our vehicles had a puncture the scenario was always the same- "Ah sir,the puncture is too close to the tyre wall-we're not allowed to repair it" "Ah sir,although your tyre is legal the tread depth is below that at which we are allowed to repair the puncture"
So,any puncture ended up as a new tyre-and once,2 new tyres because the opposite tyre was quite worn,although still legal and "we really shouldn't let you leave here with it like that"
When your are 100 miles from home with only a 'skinny' spare and a flat tyre on a Bank Holiday Mon. you are sort of in their hands !! and they know that.

When we got the Motorhome we replaced the spare with an underslung LPG tank and I used to carry the spair in the underbed locker. Now it's left at home.
Then I decided to try Sureseal in my 7 yr old tyres before replacing them-we travelled 15,000 miles without losing any pressure at all.::bigsmile:
So,when I replaced them last yr I had the new ones treated with Sureseal-another 15,000 miles down the road and one tyre lost 3 lbs as indicated by Jims tyre pressure monitors:Smile: I pumped it up to pressure 3 weeks ago and,so far,so good.

I know that if we get a flat it will be a recovery job-at 75yrs of age there's no way I was ever going to jack it up and change a wheel-so if Sureseal can prolong the inevitable thats ok by me.

Tyre fitters don't like goo because they have to clean the rim scrupulously to get a good seal when they either re-fit an old tyre or fit a new one.
Tyre manufactures don't like it because it can potentially reduce the number of tyres they sell. (I was told this by a manager of a large tyre fitting company)

These are my own personal thoughts on this matter.
Mike.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The American Ultraseal is a fantastic product that works. We did extensive testing on military vehicles in the early 80's and were well impressed.

The same can't be said of the many copies that use the same or similar sounding names. Ultraseal from the USA has been TUV (and similar) tested around the world, it works, its not that messy when the tyre is removed, even after 3 years it still looks good. That can't be said of the copies which are often thinner and break down into a horrid yuk, this gives ultrseal a bad name, even though its not ultraseal.

Ultrseal is limited in the type of punctures it can contain, but its well worth having if you don't have a spare:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now, you see, I never thought of that, good idea. Why are manufacturers going down the "no spare" route is it just a money saving exercise.
money saving, cost cutting, profit increasing...call it what you want, it all amounts to the same thing.

my car is fitted with 225/60/18 V rated (149mph) tyres yet the spare is a stupid 'do-nut' space saver type....inflated to 60psi and good for 50mph for 30 miles :Doh:
no bigger than a motorbike front tyre and looks ridiculous when fitted.

i appreciate large radius tyres and alloy wheels aint cheap but on a £31,000 (new) car i don't think another three hundred quid for a proper spare would put folks off buying the car.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The American Ultraseal is a fantastic product that works. We did extensive testing on military vehicles in the early 80's and were well impressed.

The same can't be said of the many copies that use the same or similar sounding names. Ultraseal from the USA has been TUV (and similar) tested around the world, it works, its not that messy when the tyre is removed, even after 3 years it still looks good. That can't be said of the copies which are often thinner and break down into a horrid yuk, this gives ultrseal a bad name, even though its not ultraseal.

Ultrseal is limited in the type of punctures it can contain, but its well worth having if you don't have a spare:thumb:

Is ultraseal just available for DIY or are there installers.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is ultraseal just available for DIY or are there installers.

Not sure, but I know you can get it here, they have a UK importer, just call them they will let you know. I bought some about 3 years ago for my trailer, it being a single axle and towed behind my RV I'd have never known if it had a puncture, so wanted to do all I could to prevent that. Its simple enough, but its important you put the right amount in.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i used to put green ocho in my tyres . have seen it leak out and spray the wheel arches . have had it that it didnt seal the tyres . couldnt get a patch to stick at all. put in a tube . later had another puncture again couldnt get a patch to stick on the tube . a moroccan heat vulcanized a patch on worked fine .
i do give my tyres a hard life in the desert and up the tracks when away . have had a tyre with 11 small leaks . near the end of its tread life . put ocho in and it got me home from morocco .with out bother . at the time cost about 6 quid a bottle . these days with push in repairs i dont use ocho .but do carry a couple of bottles in case of emergency .
it can be a bit messy to change tyres but very often its not .
i would use it if i have to . i would put a tube in if i had to . i know its not recommended but with care and knowledge it would get me home .
in some cases needs must just as to be done . luckily i cant drive very fast .
this isnt instructions to do anything i do though .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi, i will start by saying this my own personel experience ,and in no way to be taken as an invitation or advise to purchase any such 'goo'.
but i have been using this stuff for a good number of years,and never had a puncture i n any treated tyre, i have though worn tyres out that have been fitted with this stuff and to be honest it is absolutely no bother at all when changing the tyres.i am at a loss to see how a motorbike can accelerate faster than the goo can spin out(i understand the theory behind the comment ,but every time i have found it within a tyre casing it is stuck to the tread area) i personaly have never seen it still in its raw 'goo' state at the bottom of the tyre.
but obviously there must be loads of different makes,maybe some are better than others. hope this hasn't confussed you any more.but i will continue to use it untill i see concrete evidence that convinces me not to .:thumb:
on the other hand, i have been using nothing but air in my tyres for a good years and never had a puncture. :Doh:

luck of the draw...you either get a puncture or you dont.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
money saving, cost cutting, profit increasing...call it what you want, it all amounts to the same thing.

my car is fitted with 225/60/18 V rated (149mph) tyres yet the spare is a stupid 'do-nut' space saver type....inflated to 60psi and good for 50mph for 30 miles
no bigger than a motorbike front tyre and looks ridiculous when fitted.

i appreciate large radius tyres and alloy wheels aint cheap but on a £31,000 (new) car i don't think another three hundred quid for a proper spare would put folks off buying the car.

these space savers really anoy me. has anyone ever wondered what would happen if you get a puncture and you had to fit this 'space saver',you can then carry on with your journey:Doh:
wait a minuite where do we put the wheel with the flat tyre,the golf clubs have filled the boot ,its a two seater,sorry dear you'll have to put it on your knee:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
these space savers really anoy me. has anyone ever wondered what would happen if you get a puncture and you had to fit this 'space saver',you can then carry on with your journey:Doh:
wait a minuite where do we put the wheel with the flat tyre,the golf clubs have filled the boot ,its a two seater,sorry dear you'll have to put it on your knee:cry:
this annoys me even more...the 'spare' sits under the 'boot' (estate car) floor in its own well......

the well is deep enough to take a full size wheel and tyre and i'm sure for the domestic (american) market it will have a proper sized spare. :Angry:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
i see cars almost every day with space savers sitting in a full size hole, i just can't get my head round it. no need for it in loads of cases:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
this annoys me even more...the 'spare' sits under the 'boot' (estate car) floor in its own well......

the well is deep enough to take a full size wheel and tyre and i'm sure for the domestic (american) market it will have a proper sized spare. :Angry:

Not so sure - the only experience I have had with a space saver tyre was in the middle 1990's in a hire car in Florida. We had a puncture, put the spare on, and having discovered it was one of them then had to find a tyre place urgently to get it fixed.

PITA as I don't think you are even sposed to drive THAT far on em in the USA.

biker keith

Free Member
Oct 10, 2012
levignac de guyenne franc
Funster No
MH
b544
Exp
i'm a newbie
ultra seal

Hi

I am changing my van later this month, getting an Auto-sleeper Surrey on a Merc chassis that's what I get for going to the Marquis opening :RollEyes:. Anyway it doesn't have a spare wheel and there isn't really anywhere to put one. Has anyone any experience of the treatments such as ultra seal that seal punctures as the occur, and is there anywhere in the north east that would do it.

Thanks John
I have used Ultra seal for, maybe 20 years in vans cars and motorbikes. Never had a puncture, never had any problems and never been moaned at by tyre fitters. I highly recommend this product.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have used Ultra seal for, maybe 20 years in vans cars and motorbikes. Never had a puncture, never had any problems and never been moaned at by tyre fitters. I highly recommend this product.

And I would guess never had a friend die as a result ?

Kinda changes an opinion when it happens

As said, not ONE of the leading tyre manufacturer recommends it in motorcycle tyres, and not one will cover a warranty claim .. You do not need to take my word for it.. Mail Avon, Bridgestone or any of the other market leaders and ask them what they think :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a thought.. if the stuff was so good in quick vehicles, why is it not used in a race environment ?
I mean, a good many races have been lost over the years due to a puncture..........

As mentioned before, it is ok in slow moving, or more specifically slow accelerating vehicles, but I would suggest it not be used in bikes ( and when I say bikes, I do not mean a little 250cc or similar, I mean proper ( !! :ROFLMAO: ) bikes that are used as intended, at the sort of rate they are built to do.. )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Who races Autosleepers? Clarkson again?

Well I do given half the chance.. being a bit of a numpty and never getting past age 14, I will race ANYTHING that has wheels on it !

As said though, I am sure the goop is fine in slow moving / accelerating vehicles ( Motorhomes, lorries, mosr cars, Harley Davidsons etc etc ).. I rant against its use in performance type vehicles..

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
As my sympathy for your friends death, I must say this, I have been a motor cyclist for more than 45 years, and on several holidays abroad i have taken a quick puncture repair made by Holts bought at several good motor cycle company's,and not once have they made me aware that there was a Danger in using this product, and on one occasion i used the quick puncture repair whilst in Greece on very warm roads,and drove all the way back to the Uk without any problems, i might add this was on a Honda 900cc and drove at high cruseing speeds, after returning home a went to the tyre company and they fitted a tube with out any complaints. So since those days i always carry one in the motor home, car, motor cycle, and can recommend it for emergency use's again sorry for your friends death,Alf.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back