Pros and cons for having new PVC ceramic coated (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have no personal knowledge of ceramic coatings but my current car had Autoglym Lifetime Shine, which I believe is a carbon fibre coating and lesser quality than ceramic, applied at new. I’ve reasesrched as best I can on here but no real answers to my question.

Can anyone offer their experience or knowledge to help me decide please?

I am considering having Matrix Black ceramic coating from Autosmart, who I’ve read on here are a highly regarded supplier of valeting products, applied professionally. It is supposedly good for 8 years & we would likely still have the van longer than that 😊

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had my previous cabr which was second hand and which I had for oveer 19 year treated with Diamondbrite. I don't know what it is but was so impressed that I have had my present car done too.!

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I reckon it's Snake Oil! I had a ceramic coating allegedly applied to my Volvo from new with a little sticker in the window as confirmation. I can't say I have noticed any benefit quite honestly. I compare it to Teflon coatings on frying pans which are suppposed to be guaranteed for 10 years! Perhaps if you didn't use them to fry in!(n) It's easy to fool yourself when you have payed good money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In my opinion if the vehicle isn’t prepared correctly including paint correction you’d be waisting your money.

A lot of main dealers sell what they call coatings using materials that cost a few quid and are a waist of time.

Quality coatings arnt cheap and generally need to be applied indoors and left over night.

Good coatings will make water either fine bead or just fall off the vehicle.

This will make washing the vehicle a doddle.

Wether it’s worth the cost is an individual choice 😊

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
I think sales folk make a huge commission on these coatings. From what I've read elsewhere you can purchase good cleaning/polishing products for peanuts compared to the what you'd pay for a coating and have similar results ( and a few hundred left in the bank).

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
In my opinion if the vehicle isn’t prepared correctly including paint correction you’d be waisting your money.

A lot of main dealers sell what they call coatings using materials that cost a few quid and are a waist of time.

Quality coatings arnt cheap and generally need to be applied indoors and left over night.

Good coatings will make water either fine bead or just fall off the vehicle.

This will make washing the vehicle a doddle.
This is absolutely spot on in my experience.

we have our cars ceramic coated from new, done by an independent local detailer. He spends around 6 hours polishing the vehicle with an electric mop correcting all the factory paint flaws and swirl marks, along with decontamination process before he goes anywhere near the vehicle with a coating.

at a dealer they don’t do any of this prep and just slap on some coating.

our cars always come up super clean, between washes the water just beads off.

like Silver-Fox says, whether it is worth it is really something only you know; personally I think if it’s done properly it’s worthwhile but i don’t think it’s worth getting the dealer to do the Diamond Brite type of coating.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This is absolutely spot on in my experience.

we have our cars ceramic coated from new, done by an independent local detailer. He spends around 6 hours polishing the vehicle with an electric mop correcting all the factory paint flaws and swirl marks, along with decontamination process before he goes anywhere near the vehicle with a coating.

at a dealer they don’t do any of this prep and just slap on some coating.

our cars always come up super clean, between washes the water just beads off.

like Silver-Fox says, whether it is worth it is really something only you know; personally I think if it’s done properly it’s worthwhile but i don’t think it’s worth getting the dealer to do the Diamond Brite type of coating.

My advice would be don’t let a dealer anywhere near the body work.

When my works van used to go to the main dealer I made up laminated signs saying

Do Not Wash

They tend to use TFR and that strips all your wax etc off the bodywork 😳

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I had mine done by Tourshine from new, the main benefit is that it protects both the grey bumpers and side strips if you have them fitted, they don’t start looking weathered, and your bodywork needs to be just soap washed occasionally. Warning do not use car washes do it yourself As they use too harsh a mix for your paintwork.
Use autoglym soap to wash dirt off and you need nothing else.
if it’s done by a main dealer they will charge you a fortune and it will be done by the youngest apprentice in the workshop. Get it done independently.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks to all so far. If I proceed it will be done by an independent accredited individual with overnight indoor protection etc. Cheers for the input.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Decided I’m going to have it done, when our van finally gets here ☹️ and will use a local technician to do the new Matrix Black ceramic coating from Autosmart HERE and will do a review when it is done
Can you send me a message on how much it costs please

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have no personal knowledge of ceramic coatings but my current car had Autoglym Lifetime Shine, which I believe is a carbon fibre coating and lesser quality than ceramic, applied at new. I’ve reasesrched as best I can on here but no real answers to my question.

Can anyone offer their experience or knowledge to help me decide please?

I am considering having Matrix Black ceramic coating from Autosmart, who I’ve read on here are a highly regarded supplier of valeting products, applied professionally. It is supposedly good for 8 years & we would likely still have the van longer than that 😊
Ok I had Williams ceramic coat applied 3 years ago. The Motorhome still looks as new very glossy and any black streaks on the bodywork just wipe off, the cost £500. I have never waxed the van just washed it. All I can say is it seems to work I still get the beading of water on the van when I wash it. The van is outside and not undercover.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back