Processionary Caterpillars Warning Pet Owners (1 Viewer)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Friends here in Tomar (central Portugal) told us they had two nests in Pine trees in their garden . (1km away). He covered up cut the nests off the tree and burnt them. He said they bug… gers were firing their darts as he did so.
Hideous lethal things for dogs. We are lucky ours is never off lead so we can be vigilant but a nightmare otherwise.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Got Ninja caterpillars now, how much worse can it get :crying: :crying:

The caterpillars have a defence mechanism that allows them to discharge the hairs when they feel threatened.

As for setting them on fire, they should only be put on a hot existing fire rather than one that has just been set (for the same reason)
and preferably when they are contained in a bag.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The caterpillars have a defence mechanism that allows them to discharge the hairs when they feel threatened.

As for setting them on fire, they should only be put on a hot existing fire rather than one that has just been set (for the same reason)
and preferably when they are contained in a bag.
We are out there in May, they should be gone by then but just in case they are not I am taking some of the gell you can get to put on the infected area, hopefully that would help and give a bit more time to take my dog to a vet.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We were told certain cedar trees as well
We’ve only really seen them in the broccoli looking pine trees (don’t know what they are actually called) but I’m sure they evolve and change as time goes by.

A lot of authorities had all but got rid of them in populated areas once they were declared a pest but I’m guessing that was relaxed a bit in the last couple of years so they are on the increase again.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We’ve only really seen them in the broccoli looking pine trees (don’t know what they are actually called) but I’m sure they evolve and change as time goes by.

A lot of authorities had all but got rid of them in populated areas once they were declared a pest but I’m guessing that was relaxed a bit in the last couple of years so they are on the increase again.
They are very prolific this year. The locals are saying worse than previous years

• Informative
Reactions: Ven

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our first time in Spain (Benidorm) and found it had a lot of processinary funsters in the bar 🤣🤣
Fortunately many don't have a lot of hair to 'flick' at you! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back