Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Since we bought our mh, anytime we've been out on the road we noticed that almost all mh drivers we see on the road, will give us a friendly wave!! ::bigsmile:riving2::coolthumb: We think this is great because when we had the caravan, other caravanners didn't bother:Blush:
However, we noticed an article in the September issue of Motor Home Monthly, which gives the "procedure for waving" which is as follows:-
Take up the standard hold on the steering wheel (ten-to-two position) and as a vehicle approaches keep the thumb firmly round the steering wheel and raise the four fingers of the left hand in a right-hand drive vehicle.
We were told recently that only mh drivers who are foreign or hiring don't bother to wave.
What do you think?
We are disappointed if another mh driver doesn't wave when we're out and about, because they're usually all such a friendly bunch.:thumb:

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I get annoyed with myself if I miss another motorhomer giving us a wave....:Doh:

It normally only happens if I'm on the motorway in traffic, and they are several lanes away on the other side, and I was concentrating on the traffic around me...... If you waved at me and I missed you, and did not wave back, please forgive me.....:Blush:

It's nice. reminds me of a friendly nod between bikers.
It's a small gesture which shows it's a friendly community......:thanks::thanks:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I have to admit, I have got so fed up of waving and getting no response, that I have just given up. So I dont bother to wave anymore. Sorry.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Callumwa!
We were across in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks back.......we might just have waved to each other!:roflmto::thumb:
We must keep waving, it's heartwarming to get a wave back!:thumb:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Gonewiththewind!:Smile:
No, you can't give up waving! You'll end up as miserable as some of the caravanners that pass us on the road..........:Blush:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I heard another story about car drivers who wave to other drivers who are driving the same make of car.......some just lift one finger and others a full hand wave! The Volvo drivers caused a bit of bother though, with giving the two fingered "V" for Volvo........:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well, I release the steering wheel completely, Stand on the Seat, Hold one hand on the cab bed and wave frantically with the other ::bigsmile:

Then, if there is no response, I turn round and shoot at the offending vehicle from the rear window. :winky:

Think I might of hit gonewith the wind last week. :ROFLMAO:

TBH, we always acknowledge another van, if they don't us, we consul ourselves in the fact that its either a Hire van, or it's a Hymer and we waved to them before they waved to us, thus breaking all the rules of the hymer owners club. :RollEyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I read the "procedure for safe waving" in MMM and assumed that it was either someone who worked in "elf'n'safety", were 80 years old and bored or they were simply being ironic. As per some comments back to the original mention on a forum somewhere, how on earth does the driver change gear, use indicators, operate switches, pick..... - you get the picture.

We always try to wave at all other motorhomes (though have largely given up on VW campers as unfortunately the response rate is fairly close to zero) and do it in the traditional manner, that is, using all the fingers of the hand freely waved. The single or double digit wave is left for certain other road users but hardly ever used. Mrs Deluxe is usually thinking about something else, so the wave is a bit late from the passenger seat.

Keep waving - it's good fun

P.S. no bored 80 years olds were harmed in the making of this post :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Always wave when in mh and sometimes in car wonder why other motorhomers dont wave at me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think a friendly wave between vans is great, the greatest response we ever got was from a foreign van while touring in Scotland. On seeing them gave customary wave and we thought the lady would shake her hand off, and the smile she gave us made our day.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Article in MMM is a really good example of why I, and a good many like me, would not bother to buy the bloody rag.

It seems to be infested with idiots and those that presume you and I are idiots.

I wonder if the person who penned the article has a radio in their vehicle ? Do they pull over and stop every time they wish to make an adjustment ?

I can only presume they drive an automatic vehicle so as to ensure they do not have to take a hand off the wheel ?

I flash and wave at all motorhomes.. Most wave back and the few that do not I put down to as a user of 'another place' and no fun at all ! :winky:

Oh, and afore folk say I should not flash etc.. DILLIGAF !!

I will continue as best I can to live life as I see fit, and not be brain washed by H & S types who cannot get a real job !! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always wave when in mh and sometimes in car wonder why other motorhomers dont wave at me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL !! Rest assured you are not alone !

I am a biker and I drive a Smart Car

Each group are, in general, enthusiastic wavers ::bigsmile:

The amount of times I wave at the 'wrong' vehicle is unbelievable ... So if a Smarty driver or a biker waves at you, it will probably be me !

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Stuff the mags boring recommendations. I see a MH approaching and make sure my left hand is at the 10 to/5 to the hour position on the steering wheel then when the other van gets close enough I stick my hand up. If they don't wave back I pretend I was stretching my hand so as not to look like too much of a tit to other road users :ROFLMAO:
During my 11 week trip down south I had loads of people waving, especially the 'older' drivers, and some of the passengers/wives went quite batty waving which I think is fantastic. Takes me back to my VW Bug owning days :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I really dont think I can follow the waving procedure.

Hubby would go absolutely mad if I started placing my hands on the steering wheel whilst he was driving :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Meanwhile we will both continue to wave frantically at the motorhomers we pass

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Per the above,

Nothing wrong with Health and safety - it is a culture that works, prevents accidents and saves lives when incidents do occur. My gripe is - as above - against "elf'n'safety" where people don't inhabit the real world that we live in and wouldn't know a proper risk assessment even if it reared up and slapped them around the face with a wet kipper.

Had to say that just in case a casual reader thought that we were bring somehow flippant about safety. Thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My gripe is - as above - against "elf'n'safety" where people don't inhabit the real world that we live in and wouldn't know a proper risk assessment even if it reared up and slapped them around the face with a wet kipper.
I agree completely..
Sadly that encompasses every bloody H S E rep I have ever had the misfortune to deal with in a professional capacity :Doh:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So the article is actually real?

i thought it was a joke :roflmto:

It just goes to show that when I tell my colleagues at work I am a motorhomer they pxss themselves laughing calling me an old grandad. They too must be reading MMM.

What a crock of shite :RollEyes:

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
I always wave to other motorhomers when we meet on the road!

Somtimes it's not possible as it would mean my concentration would be diverted.... eg. At junctions, or if we meet on a bend in the road etc.

My other half always waves also, so we are pretty much covered in that department.
In 1975 I bought a VW Beatle and all VW owners at the time used to wave at other Beatle's! :Smile:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
So who's gonna be the first manufacturer/ accessory supplier to come up with a wave button which operates a flip up waving hand. Bet they'd sell a few of those at the shows.
Geoff.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I hate being snubbed though when they dont wave back.

Providing the kids arent looking they get a discrete "finger". The other motorhomer doesnt get to see it, but it makes me feel better::bigsmile:

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Waving

We always wave to oncoming MHs (that is unless we get fed up being ignored and give up). As previously discussed on another thread here, it may be because we don't drive a Eurovan and may not be recognised as a MH. However, from the experiences of others here, it would seem that not looking like a MH makes little difference.
I would say, however, that many of the commercial vehicle and bus drivers we meet on country roads around here do wave (and get a wave back in response!). Probably because we are a PHGV and look like a bus from the front! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Bill!
See you're down as in "south-west Scotland", we might not be too far away from you.........it's a mh takeover around here!!:roflmto::thumb:
Bill and Margaret

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This "waving" etiquette is really complicated...

For a Classic Hymer 660S owner it takes one of a special breeding to get it right.. luckily I was sent to private school so I had a head start...

One can gently raise and rotate your right hand (anti-clockwise) slowly in a superior manner in the event of you seeing a lesser motorhome coming in the opposite direction... (all non Hymers and post 1991 Hymers are lesser motorhomes.)

It is important that you do this regal wave prior to them waving at you... it must not be seen that they initiating any social contact (a simple case of only speaking when you are spoken too.) Fortunately as classic Hymer 660s proceed along in an aristocratic manner (struggling to reach 50mph) one has plenty of time to spot oncoming oiks in their plastic motorhomes with go faster stripes...

In the event of being "caught out" and having a lesser, non cultured van owner wave at you before you have acknowledged his/her lowly existence, one must pretend not to have noticed and raise one's nose ever so slighty and continue to look straight ahead. This does not occur often as the lesser van owners are most often too busy gazing jealously at the beauty of the classic Hymer to think of waving.

Every now and again one encounters a fellow upper class member of the Classic Hymer breed in which case you just smile knowingly at each other as you pass whilst wondering where they might stop for the night and whether you can scrounge any spares off them...

Of course garish, brash, opulent RV's don't feature in any guides on etiquette as they originate in America, a land oblivious to any sort of aristocracy or good manners...

JJ :Cool:

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
It's a small(ish) world!

Hi Bill!
See you're down as in "south-west Scotland", we might not be too far away from you.........it's a mh takeover around here!!:roflmto::thumb:
Bill and Margaret

Afraid we're more "West" than "South" from your point of view. We're in North Ayrshire (and are on the Members Map) but we love your part of the world and we visit Garlieston CC site often.
I've always assumed that "non-wavers" we encounter in Galloway must be incomers or foreign tourists. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Quote:-
Afraid we're more "West" than "South" from your point of view. We're in North Ayrshire (and are on the Members Map) but we love your part of the world and we visit Garlieston CC site often.
I've always assumed that "non-wavers" we encounter in Galloway must be incomers or foreign tourists. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hi Bill!
It must be something about "Bills", my wife says I'm a grumpy old $$$$ as well:roflmto: originally from Kilmarnock myself, we lived in Largs for a few years:thumb:
Would move back to our beloved Clyde Coast in a minute!!:winky:
Regards, Grumpy Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back