Problems with Visa cards at Lidl in France (1 Viewer)

BOBBYJO

Free Member
Jun 29, 2016
Neath
Funster No
MH
Ford Tribute Autotrail
Exp
Since 2015
Hi fellow funsters, Rob and myself are in the Somme area of France. We've used Lidls several times for shopping, but both our visa cards were declined on Saturday and today. We loaded our Visa card with cash before we left so we knew credit wasn't a problem.
We spoke to our Visa provider (NatWest) and they said there wasn't an issue with our card.
Whilst in Lidl's store the French lady in front of us used her card and the lady behind. No problem. Are they just targeting Foreign user's.
Has anyone else experienced this issue. If so can you contact your provider, to make them aware.

OP
OP
BOBBYJO

BOBBYJO

Free Member
Jun 29, 2016
Neath
Funster No
MH
Ford Tribute Autotrail
Exp
Since 2015
Yeah ours was no problem until Saturday. Used our card to pay campsite this morning and shopping in Carrefour.
Thanks
Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
No problems with Nationwide visa last Thursday or Halifax clarity today in Lidl or anywhere else previously.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Posted twice

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Just a thought, you said you loaded the card, is it a cash card or a credit card? I used to have some weird occasional problems when I used to use a Caxton card.

Malcolm

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Hi fellow funsters, Rob and myself are in the Somme area of France. We've used Lidls several times for shopping, but both our visa cards were declined on Saturday and today. We loaded our Visa card with cash before we left so we knew credit wasn't a problem.
We spoke to our Visa provider (NatWest) and they said there wasn't an issue with our card.
Whilst in Lidl's store the French lady in front of us used her card and the lady behind. No problem. Are they just targeting Foreign user's.
Has anyone else experienced this issue. If so can you contact your provider, to make them aware.

Are the cards Credit cards, Debit cards or "special" cards you have to load with money from your bank account?

We have never had trouble with credit cards but occasionally had debit cards refused - not tried any other type!

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
i had a problem on a toll road sometime ago, which wouldn't take visa, but I always carry a master card as well, so happy days. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had problems with Nationwide CC in May in Auchan & Carrefour. I think the problem is that the end of last year the French started rolling out a new system with enhanced security and older UK cards don't work if the stores have upgraded their system. Our cards were a couple of years old people, with new cards didn't have a problem.

Interesting the new French cards have an LCD display on the back with a rolling security number to cut down on online fraud.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Is the card a cash card and, if so, have you used it for fuel or on a péage? If so, each time the card may have been debited with, say, €125 and it can take a few days for a credit to come through. That used to happen with my FairFx card and for that reason I now use Monzo, which in my experience credits in a matter of minutes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the OP is talking about a Visa credit card that they have credited money to so they have a positive balance on it, that way if they use it for cash at an ATM there won't be any interest charges, not the way you're supposed to use the card but I know some people do it.

However as they're using it as it should be used, as a card to pay for purchases I haven't a clue as to why it's been declined except for the reasons already given earlier by others.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just thought of another reason for it ... I wonder if they only accept Mastercard credit card payments and not Visa which tends to be for debit cards.

Deleted User
I've just thought of another reason for it ... I wonder if they only accept Mastercard credit card payments and not Visa which tends to be for debit cards.

Use Nationwide visa cc regularly in Lidl France,Spain, Portugal.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Never had a problem with credit cards in shops etc. but sometimes cash machines don't wanna play. Have had hiccups with debit and cash cards, usually in automated machines.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I had a few problems with my nationwide credit card in some places in Spain and Portugal but as soon as I presented my Mastercard that was accepted.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had problems with Nationwide CC in May in Auchan & Carrefour. I think the problem is that the end of last year the French started rolling out a new system with enhanced security and older UK cards don't work if the stores have upgraded their system. Our cards were a couple of years old people, with new cards didn't have a problem.

Interesting the new French cards have an LCD display on the back with a rolling security number to cut down on online fraud.
That seems like a really good idea, wish the UK, banks would follow suit.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think the OP is talking about a Visa credit card that they have credited money to so they have a positive balance on it, that way if they use it for cash at an ATM there won't be any interest charges, not the way you're supposed to use the card but I know some people do it.

However as they're using it as it should be used, as a card to pay for purchases I haven't a clue as to why it's been declined except for the reasons already given earlier by others.
Saying that, it does say in the conditions if you load your credit card it is against the rules and it can stop the card:(

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have become fed up with different cards being refused so now carry 3 debit cards, 3 credit cards and 2 cash passports across both Visa and Mastercard. Can be fun at the tolls !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All we have is clarity and a lloyds dc for backup, only place we have ever had to use the backup is automatic fuel and tolls , and at these the lloyds has never failed

OP
OP
BOBBYJO

BOBBYJO

Free Member
Jun 29, 2016
Neath
Funster No
MH
Ford Tribute Autotrail
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Guys, thanks for all your replies and sorry for our slow response, we've been in an area where the internet was trash. In answer to all your questions. Hey maybe as suggested it us they don't like!!!!! Seriously, this is just a visa card which we put money onto before we come away so we don't have to worry about paying bills. Used it today to pay the campsite and shopping at Aldi no probs. So now were boycotting Lidl
Happy days xx:cry::bear::france:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back