Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Can't see what is the problem, it's a GB number plate, one of thousands. some of which are personalised as is ours and have never had any problems, even when stopped on 'routine' checks.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Can't see what is the problem, it's a GB number plate, one of thousands. some of which are personalised as is ours and have never had any problems, even when stopped on 'routine' checks.
It's all to do with the spacing plus any legal plates also have to have the postcode of the supplier on to and not only can the user be fined, so also can the supplier.
Rather than my plates be illegal I kept mine as is but if I was allowed I'd have had EXSIS 55 because it's a 55 plate Exsis but I don't want a fine thank you.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Why would you want to risk it for a plate that does not have no meaning other than having a laugh to your self, there are better ways of having a giggle ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
In a very round about sort of way it spells the op's forum name. Like many "cherished" / private plates it means a lot more to the owner than anyone else. I don't think abroad it would be a problem and it would still spell dazzles spaced correctly. (y);)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I can tell you that if you travel on the A1 through N Yorks you could find a brown envelope in your post with a fixed penalty notice and a photo of your illegal plate. If you happen to be away in your motorhome you will have missed the date and will be paying double. Think that would be £160.
Just saying!
Travel parts of the road daily and have never had a problem

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I know a lot of people have a number plate that they have selected - I just don't understand why!

Dave

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I really don't think you would get pulled in France. Private plates don't exist and they don't get it . We bought our car second hand reregisteted in our dept 5 years old they gave us a number ( next one on the list ) Next car they registered was brand new they got next number .

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
What gets me is that the DVLA sell these cherished plates at auction pricing them as to what they spell and yet if you mess around with the spacing then you get done? Strange innit?
And, they don't sell the cherished plates! They only sell the "rights to display", you never own the number?? (n)

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
And, they don't sell the cherished plates! They only sell the "rights to display", you never own the number?? (n)
Given you can sell on the "rights to display", it all amounts to the same thing

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
So one person says they are called cherished plates so now everyone calls them cherished plates what a load of bull.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Given you can sell on the "rights to display", it all amounts to the same thing
Not quite. Remove the number from your vehicle you will need to pay A fee, if they were yours you just keep on the shelf till sold

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
So one person says they are called cherished plates so now everyone calls them cherished plates what a load of bull.
That's how the Auctions describe them (y)

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
All gone a bit off topic now so thanks to everyone for their input.

General consensus being, euro cops really don't care as long as it looks like a uk reg, which it will.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
we have several registrations and two on on retention. They mean nothing to anyone else but us friends & family, they didn't cost very much from the DVLA. One advantage is its easy to remember your number plate especially when you use the same plate on several vehicles. Our camper van number plate won't ever change.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
To get it back on topic; as said by others there is legislation in place regarding spacing on number plates. This makes what the OP (and thousands of others doing), illegal.

99.99% of the public couldn't give a toss but all it needs is a policeman from whatever country to be "on the ball" to give you a bad day.

Worse still, with APNR all over the world being increased it probably wont be long (if it doesn't already exist) there will soon be software in use that will identify wrongly spaced letters on number plates.

The choice is down to the user; if they want to use these plates and risk "the brown envelope" it is up to them.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
How weird it's getting. I quote @Dazzles previous statement and @Brimal takes exception
No he did not take exception, I just stated that in your opinion I seem to have used the wrong choice of word.
Private plate not cherished big difference then.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Can't understand what OO10 FUN means apart from the FUN part.
Any number plate displayed on a vehicle around my area with the wrong spacing would definitely be pulled over by Mr Plod and given a fixed penalty notice, including motorcycle's.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
All gone a bit off topic now so thanks to everyone for their input.

General consensus being, euro cops really don't care as long as it looks like a uk reg, which it will.

You might get a snotty one as your plate does not have euro GB symbol on it, unless you have a separate GB plate, which we will all need again in about 18 months probably. As someone else said earlier, probably not an issue in Europe unless it's an add on offence.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
To get it back on topic; as said by others there is legislation in place regarding spacing on number plates. This makes what the OP (and thousands of others doing), illegal.

99.99% of the public couldn't give a toss but all it needs is a policeman from whatever country to be "on the ball" to give you a bad day.

Worse still, with APNR all over the world being increased it probably wont be long (if it doesn't already exist) there will soon be software in use that will identify wrongly spaced letters on number plates.

The choice is down to the user; if they want to use these plates and risk "the brown envelope" it is up to them.

We have a local who takes photos of mis-spaced plates and just keeps emailing the police with them. He advised them that failure to do anything would result in action against them and anybody advertising them was inciting an offence. Strange, don't see many mis spaced plates around us.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have three cherished plates same lettering, but consecutive numbers.
They mean nothing to us, but we're bought when we had a chauffeur business many years ago. As they do not spell anything they would be of little value if we sold them, so we keep them as they are easy to remember.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We have a local who takes photos of mis-spaced plates and just keeps emailing the police with them. He advised them that failure to do anything would result in action against them and anybody advertising them was inciting an offence. Strange, don't see many mis spaced plates around us.

There are some sad people about.....

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
IMG_2971.JPG
In The States they call them "Vanity Plates"