Possible to keep the hab electrics on while driving? (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Tried a few searches, couldn't seem to find an answer to this one.

Anyone know of a way to keep the electrics on in the hab area while the engine is running? I don't even know if it's possible from a tech point of view (re system chargers, etc).

Our occasional rear-seated passengers are desperate for phone-charging capabilities on the move and a bit of light for reading (when their phone batteries are flat) :rolleyes:

Sargent EC480 panel on a EC500 box, everything turns off the moment the van engine is started.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's a peculiarity of some, although not all, UK made vans. It doesn't happen with our van. It certainly doesn't have to be like that but how you correct it I don't know.
Ideally there is a relay you can disable. :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think it's unwise. The voltage goes all over the place while cranking.

With our dumb panel that's a bunch of mechanical switches... we leave all our circuits on all the time and haven't had an issue (yet).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I think it's unwise. The voltage goes all over the place while cranking.

True enough, but said gadgets are only running from USB ports in the back of the van, which in turn are wired to the hab battery and should be unaffected by anything the engine does.

Says he, the font of all electrical knowledge :blusher:

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I installed a couple of extra 12v and usb charge sockets fused direct from my hab banks. Very simple to do or get someone to do it for you. Or modify what you have, just running extra cables to them

Live all the time, and will not mess up your vans electrical system.

Parasitic drain negligable or you can switch it if you need to

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I installed a couple of extra 12v and usb charge sockets fused direct from my hab banks. Very simple to do or get someone to do it for you. Or modify what you have, just running extra cables to them

Live all the time, and will not mess up your vans electrical system.

Parasitic drain negligable or you can switch it if you need to
Me too ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not on an Autotrail or most other British made Van's. It's some sort of guideline that the UK manufacturers seem to follow. However contintal Van's don't do it and the jab power works while in motion.
Easiest thing is to run a separate fused feed off the habitation battery and fit in your own USB/ 12v power sockets for direct power.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There will be a N/C relay somewhere, possibly near the control panel or, in my case with two Kontiki's, next to the charger.
Ignition on powers the relay opening the hab circuit supply wire.
Just disconnect the earth preventing the relay opening.
Pot luck/trial & error finding it thought

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Years ago when the EMC Laws kicked in it was cheaper to turn stuff off than pay to test it

Buy European and you can spend a penny in a traffic jam, and flush, buy American, Australian or Japanese, you can have a wee, flush and wash your hands

The NCC now state it as a rule, because they know no different and weren’t born when the decision was made

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Tried a few searches, couldn't seem to find an answer to this one.

Anyone know of a way to keep the electrics on in the hab area while the engine is running? I don't even know if it's possible from a tech point of view (re system chargers, etc).

Our occasional rear-seated passengers are desperate for phone-charging capabilities on the move and a bit of light for reading (when their phone batteries are flat) :rolleyes:

Sargent EC480 panel on a EC500 box, everything turns off the moment the van engine is started.
I have an info sheet that tells you how to fit an override switch for a Sergeant EC500. It works on Autotrails - not sure about others.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Buy a Laika :) We have the habitation power on all the time which also means we can have the heating and hot water on as well. Think this is a throw back to the days of caravans. NCC rules don't allow the habitation power to be on when the vehicle is on the move. It's all a very very British thing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have an info sheet that tells you how to fit an override switch for a Sergeant EC500. It works on Autotrails - not sure about others.
That will be some kind of electronic relay on the circuit board so disconnecting wires from the mechanical relay is out.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have an info sheet that tells you how to fit an override switch for a Sergeant EC500

Is that something you can share?

If not, I’ll probably go for installing a 12v socket in the rear in to which they can plug a USB charger as suggested above.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Have my inverter on all the time whilst traveling, Germans have big debates about running their 230vac whilst under way to the best advantage.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Have my inverter on all the time whilst traveling, Germans have big debates about running their 230vac whilst under way to the best advantage.
The advantage of that is when you use a slow cooker! Chuck everything in the pot, drive, arrive to a hot meal with no wait! Great in the Winter.

And no I don't care its dangerous (y)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Hi Steve, as requested can you please share the sheet with others on here sounds like it's much in demand. Cheers.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The advantage of that is when you use a slow cooker! Chuck everything in the pot, drive, arrive to a hot meal with no wait! Great in the Winter.

And no I don't care its dangerous (y)

Hi Eddie, which inverter would you recommend? the slow cooker whilst travelling sounds like a fantastic idea. Cheers Rob

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
The Globecar can have the hab electrics on when travelling but I tend to leave them off as I worry the vibrations of driving may open one of the taps.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Eddie, which inverter would you recommend? the slow cooker whilst travelling sounds like a fantastic idea. Cheers Rob
We recommend Victron or Sterling inverters. On my van I have an inverter/charger which is on all the time, with all of the 13 amp sockets available via the inverter

This means in addition to using a slow cooker, all the usual stuff can be used, chargers, eBike chargers etc. We drove back from the NEC in February, and gave our Daughter in Law a lift. Lyn (my wife) drove, Rach sat up front with her, whilst I watched the rugby, on demand on the TV all mains equipment via the inverter

There is no real need to compromise despite what the luddites say ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Steve, as requested can you please share the sheet with others on here sounds like it's much in demand. Cheers.
It is a slightly different mod on different Sargent units, but to be fair to Sargent give them a call and tell them your model number and they will tell you what to do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back