Portable Power Supplies for Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Her's my take on the popularity of these, natty Jack/Blue/Eco things

Some will agree plenty won't, let me know your use-cases below and I'll update the article with any good ones (y)

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Good take on the craze Jim
I like so many on here sometimes watch these types of video, but I usually get earache when I pull the vids to bits off my other half lol.
Unfortunately “Steve” for me is firmly in the likes and sponsors chasing camp and I think that vid is the only one I’ve seen that he doesn’t have his channel logo all over his top.
I cannot give a best use for us as we have a couple of newish batterie, just fitted before we bought van, not the best but a fair middle grade pair so no need to change yet.
They are very portable so could be used at trade stands or events possibly where you don’t have power?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unfortunately “Steve” for me is firmly in the likes and sponsors chasing camp and I think that vid is the only one I’ve seen that he doesn’t have his channel logo all over his top.

I don't have time for much youtube and I find most of it excruciating to watch. That's the only video I have watched from that channel, so I have no idea what they are like. I just thought it was a good video explaining the difference between those models (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Wish they had been around during my "tenting" days..
That really is the only scenario that I can see their worth👍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A fair conclusion. I have a lithium set up in the motorhome and a PPS for home use. On a couple of trips I have taken the PPS with me but only in case others I was wild camping with needed it. Handy for home use where I need it for charging our e-bikes and powering my CPAP in power cuts, we have had 3 in one year. I don’t even go for the soon to be changing vans argument. My lithium battery, B2B and inverter were all moved from my previous motorhome to my current one. Would I buy one solely for motorhome use, no.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I don't have time for much youtube and I find most of it excruciating to watch. That's the only video I have watched from that channel, so I have no idea what they are like. I just thought it was a good video explaining the difference between those models (y)
I don’t think I have ever got any further than 30 seconds into any YouTube video before losing the will to live , sharp objects suddenly become your best friend if not hidden from sight 😂

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Good article. I ummed and arred about getting one of these for over a year before getting a prelaunch deal on one of the big daddy's of them all the Anker 767, plus a pair of 120w Elecaenta folding panels.We sold our existing motorhome December 21 after ordering a new A class (our 4th motorhome) in October 21 which we initially expected March 22. We still have no firm date but fortunate to also have for the last 20 years, a classic VW which we use for VW rallies. and the odd night away using our motorhome for the winter months and longer trips abroad.
We have therefore had to use the Vw much more since 2021, including off grid long weekends but with only a rudimentary leisure side, struggled.My plan was to install lithium and a large inverter into the new van but having bought the Anker, it will greatly enhance life in the Vw this Spring/Summer (including allowing us to use the portable induction hob and cut down on gas) and very likely save me (or delay) having to install lithiums into the new van as it will come with 2x110amp lead batteries.I'm also finding the Anker really useful to power tools away from the house and charge my emtb on trips to Bike Park Wales and the like.I agree that for most motorhomers you'd generally be better off investing the money into the van's infrastructure.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I bought my PPS mainly for home use, as an emergency power source. It was on a reduced price offer, about £1,200 for a 1.5KWh gadget with built-in charger. At that price, it appeared to provide more bang for the buck compared to its rivals. Since getting it we have had one unannounced power cut, so it wasn't a wasted purchase.

Its main claims are ability to provide 2000 watts at 230v and 4000 watts surge - enough to cope with a fridge freezer start-up current. Most PPS can't handle a surge like that and would trip. It has plenty of different sockets including 4 of the UK 230v 3 pin ones. Foreign plugs also will fit. It takes about 5 hours for a full charge. Weighs about 15Kg.

Another intended use is to run power tools, outdoors, in the garage, or garden shed. No need for a long extension cable from the house. My fence needs fixing soon.

So far, this PPS has been used for operating a TV, a small electric heater, and charging phones, down to about 18% remaining charge. At which point the inverter shuts down.

I won't bother taking it in our PVC unless we will be without EHU for more than one night away. For instance, if we are staying on a friend's drive. We don't have a roof mounted solar panel. This PPS can be plugged in via the van's EHU socket so it can recharge the hab batteries.

HTH

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994

So do you need one?​

If you watch YouTube videos about these things, then with all the oohs and ahhs and superlatives you’ll wonder how you ever coped without one. However watching some reviews I can’t help but doubt how useful they really are for some of us.

I think that just about sums up most 'accessories' from lithium batteries to snow chains...
if you really need them then you already have them
If you just want them then it's up to you how you spend your money 🤷‍♂️

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve seen these YouTubers saying how good these things are but they don’t very often mention how to charge them, it’s as if they are magic and don’t need charging.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If I run out of power with 700 watts of solar 2 x 100 amp lithium and a 12/2000/80 inverter charger one of those is not going to help much. Better off buying a third battery. Though may be beneficial to tenters etc.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a ecoflow mini. 1400w inverter and can fully charge in just over an hour. I was not influenced by any youtubers as I hadn't seen any being reviewed. My motorhome has just a single leisure battery and no easy means of fitting another and has no inverter. The main use for 230v is a hairdryer and the ecoflow will run it daily for a week without recharging.
As for sliding adbout loose in the motorhome it is secured in the garage connected to a single socket in the hab area.
It is an economical way of achieving what I need as otherwise I would need to splash out on a lithium battery, a new mains charger, inverter and a new solar charger and possibly a b2b.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Had an unexpected need to use the Anker last night after coming home at 3pm to find we'd had a major power outage from 1pm.We had a fridge full of food for a wake today so we were able to whip out the plug and we were sorted.Power came on at 11pm so only 10hrs but took away a load of stress we didn't need

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Very good read
81B4AAF6-22E8-4BD6-BB97-A0A9D8395A11.jpeg

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
Never swayed by "Influencers" I work and have a proper job, if I want something I research and buy it if I think its relevant. I have just shelled out £1099 on an Ecoflow Delta (A few threads on here before I bought it) There must be popular because ill have waited 2 month to get mine. For me, it was simple, my Motorhome is brand new, 2 high quality wet batteries already installed so rather than remove them I will continue to run until they die maybe 3 to 5 years. The Delta gives me the flexibility of topping these up every couple of days like I said in a previous post, do you fit a bigger fuel tank or carry a jerry can!!. I am told from Sargent I would need a B2b fitting to compliment a Lithium set up so by the time I bought a battery granted it's bigger and fitted a B2B it's similar money. Lets see how it goes and it can be used to keep the tyre warmers warm on the race bikes

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Never swayed by "Influencers" I work and have a proper job, if I want something I research and buy it if I think its relevant. I have just shelled out £1099 on an Ecoflow Delta (A few threads on here before I bought it) There must be popular because ill have waited 2 month to get mine. For me, it was simple, my Motorhome is brand new, 2 high quality wet batteries already installed so rather than remove them I will continue to run until they die maybe 3 to 5 years. The Delta gives me the flexibility of topping these up every couple of days like I said in a previous post, do you fit a bigger fuel tank or carry a jerry can!!. I am told from Sargent I would need a B2b fitting to compliment a Lithium set up so by the time I bought a battery granted it's bigger and fitted a B2B it's similar money. Lets see how it goes and it can be used to keep the tyre warmers warm on the race bikes
As your motorhome is brand new it should have a smart alternator. With a smart alternator you should already have a B2B, without one you will probably find the alternator charging very intermittent. If you only have a basic split charge relay you may even find the leisure batteries draining into the engine battery when the alternator voltage drops off. You could find your Ecoflow very useful but I suggest using its power directly rather than for charging your leisure batteries if there is no B2B.

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
As your motorhome is brand new it should have a smart alternator. With a smart alternator you should already have a B2B, without one you will probably find the alternator charging very intermittent. If you only have a basic split charge relay you may even find the leisure batteries draining into the engine battery when the alternator voltage drops off. You could find your Ecoflow very useful but I suggest using its power directly rather than for charging your leisure batteries if there is no B2B.
I have a Victron smart shunt installed, and I'm getting 8 to 10amp at best, Sargent told me it doesn't have a B2B and also said the battery charger isnt set up for Lithium Ion, not sure about Lifepo4

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Had an unexpected need to use the Anker last night after coming home at 3pm to find we'd had a major power outage from 1pm.We had a fridge full of food for a wake today so we were able to whip out the plug and we were sorted.Power came on at 11pm so only 10hrs but took away a load of stress we didn't need
Just out of interest - do you know how much juice your fridge used in that 8h period?
Hope the wake went well.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
It is an economical way of achieving what I need as otherwise I would need to splash out on a lithium battery, a new mains charger, inverter and a new solar charger and possibly a b2b.
Exactly my reasoning too and is why I'm still considering getting one (maybe if Costco do an offer on the EcoFlow?). Possibly those people who see them as pointless already have a good setup with an inverter and/or lithium batteries, in which case it probably isn't something they'd find useful. If you already have an inverter then changing to lithium probably makes sense, and if you already have a large battery bank then adding an inverter is probably a fairly easy job. But I still think these inverter/power banks could be a cost-effective option for those of us who would need to totally start from scratch (especially if, like us, you've just changed layout and aren't yet 100% certain how you're going to get on with it!)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have a Victron smart shunt installed, and I'm getting 8 to 10amp at best, Sargent told me it doesn't have a B2B and also said the battery charger isnt set up for Lithium Ion, not sure about Lifepo4
LiFePO4 is a type of Li-ion which is a generic term for all types of Li cells. Leisure batteries will be LiFePO4 but your Ecoflow may not be.

If 8A to 10A is the best you are getting it proves the point that you already need a B2B. The erratic voltage of smart alternators makes them totally unsuitable for leisure battery charging, it could even be damaging them. It astonishes me that some manufacturers are still not fitting B2Bs as standard, they must have either had their heads buried in the sand for the last 8 years or just be cutting corners (more likely). Motorhome constructors could get Fiats without smart alternators until 2019 when this particular emissions cheat was closed. However the leisure battery charging problems were well known, which is why they asked for vehicles without smart alternators so they can’t really pretend it is something new.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Just out of interest - do you know how much juice your fridge used in that 8h period?
Hope the wake went well.
So it's a 750mm wide Liebherr Comfort No frost, about 5 years old so probably fairly economical.50:50 fridge and freezer.It was pulling between 120 and 150watts for I'd estimate about 50% of the time period.The ambient temp was around 21degrees as I was expecting elderly relatives.It went well thanks and no reports of food poisoning 😀

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As usual, a good article Jim. (y)

In my 16 x years of tugging, I would have loved the use of a PPS to supplement the single battery in the caravan. :(
With the current solar, battery, and B2B set up on the MH, the only advance I can make on that is to upgrade to LiFeP04.................when we can afford to. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I hear all that about influencers and sales hype, but I also think these PPSs have some very good uses, and are a solution to a number of problems. It will depend on what you do and how you spend your time, of course, but one use not mentioned so far is the storage problem. If your MH storage site is indoors, or the solar is restricted, a visit every month with a charged PPS could keep the batteries topped up. I know this is a recurring problem in this forum, with no magic solution except taking it out for long drive.

The other good use I can see is if the MH only has a single leisure battery, and you want to have a mains supply to run a microwave/hair dryer/coffee machine, or charge your camera/drone etc. Fitting an inverter can involve all sorts of upgrades to the leisure battery, charger and wiring, but a PPS is an off-the-shelf solution, and is very tempting, especially if you can think of other uses for it.

And once you have a PPS, you'll probably think of lots of uses. A day on the beach, a day out in the car, trimming the hedge, and even running the boiler/fridge/router in a power cut.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
The topping up of batteries is not a bad shout, although depending on your charger you could need to be on your storage site for a few hours to make a difference.

We've got a couple of smaller ones at work. They are pretty useful when we are working in the middle of nowhere and need some mains powered kit (extending run time or putting big monitors on a laptop so a few people can easily see, mains powered diagnostic stuff), without the noise of a generator, or we are using a hired vehicle that doesn't have proper power built in. I've also used them inside our office when there's been a power cut, to give some light and keep basic comms kit alive, where running our genny would mean draping a long power lead to the outside. I've even used one because there was something I needed to do on a bench that isn't close to a socket and it was easier to use one of them than run an extension cable.

But for leisure use I've never been tempted to even borrow one from work (which wouldn't be a problem), let alone buy my own. It's far better to have power built in, neat and out of the way. With the cost of some of these boxes, you can easily pay for a significant upgrade to the on board power.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Exactly my reasoning too and is why I'm still considering getting one (maybe if Costco do an offer on the EcoFlow?). Possibly those people who see them as pointless already have a good setup with an inverter and/or lithium batteries, in which case it probably isn't something they'd find useful. If you already have an inverter then changing to lithium probably makes sense, and if you already have a large battery bank then adding an inverter is probably a fairly easy job. But I still think these inverter/power banks could be a cost-effective option for those of us who would need to totally start from scratch (especially if, like us, you've just changed layout and aren't yet 100% certain how you're going to get on with it!)
I agree, the people who are not wanting one and giving poor reviews are the ones already with a good set up so no good to them.
It’s an “instead of” product not an “ Ive already got a good system” product.

Folk spending thousands on lithium, solar, B2B etc etc, then saying the portable products are expensive?

I’ve not got one myself but know a chap who mainly lives in his van( He has a flat as well as a base)who swears by it, in fact he’s just sold his old one and bought a more powerful one, swapped his van last year and no messing he said leaving expensive equipment on his old van.

He travels round working and charges on site or by a portable solar. He says he uses it when at the flat too.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back