Polishing out remnants of previous company branding from the side of a van. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
The walls of my van still have the faint (but quite visible in some lights) outline of where there was once company branding. I'd like to try and remove this.

Any tips?

At the moment my plan is a drill, some buffing drill attachment (see link) and some polish.

Amazon product ASIN B07SQZ875Y
Any better methods?

Which polish do you use?

EDIT:

I don't see my own link?

These:

51WZDiUSoFL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not the safest option a slower polishing mop would be better.
Sorry to say no matter how goid a job you do they will re appear.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Sorry to say no matter how goid a job you do they will re appear.

At least the butterfly that appears in the bright sunshine is quite pretty. Just reducing it would be good. It's quite obvious in the light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If it doesnā€™t go to plan, it gets serious, you can easily go through the paint. Especially if itā€™s been resprayed and high spots. Iā€™ve done it myself.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
If it doesnā€™t go to plan, it gets serious, you can easily go through the paint. Especially if itā€™s been resprayed and high spots. Iā€™ve done it myself.

I don't think it's had a respray?

How hard were you pressing? If I manage that I'll have to get the spray paint out. šŸ˜± ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Personally I would get a detailing company to have a look at it.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Taking your time you should be able to improve it with a good polish with a fine cutting compound. You're better off with a dual action polisher so that you reduce the risk of generating too much heat in one spot. I suppose what you're actually doing is polishing the rest of the panel to match the areas that haven't been exposed to UV, scratches etc

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Personally I would get a detailing company to have a look at it.

Probably best / easiest however I don't think I care enough to pay the sort of money a professional would want. Not that I have any idea how much it would be. Do you know, out of curiosity?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A respray is the only way to delete the old signage.
It will be engrained in the paint.

I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll post before and after pics too. Nothing to lose other than the cost of the pads and a bottle of T-Cut. If I don't polish through the paint as Landy Andy says I might...

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Taking your time you should be able to improve it with a good polish with a fine cutting compound. You're better off with a dual action polisher so that you reduce the risk of generating too much heat in one spot. I suppose what you're actually doing is polishing the rest of the panel to match the areas that haven't been exposed to UV, scratches etc

Slow and steady to minimise heat. Good tip. šŸ‘

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
the body shop I rented a unit too used an angle grinder with a polishing head on it , I imagine itā€™s much easier to control

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I'd start with a rubbing compound, something like farecla and a microfibre cloth you will have more feel of what's happening what you are trying to achieve is basically removing a very thin layer of paint and a drill with a polishing bonnet and polish will just make it shinier

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Where are you in Cheshire? I'm in Chester and have a dual action polisher plus farecla G10 which is a fine finishing compound and you can give it a try? Can't recommend a method as I'm still experimenting with it myself!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Where are you in Cheshire? I'm in Chester and have a dual action polisher plus farecla G10 which is a fine finishing compound and you can give it a try? Can't recommend a method as I'm still experimenting with it myself!

A kind offer. I may take you up on it when Boris lets us out to play again if I have no joy with the pads and a bottle of T-Cut I have laying around in the shed. Chester is about 30 minutes away. :giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the body shop I rented a unit too used an angle grinder with a polishing head on it , I imagine itā€™s much easier to control
It resembles an angle grinder but it's a tad slower.
Angle grinder running at 10,000 rpm will certainly remove the paint AND some of the metal.
I believe the proper tool runs around 300 rpm.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It resembles an angle grinder but it's a tad slower.
Angle grinder running at 10,000 rpm will certainly remove the paint AND some of the metal.
I believe the proper tool runs around 300 rpm.

That's some speed difference!

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
T cut isn't a polish it's what is known as a cutting compound and it's the most rubbishy sort, Farecla is the main 1 used by bodyshops and it comes in different grades like sandpaper

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could have a look at claying, which is a more aggressive form of polishing. There are threads on here about it if you do a search.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
T cut isn't a polish it's what is known as a cutting compound and it's the most rubbishy sort, Farecla is the main 1 used by bodyshops and it comes in different grades like sandpaper

If I have no joy with the T-cut I have laying around what grade farecla should I use?

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I dont know what I've got because its down ths yard but Boris is using g10 so that is probably ok or if you ask the bodyshop supply company they will give you the right stuff

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Silly statement but if are you building a stealth camper I'd leave the faded livery there it will stand out because people are used to seeing deliveried vans

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don't think it's had a respray?

How hard were you pressing? If I manage that I'll have to get the spray paint out. šŸ˜± ;)
Not very hard, and using a proper polisher. Car had a bit of bodywork done in the past, unknown to me. Cost me a good few hundred to get it put right.

Good luck with yours.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Depending how long the signage was on the van. it could be that underneath the signs it hasnā€™t been sun bleached where as the rest of the van has... polishing wonā€™t make much difference..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back