Polishing out remnants of previous company branding from the side of a van. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I haven’t read all the replies so this may be a repeat.

Why not get a signage company to apply decals of your choice over the marks.

We have had quite intricate designs printed at 2’ x 2’ size, and applied, for £30.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I tried everything and spent hours on my T5. Nothing made any difference. Only thing that made it a bit better was a right good waxing regularly. Didn't remove the signage damage but made it much harder to see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I looked for your old threads to see photos of the outside of your van but can't tell how 'bad' it is from the ones you put on here:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought about suggesting wrapping but you could just having a 'signs' made to stick on, remember you don't have to actually have a sign that will stand out, it could simply be a plain sheet of the same or contrasting colour to the van, just square/oblong etc as required. It will cover the areas for you as I doubt that you'll ever be able to remove the existing sign 'shadows'.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I looked for your old threads to see photos of the outside of your van but can't tell how 'bad' it is from the ones you put on here:

Thanks. I'll add some pictures tomorrow. I've only just seen this now and it's gone dark.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I haven’t read all the replies so this may be a repeat.

Why not get a signage company to apply decals of your choice over the marks.

We have had quite intricate designs printed at 2’ x 2’ size, and applied, for £30.

That's less than I thought tbh. Although I wouldn't want anything too unique. Perhaps something a similar colour over the top as others have suggested.

The buffing pads arrived this afternoon.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks. I'll add some pictures tomorrow. I've only just seen this now and it's gone dark.
Some of your piccies on that thread have 'disappeared' unless of course they were meant to be little red 'X' markings! :giggle:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Some of your piccies on that thread have 'disappeared' unless of course they were meant to be little red 'X' markings! :giggle:

Oh yes. Just one post (59) for me. How strange...

They were all of the inside of the van though, I think.

I've also been having problems posting some links lately.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In my business, we never bought new vans, they would be ruined to quick, so I removed the old signage from vans a lot.

First thing to remember is that you are repairing the rest of the panel, NOT where the wording or image was before removal. The vinyl has protected the paint surface underneath as the sun, cleaning, weather and staining has attacked the rest, leaving ghosting. Use a fine cutting compound on a cloth with plenty of water to "polish" up the surrounding paint, especially at the edges of the ghost image. Don't rub too hard and have a spray bottle of water to keep wetting the surface. Using a polisher straight away or worse a polishing pad on a drill will just do way more damage if you have no experience in using them. Spray paint is microns thick on cars and vans, especially newer ones that are painted electrostatically.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
In my business, we never bought new vans, they would be ruined to quick, so I removed the old signage from vans a lot.

First thing to remember is that you are repairing the rest of the panel, NOT where the wording or image was before removal. The vinyl has protected the paint surface underneath as the sun, cleaning, weather and staining has attacked the rest, leaving ghosting. Use a fine cutting compound on a cloth with plenty of water to "polish" up the surrounding paint, especially at the edges of the ghost image. Don't rub too hard and have a spray bottle of water to keep wetting the surface. Using a polisher straight away or worse a polishing pad on a drill will just do way more damage if you have no experience in using them. Spray paint is microns thick on cars and vans, especially newer ones that are painted electrostatically.

I'll have a go without the drill first. Good tip about restoring the surrounding paint, not the actual shadow. 👍

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Do yourself a favour and fire the T cut in the bin. Painting is the only way you will get rid of it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do yourself a favour and fire the T cut in the bin. Painting is the only way you will get rid of it.
The lad is on a budget and as you will know, painting it right is not cheap and rattle cans of paint would be worse than the ghost image if you don't put a lot of work in

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate has been a van dealer for the last 30 years .He has always used brake cleaner over all panels affected. You are trying to make the exposed paint merge with that which has been underneath & protected by the signs. after that use a decent polish .You'll still get shadows in some light though.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You could get the big guns out😂😂
I did😉
4353DD08-0F48-4164-987F-971679809F50.jpeg
1ECD34BB-E568-4A2D-8DC2-AECE631247E5.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’ve a man coming round to quote me on replacing the bloody things, oh for 6 months off on furlough (fat chance of that) I could have done em myself🙄
Make sure they are replacing them and NOT covering them, that's what some firms try to get away with, once done it's difficult to tell.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Excuse me gentlemen but this whole thread reminds me of this story.

An airline had an accident - not serious, all survived, but they did not want the adverse publicity so an engineer was despatched to cover up the airline name on the aircraft - which he carefully did, by cutting brown paper to fit exactly over each letter. :giggle: The press had a field day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Excuse me gentlemen but this whole thread reminds me of this story.

An airline had an accident - not serious, all survived, but they did not want the adverse publicity so an engineer was despatched to cover up the airline name on the aircraft - which he carefully did, by cutting brown paper to fit exactly over each letter. :giggle: The press had a field day.
Any links?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It's come up nice in the end. I used T-cut because I already had it and the drill polisher. Just lightly applied the T-cut with the drill and buffed off with a cotton rag.

I did the sides without thinking to take pictures before hand. Rememberd when I did the bonnet.

CollageMaker_20210322_140911474.jpg

IMG_20210328_162204.jpg

Thanks for the help and advice, tips and tricks. 🙂🙂🙂

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Looks like its come up ok,we had a part respray on our van(black transit) it came up lovely if i could download pics i would but i cant everytime i try it says pic too big :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back