Police recover stolen vehicles (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
Posted by Cumbria Constabulary on their Facebook page.
Sadly the perpetrator's are not doing anything to help the public stereotypes

Police make arrests and seize suspected stolen caravans in pre-Fair policing operation
Cumbria Police officers arrested two men yesterday (25 May) as part of an operation targeting stolen vehicles being brought into the county ahead of Appleby Horse Fair.
Officers first recovered a Toyota Hilux pick-up truck in the Brough area which they suspected was stolen from the Essex area.
A 27-year-old man from the Kent area was arrested on suspicion of possession of a stolen vehicle and possession of an offensive weapon.
He has since been released on police bail with conditions not to re-enter Cumbria.
Officers then attended Powis Lane in the Long Marton area where they recovered four caravans suspected of having been stolen. Three of the caravans are believed to belong to owners in the south of England, whilst the fourth is believed to belong to someone in Wales. Work is on-going to contact the owners.
As well as recovering the vehicles, a 38-year-old man from the Kent area was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle. He remains in police custody this morning.
As well as the actions taken in Eden, further work was carried out in the South Lakes area yesterday where police officers took action regarding an unauthorised encampment at a field in Kirkby Lonsdale.
Those on the field were given a direction to leave and moved on under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994 powers.
A total of 13 caravans and vehicles were moved on as a result of the action taken.
Superintendent Dan St Quintin, Gold Commander for Appleby Horse Fair, said:
"As we head towards the 2024 Appleby Horse Fair, officers are working to identify and take enforcement action against the minority who either come to the county intent on committing offences or come here after committing offences elsewhere. This will enable the vast majority of people coming to the Fair who are law-abiding to enjoy it.
"The enforcement action taken yesterday was significant but will by no means be the last. Where there is evidence of criminality, officers will be swift in making arrests and recovering property."

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I live in the south of England and had a knock on my door by a man with a certain accent a couple of weeks ago asking to buy my van, I packed it up and headed off to a campsite. Maybe one of those mentioned passing through!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think it said in our local rag that it costs around £350k to police the "event" with no benefit to the local community, in fact, businesses in nearby Kirkby Stephen are closing their doors for all of Fair Week and the crime rate usually shows a bit of an increase around the same time, hmm, strange that ?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Seal the camps and bring HMRC in if they can't show how they paid for the usually expensive vehicles and caravans from their declared self employed income... confiscate them they are either stolen or paid for with undisclosed income

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Seal the camps and bring HMRC in if they can't show how they paid for the usually expensive vehicles and caravans from their declared self employed income... confiscate them they are either stolen or paid for with undisclosed income
Wonder why no-one else has thought of these good ideas?? :unsure:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Few problems there

They park all over the verges.

How do you identify a person in UK unless they tell the truth - or have fingerprints from a previous record? But for that there has to be a suspicion of crime.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
They all claim to be just simple travelling people doing no one no harm but it's billshut. Everywhere they go they leave shit and rubbish. They recently left an encampment near me. They had an old caravan which they used as a toilet. When they left they just set fire to it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you could apply that to quite a few outside the travelling community as well

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Quite probably but I doubt you would find them in such concentration elsewhere
I suspect that HMRC have a pretty good idea which businesses and areas of self employed are the most likely to yield good results from further investigation. Investigating tax fraud in the main part of the population wouldn't be a vote winner though whereas in the travelling community it would appeal to certain sections of the overall population.
I suspect that the common ground is people who generally work for cash

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
They recently had a funeral for a traveler from the village where I use to live, all the pubs and a lot of shops shut but some young receptionist from a hotel took the booking for the wake!! I went through the village on the day and all brand new Range Rovers and Mercs parked on footpaths and in the road so cars were swerving around them.
And yes the hotel got trashed and I don’t think they settled the bill!!!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Programme on TV a while ago...about Appleby Horse Fair..Youths riding gungho up and down main street without a care for anyone, including the Polis who tried and failed to stop them... UNTIL one lad fell off and seriously hurt himself and all hell broken loose when the Ambulance was not there immediately and they prooceeded to turn on the Polis for not getting immediate medical assistance..

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
They recently had a funeral for a traveler from the village where I use to live, all the pubs and a lot of shops shut but some young receptionist from a hotel took the booking for the wake!! I went through the village on the day and all brand new Range Rovers and Mercs parked on footpaths and in the road so cars were swerving around them.
And yes the hotel got trashed and I don’t think they settled the bill!!!
I remember a similar event in a village just outside of Chichester, quite a few years ago now but the memory remains. I grew up up in this village and my parents were living there at the time. The whole area very much affected.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I remember a similar event in a village just outside of Chichester, quite a few years ago now but the memory remains. I grew up up in this village and my parents were living there at the time. The whole area very much affected.
Yes there are a lot of them around Chichester and surrounding villages, large majority are no trouble but it’s when you get the ones together who are trouble it all kicks off. Pub up the road from where I use to live has shut down due to certain undesirables making it their local and driving out other customers🤬🤬

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Last year a pub in Cardiff was fined £5000 for racially discriminating against travellers by refusing to take a booking for a party.
The landlord and staff were also ordered to go on some sort of course so they wouldn't be "racist ".
The party went ahead in another pub.
The travellers caused £7000 of damage to it.

Oct 3, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC- i 680
Exp
I’m a newbie
I live in the south of England and had a knock on my door by a man with a certain accent a couple of weeks ago asking to buy my van, I packed it up and headed off to a campsite. Maybe one of those mentioned passing through!
I also had a similar incident a few years ago but when I showed him my warrant card and told him I had his registration, I never saw him again. Funny old thing.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I also had a similar incident a few years ago but when I showed him my warrant card and told him I had his registration, I never saw him again. Funny old thing.
I had exactly the same thing as have lots of others on here and never saw them again despite not having a warrant card or saying we had their registration! Unsettling to be asked but I think lots have been asked if they wanted to sell as far as I know no one has had one stolen

Dec 1, 2013
South West
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Blandford Steam Fair ( no more) used to be a great place for police to take back stolen caravans. The local large supermarket used to hide joints of meat in the warehouse, apparently, as there was so much theft.

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Last year a pub in Cardiff was fined £5000 for racially discriminating against travellers by refusing to take a booking for a party.
The landlord and staff were also ordered to go on some sort of course so they wouldn't be "racist ".
The party went ahead in another pub.
The travellers caused £7000 of damage to it.
Sounds like he got off lightly with a £5,000 fine. £2,000 up on the other pub at least!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Trouble is they may come back weeks , months later, I was at a Dealers last week and a Ex Met. Police officer said a hooded person came to his front door waving a bar threatenly as as another hooded person was starting his, ExMet man's wife persuaded him not to go out, off they went with Motorhome, but , recovered later with dash wrecked as they were looking for the Tracker, he advised us never put stickers on vehicle saying you have various security devices on vehicle if you do they will still steal vehicle but wreck it internally,just food for thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back