Poland

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davejmobile, Jan 8, 2019.

1. davejmobile

davejmobile Funster

Ratings:
    +74
    anyone got any views on traveling to Poland in your motorhome.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Landy Andy

Landy Andy Funster

Ratings:
    +342
    Watching with interest

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Ratings:
    +2,434
    Been there and loved it.
    People are friendly and facilities same as rest of Europe. I have not looked for or used Aires there.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Ratings:
    +27,305
    I’ve always fancied Poland! I too will be watching with interest! X. Good luck!

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,336
    I’ve not been but worked with a few Poles.
    They have been friendly and like us Brits.
    Nice Country as well I’m told.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Ratings:
    +14,064
    Lovely place to go and visit, went to Warsaw and can recommend the walking tour of the city. Cost free but donations accepted and they are worth a good donation.

The schindler factory is well worth a visit if you want to understand the history of Poland.

We also visited Auschwitz Birkenau in the south a sobering visit.

Stick to main roads, the side roads have potholes that would break your axles. We tried it once and never again

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
  7. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +3,283
    We live in the South of Poland, Katowice.

We have not done much touring in Poland, usually in Slowakia, but what we have done is weekends and wildcamping.

Wildcamping is easy in Poland - no restrictions(or not many) and almost no fences so just pull up where you want. There are so few MHs even in summer that nobody feels threatened. Seen almost no 'travellers' and if there were they would probably be proper Romany.

Not a lot of campsites and 'Aires' except on the Baltic coast. There is a campsite very close to us and it looks OK. So does our yard with EHU, grey drain and toilet in garage, but we are not always here.

Main roads are good as are some of minor roads but some, not all, are bit dodgy.

If MH is over 3.5t one should have a Viatoll box which works on overhead gantries and that is on many major roads - go to Viatoll website. Some motorways, e.g. A4 Wraclow - Katowice -Krakow were on a concessionary system and still have toll booths but not expensive(£3-4 for 100km), if your MH looks as though it could be under 3.5t we have never been checked.

Any other questions please just ask.

Geoff

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like it Like it x 5
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  8. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,758
    Lots to see - it is a big country. Read up on the history of Poland - it will give you a much better understanding of the differences and impact of history around the country.

• Like it Like it x 2
  9. Grianan

Grianan Funster

Ratings:
    +435
    One of my plots and plans is a trip along North Germany and into Poland ... my daughter visited Krakow - Katowice - Aushchwitz - Zakopane last year with her recently ex Polish boyfriend ... photos were amazing!

10. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ratings:
    +3,289
    A collegue showed me some photos of the Polish Mountains, they looked stunning too.
    Will follow this thread.

11. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +9,802
    No experience in the motorhome but will be visiting Krakow, by air, soon.

Poland is on our list of must visit m/h travels so we will watch this thread with interest.

12. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +3,283
    Indeed. Poland and its various bits have a very complicated history, involving Lithuania, Austrian-Hungarian Empire and then Nazi Germany, Russians and the Soviet Union.

Where we live in Slaska, which was German speaking, it is easier with older people to converse in German than English, but not Basia's Mother who was born in Belarus(then Polish), transported to Siberia for 5 years because she was not Russian, and then repatriated to the reconstructed(care of Yalta) Poland.

Churchill and Roosevelt are not liked for giving Poland to 'Uncle Joe' Stalin at Yalta. A view I can sympathise with since the British entered the war on 3rd Sept. 1939 to protect Poland. Plus, so many Poles went to England and gave their lives to fight against the Nazis.

Being an island(s) the UK has largely been protected from the to-ing and fro-ing of wars across the North European plain.

Geoff

EDIT We live not far fron Auschwitz(Oschwiem in Polish) I know enough of want went on there and I think it has been sterilised. Basia as a school teacher had to take her studendts there. Neither of us want to go there. Your choices.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  13. billym

billym Funster

Ratings:
    +163
    We spent about a month in Poland this summer in our motorhome. Loved it. The people, the places ,the history.
    Some of the roads are crap though.

14. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Ratings:
    +5,826
    Hi.
    I am watching to,read about the "White Tower Forest ? Thats where i would be heading,looking forward for tips/places to stay/see...Thanks in advance.
    Tea Bag

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +26,605
    It's on my list for this year's travels if I don't get deported :)

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. lorger

lorger Funster

Ratings:
    +20,713
    Spent two weeks touring in summer of 2017, loved it. Will give update tomorrow as off to bed to get up in 5 hours :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Ratings:
    +13,297
    Been there twice over the past couple of years. Lovely country. Great food. Friendly people.

18. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Ratings:
    +7,542
    My fathers family are from near Katowice and I used to visit Poland annually from an early age until I was 19 when I got told that next time I set foot in the country I had to report for National Service! I haven’t been back since but my sister has and tells me that the family home which was once on the edge of a forest with countryside around is now on a busy dual carriageway near an industrial estate. Polish people with whom I grew up were a real mixture, ranging from wonderful, kind hard working and very funny folk to hard drinking gamblers but they all hated Churchill for giving their country away to the Russians. My dad, who had been conscripted into the German army during the war but surrendered to the Canadians having no wish to fight for the country that had invaded his own was not allowed back to see his mother or sister until 1962 as the Russians considered him a traitor (even though he had no choice in the matter).

• Informative Informative x 7
  19. Rusty Pumper

Rusty Pumper Funster

Ratings:
    +105
    A beautiful country, with some equally beautiful people and history. I worked there many years ago, travelling in SW Poland in a VW Campervan. Some of the minor roads were terribly potholed, others were still cobbled. It may have changed, but as stated above, please do some careful route planning, or check out road conditions on Google maps, if covered or available. Good luck!

20. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,758
    Most roads in the SW we drove on were great. A couple were appaling, the worst that I have driven on in Europe.