Please be aware of how noisy your TV can be (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I expect you'll think this is a bit wet-blanketish but we try to avoid being next to motorhomes and campervans with TVs. They can be so very noisy until well into the night and I really don't want to listen to some-one else's TV! If you have a TV or other means of watching/listening then please think of those around you and keep the sound down. We recently had to re-position on a France Passion site as the owners of a big MH thought it was fine to have a noisy TV with all their windows and door open. It isn't fine, it's anti-social and unpleasant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree but surely it would have been better to ask them to turn it down or close the windows on your side? People don't realise how far sound carries unfortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I was not aware of this, until a neighbour (English) on a site in France got aggressive and came to my pitch shouting and threatening. I am often surprised by people who cannot distinguish between assertive and aggressive. All he had to do was ask, and since then I am always careful about music and the tv

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were discussing the same thing the other night after a van rolled up and didn't even apply their brakes before setting up the satellite dish and turning the news up to unbearable levels.

We ended up having a word, they were German so we looked up the translation for 'Can you please turn your tv down a bit? Its quite loud!' and got 'Kannst du bitte deinen Fernseher etwas leiser stellen, er ist ziemlich laut?'. Turns out they spoke perfect English and were more than obliging, had a nice chat afterwards.

We're not big TV watchers, we mainly watch films on Netflix or catchup. Always surprises me how much TV people watch in their motorhomes...

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
just a thought, as there are many older people that have a degree of hearing loss due to lifestyle or job, many may not realise that their hearing is impaired, or how loud their tv/music is, so a word in their ear (no pun intended) may suffice..
of course there are others that are just plain ignorant and selfish..

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I seen a van at Malvern and it had 2 tellies, one less than the one that parked next to me the previous weekend but didn't come out but had all 3 on from the time they arrived to the time I left.

I have a telly and a sliding door oh oh :unsure:

Then throw in a sliding door slamming on a van with a tv on , heaven. Haha

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
I agree but have to balance it just right between my wife being able to hear it (she is hard of hearing) and annoying those around us. We recently bought a sound bar because modern TVs have their speakers at the back to underneath so you have to turn it up to hear it. We were asked to turn ours down last year which we happily did only for the same people to sit outside getting louder the more they drank. In the end I asked them to tone it down and got a mouthful in return. As I donā€™t, as a rule, argue with drunks I had words the next morning. Didnā€™t happen again. :giggle:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I seen a van at Malvern and it had 2 tellies, one less than the one that parked next to me the previous weekend but didn't come out but had all 3 on from the time they arrived to the time I left.

I have a telly and a sliding door oh oh :unsure:
People with sliding doors always seem to get up so early, thatā€™s only my experience.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
People with sliding doors always seem to get up so early, thatā€™s only my experience.

We do it on purpose :giggler: I was up early at Malvern got up made tea sat outside reading my book then went in to put another fleece on , then the coat as the temperature fell. I got colder and did not want to whoosh slam. Been coughing and sneezing since NO its not been tested. :smiley:

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Most of the sound comes out the back of our Avtex so we bought a pair of earphones each. We only have the tv on in winter and are quite aware that TVs can be noisy. It's the sliding van doors that are a problem, it's about time manufacturers supplies an option. Delivery drivers late at night are the worse.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
...and donā€™t wind me up about small yappy dogs left in empty vehicles, boom boxes in small cars with smaller minded owners, young children and footballs and .......... I do wonder why my grandsons call me Grumpa!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
There is a nack to closing a sliding door fairly quietly, only works from the outside.
Assuming door is on the near side.
Left hand on the handle, right hand palm flat on the door far right hand side level with the slide channel.
Slide slowly to with in 6ā€ of closing and a firm push with the right hand whilst sliding to the left.
Learnt that one early on when leaving at stupid oā€™clock to go to work everyday in a mini bus.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sorry within a MH or Caravan it has to be pretty loud to be obtrusive.....!!!***!!!

UNLESS folks with Friends are sat in the awning having had a few drinks and enter into a shouting contest,

OR

Your in a tent/folding camper in which case you can hear a grasshopper fart and can be heard all over the site having intimate relations.

SO moral of this is!, Respect others and hope they will respect you.

If not pop round and have a quiet word.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My hearing is not brilliant so I tend have the TV a bit louder than I used to but I can't compete with the French oh boy do they like their TV loud but not as loud as the Spanish.

If other vans are close by I do try to remember to turn the rear speakers down as the ceramic resonators Hymer fit in the rear wall are louder outside the van than inside.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I soldered an old mini speaker on a wire for Ann to use, no enclosure just the speaker. Plugs into the earphone socket.

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I agree but surely it would have been better to ask them to turn it down or close the windows on your side? People don't realise how far sound carries unfortunately.
We have in the past asked people to turn TVs down and yes sometimed they are surprised just how far the noise travels. But sometimes they can be totally aware but not care. This time we'd had a long day and it was very hot so we took the easy (some might say cowardly) option and moved.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Jim think may be an issue with site as can't actually say I quoted a post.

Lenny HB

Also have industrial caused hearing loss, sadly in the hearing zone. But could be worse, guys in my industry have Asbestosis issues. So consider myself very lucky.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Where one of a couple is hard of hearing, a TV that plays through the speakers and the headset at the same time would be a boon. I know there are workarounds because my Brother fixed it for my mum. Watching TV with her we'd have the double whammy of super high volume and the infernal subtitles. Now she can wear headphones and anyone else in the room listens at normal volume.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Where one of a couple is hard of hearing, a TV that plays through the speakers and the headset at the same time would be a boon. I know there are workarounds because my Brother fixed it for my mum. Watching TV with her we'd have the double whammy of super high volume and the infernal subtitles. Now she can wear headphones and anyone else in the room listens at normal volume.
Probably wireless or inferred headphones. No good using Bluetooth because of the delay.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Probably wireless or inferred headphones. No good using Bluetooth because of the delay.

Yes he did something with the additional outputs, but she does have independent volume to her headset. I'll have to have a look when I'm next there, because I'm sure it could help in a van when one of a couple is a bit mutton.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The issue of noise whether tv, music or talking has been making me think of late. I'm the type to worry a lot about upsetting others but when someone's noise affects me I tend to think 'live and let live' they are on holiday and if I'm off to bed before them as i do go to bed quite early usually 10.30ish i just put my earplugs in.

I've been living in the van full time since March now and in France since early July and I've been really limiting one of my big enjoyments in life of listening to good music at a decent volume in fear of annoying others. But yesterday decided that I've been listening to other people's rackets for weeks now so decided i would indulge myself, particularly as we are on a quite busy aire with lots of comings and goings and whilst I don't want to annoy people I do need to be able to relax and not think about others occasionally. No one has complained so far. The music is top notch though. šŸ˜‚

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've been listening to other people's rackets for weeks now so decided

I love Spanish sites when every area seems to have a who's-got-the-loudest-speakers competition :D

I can hold my own in the speaker stakes, but you'll never beat the Spanish :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back