Plastic window / paint overspray. (1 Viewer)

Mattbee

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie swapping from caravan
I’m a muppet who did some spray painting (white from a rattle can) upwind of the motorhome and have ended up with overspray on the side of it, including one of the windows.
Mrs is less than delighted obviously so I need to sort it.
Bodywork isn’t a problem, got a whole heap of G3 and Meguiars products that I used to use on my Range Rover classic.
It’s the plastic window I’m concerned about but while I was rooting in my car cleaning bow I found a tube of T Cut branded headlight restoring paste.
Bought it last year to sort the yellowing headlight lenses on my Freelander, worked a treat for that.
I assume it is just a fine cutting compound so I was planning on trying it for the windows but wondered if anyone else has used the same?
Alternatively I have the following available without spending more money:
Autoglym Super Resin polish
T Cut metallic version
G3 bodywork restorer
Toothpaste
uPVC cream cleaner (like industrial Jif)
Would any of these be better?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have used Autoglym super resin to get small scratches off my windows, works fine for me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All I can say is when I was doing the sides of our van with a light cut Meguires polish I did the windows as well and they were fine;) OK I didn't try to take out all the scratches but I think it would have removed a bit of overspray, just try a corner first but not the uPVC cream.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Headlight restorer would work fine

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
whatever you try, dont use old type T-cut as the ammonia content will damage the acrylic

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Mequires PlastX is 100% safe on the windows, avoid Tcut as it has a ammonia and other nasties in it that can degrade certain plastics

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
I would use a clay bar with a lubricant like "born slippy" a completely non-abrasive way of removing overspray. it will be fine on both the painted and plastic window areas.

OP
OP
Mattbee

Mattbee

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie swapping from caravan
I tried the headlight restoring paste. It did remove the overspray but there were a few light hazey scratches left along with the usual age related scratches on the windows.
I do have a Meguiars clay mitt and the spray stuff to go with it so I might try that as well since I was planning on giving the paintwork on the cab a good going over.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
T cut works great on the plastic windows

I've used it many times on many vans

The hymer I have at the minute had loads of scratches on the windows and they came up like brand new using the same t cut I used on the aluminium side panels

Note that was last done 6 months and 5000 miles ago and windows are still scratch free and perfect

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The right stuff!
Mequires PlastX is 100% safe on the windows, avoid Tcut as it has a ammonia and other nasties in it that can degrade certain plastics

Autoglym SRP is not.
PlastRX removes scratches in windows and has solvents that wont damage it long term. Autoglym SRP is a resin polish that also fills imperfections with resin wax that is not designed for plastic windows.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have used Brasso in the past on caravan windows ,gently does it

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have used Brasso in the past on caravan windows ,gently does it
And destroy the window! Use the right stuff! Many solvents cause damage to the plastics that doesnt show immediately and can cause the plastic to craze after time.
PlastRX is only £9 a bottle, dont be tight and ruin your windows on a van worth thousands.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back