Planning for Lithium (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2009
banbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Starting to plan to change over to Lithium Batteries, reading a reply by andy63 disconnected the output of the split charge relay, at first a bit confused why leisure battery voltage was going down, read a few more threads and worked out that the fridge on battery setting with engine running works off the leisure battery, The question is can I use this relay to power the fridge which would run from the stater battery side only when the engine is running observably. Checking the label in the fridge it has power on 12v as 190w which I believe is just under 16a

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
First question has to be , what have you got ? van and any details on electrical systems? schaut EBL CBE Sargent. Then armed with this and your proposed use the experts will turn up and advise.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
It is regarded as best practice to use a b2b and disable the split charge relay with lithium. Late model cbe300 distribution systems have a zero ohm link R37 that can be cut to dissable it orPausim describes a method of disabling using a relay. On my rapido the main 12v supply to the fridge is from the lb via a relay switched by the D+ (alternator running) the alternator charges the lb. The small 12v supply (required to run on gas or mains) comesfrom SB)..
I don't totally understand yor question so i will answer some others.
Can i run the fridge off the LB with engine off.
Yes if you have a votronics mppt controller it has a S+ supply to connect to fridge S+
Its time for bed this next statement may be wrong or confused
Alternatively use the D+ signal Through a switch at the cbe300 to feed the fridge via a relay connected to the aux fuse on cbe300. Yes even im confused now. Night night.

Feb 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
2016 Swift Kontiki
How do we stop the alternator sending charge to the Lithiums. I have a 2016 kontiki and am worried it will cause damage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How do we stop the alternator sending charge to the Lithiums. I have a 2016 kontiki and am worried it will cause damage
The answer depends on what the present charging arrangement is. Are the lithiums charged by a relay that comes on when the engine has started (ie a split charge relay). Or is there an electronic unit between the alternator and the lithiums (a Battery-to-battery (B2B) charger)?

Feb 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
2016 Swift Kontiki
The answer depends on what the present charging arrangement is. Are the lithiums charged by a relay that comes on when the engine has started (ie a split charge relay). Or is there an electronic unit between the alternator and the lithiums (a Battery-to-battery (B2B) charger)?
It has a split charge relay, I have found by removing the fuses (40amp) between the Sargent unit and the batteries, the motorhome thinks there is no leisure batteries. When I start the motorhome, the step retracts and the fridge goes onto 12v. So I am thinking of fitting a relay to switch off the power from the leisure batteries to the Sargent unit via the B+ wire. If I need the charging from the alternator later on (I have 500w solar on 600ah lithium) I will track down the alternator relay and fit a B2B to the relay output??? (Not sure about this logic)

Feb 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
2016 Swift Kontiki
It has a split charge relay, I have found by removing the fuses (40amp) between the Sargent unit and the batteries, the motorhome thinks there is no leisure batteries. When I start the motorhome, the step retracts and the fridge goes onto 12v. So I am thinking of fitting a relay to switch off the power from the leisure batteries to the Sargent unit via the B+ wire. If I need the charging from the alternator later on (I have 500w solar on 600ah lithium) I will track down the alternator relay and fit a B2B to the relay output??? (Not sure about this logic) sorry for the double up. But not sure which way is the right way to reply so people get notifications

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back