Pioneer AVH-X3800DAB Radio removal from a 2017 Ducato dash? (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Anyone have any ideas of how to remove a double din Pioneer AVH-X3800DAB Radio from a 2017 Ducato dash? I have managed to remove the plastic trim ring, and I’ve tried sticking a couple of knives in either side to free the catches, but the radio just ain’t showing any signs of moving from its cage.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
This company has loads of walk-throughs great info...

Screenshot_20231111_144711_YouTube.jpg

Cheers🍻

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
If you can gently take the other black trim off and that may show another fixing for the cage. My 2018 model was held in by four small screws from memory. Page 7 of the instructions shows two removal tools on either side to release the unit so that trim may have to come off, knives are unlikely to work. https://catalogs.pioneer-car.eu/Manuals/AVH_X3800DAB_CRD4923_installation_manual/?page=6
Thanks for your response. I’ll try to remove the outer dash trim to see if the unit is secured with screws. If not, I will source proper removal tools and have another go at that.

Cheers. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've literally just done mine which is the same radio. It should have come with 2 keys that slot in each side then it just comes out. If you need a pic of the keys I will try and find them as I just replaced my radio with a pioneer sph-evo64dab. That's only because I had it spare from my wife's SUV. This one has wireless car play etc on it. Had a small issue then making it look neat as this new radio does not seem to fit the same cage and trim. Had to buy universal cage and then make the trim sort of fit for the moment.
Pic of the new one in below but it's not perfect in my view but doesn't look too much out of place

IMG_2880.jpeg

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for your response. I’ll try to remove the outer dash trim to see if the unit is secured with screws. If not, I will source proper removal tools and have another go at that.

Cheers. 👍
Its not secured with screws, just need the correct radio keys to remove it
These are the keys
RADIO REMOVAL KEYS/TOOLS FOR JVC & PIONEER CAR STEREOS
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JIFA7I/?tag=mhf04-21

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
I've literally just done mine which is the same radio. It should have come with 2 keys that slot in each side then it just comes out. If you need a pic of the keys I will try and find them as I just replaced my radio with a pioneer sph-evo64dab. That's only because I had it spare from my wife's SUV. This one has wireless car play etc on it. Had a small issue then making it look neat as this new radio does not seem to fit the same cage and trim. Had to buy universal cage and then make the trim sort of fit for the moment.
Pic of the new one in below but it's not perfect in my view but doesn't look too much out of place

View attachment 832873
Hey zac many thanks for this info. I bought my used MH pivately and I don't seem to have the radio keys. Based on your post, I will order new keys and try that option first - as opposed to removing the outer trim and risking doing some unnecessary damage. ;-)
Thanks, too, for including the link to the keys. Nicely done, and very much appreciated. 👍

btw, your new radio fitment looks pretty good in the pic. I was looking earlier today at the Motorhome Retrofits website that 125BEER and GMLS kindly advised of. There is something on there about a different surround trim for newer radios but it's the whole dash panel that they talk about replacing. Looks a bit of a big job to me, though - not to mention expensive. :unsure:

(Great slide guitar in this vid, too.)

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Mine is also a 2017 ducato. The actual trim is not exactly flush or not like the previous one. I will see what it's like with my next trip which is in December. The trim is not held in by anything now so if it does come out I will see if i can stick it in.

Is there an issue with your current radio or just looking at upgrading it?

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Mine is also a 2017 ducato. The actual trim is not exactly flush or not like the previous one. I will see what it's like with my next trip which is in December. The trim is not held in by anything now so if it does come out I will see if i can stick it in.

Is there an issue with your current radio or just looking at upgrading it?
Hi Zac, good question.

I appreciate that many may not approve. However, I'm mainly using the radio exclusively as a rearview mirror. (I'm not keen on music while I'm driving. Too distracting for me, in that I can't give due attention - to either the music, or the driving. :sneaky:)

I'm looking to fit an additional camera to the unit and, while there, I'm also looking at disconnecting the reverse sensor wire.
The plan is to use the additional camera, mounted on the dash (UK nearside) and forward facing, as a substitute 'suicide mirror' for overtaking while driving my RHD van on the continent.
As said, I tend to use the rearview camera as a rearview mirror a lot of the time. This works well but, as you're probably aware, when I select reverse gear, this causes an interruption of the video, and then there is this annoying big delay before an image reappears on the screen. So, by not 'telling' the unit that reverse gear has been selected, then the idea is that there will be no video interruption at all.

Hopefully, it all works out. :LOL:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Zac, good question.

I appreciate that many may not approve. However, I'm mainly using the radio exclusively as a rearview mirror. (I'm not keen on music while I'm driving. Too distracting for me, in that I can't give due attention - to either the music, or the driving. :sneaky:)

I'm looking to fit an additional camera to the unit and, while there, I'm also looking at disconnecting the reverse sensor wire.
The plan is to use the additional camera, mounted on the dash (UK nearside) and forward facing, as a substitute 'suicide mirror' for overtaking while driving my RHD van on the continent.
As said, I tend to use the rearview camera as a rearview mirror a lot of the time. This works well but, as you're probably aware, when I select reverse gear, this causes an interruption of the video, and then there is this annoying big delay before an image reappears on the screen. So, by not 'telling' the unit that reverse gear has been selected, then the idea is that there will be no video interruption at all.

Hopefully, it all works out. :LOL:
Ah yes I remember this from when I first brought ours. I overcame the exact same problem by removing the factory fitted single waeco camera and fitting a dual camera system to a standalone monitor just above the dash. I use this for reversing and rear view mirror and not the stereo at all. At the time I was told it was not possible to have the reverse camera view on all the time so this was a better option and one I now prefer.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Ah, OK, that’s different from mine, then.
With my radio powered up, the reverse camera view stays on all the time. (Except when changing to reverse gear, that is. :LOL:) In fact, as soon as the power is switched on, the camera view appears automatically.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
It is also possible to have two switchable camera views (it is on my 2017 fitted pioneer) took a lot of playing with so cant remember how for easy instructions.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, the1andonly. Many thanks for the confirmation. This is exactly what I’m hoping to achieve.
Radio extraction keys eventually arriving today, allegedly, so your post is superbly timed. 👍

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Blimey they have taken time to arrive.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
The first set ordered online were a no show. Lost in Royal Mail’s system somewhere. Eventually gave up waiting for them and ordered another set elsewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back