Picked my ex battery hens today (1 Viewer)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
thought I’d post this, I’d put on thread “ what you doing this weekend” that I was collect 4 ex battery hens. I ended up with 5.

Here is a video of them in the pen with fraggy, my 9-10 year old, last of a flock of 7. She is the Black and Tan one. She is the one making all the noise! She is not used to being in pen all day. We were advised as she was a lone chicken to ensure she was with the new girls to become part of flock to prevent bullying.

They’re not very well feathered, and were in silence. I got them at 10am, they were still quiet but drinking by 2pm. By this evening they were making clucking noises, and being more confident, eating too. Actually had 2 eggs from them today! I had to put 3 in coop and close the door on them this evening as they were on floor of pen. Haven’t closed door done that for 8 years. Fraggy sits on top of coop and has done for 9+ years.

Blast file is too large, can someone help in how I reduce it please?

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good luck with your new "flock" if that's the right word. Our friend keeps them and they are usually the scruffier the looking things you've ever seen when they arrive but do recover nicely.
I think you may have to upload your vid to YouTube first and then post it here. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well done on your new friends. Look forward to photos. X

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
thought I’d post this, I’d put on thread “ what you doing this weekend” that I was collect 4 ex battery hens. I ended up with 5.

Here is a video of them in the pen with fraggy, my 9-10 year old, last of a flock of 7. She is the Black and Tan one. She is the one making all the noise! She is not used to being in pen all day. We were advised as she was a lone chicken to ensure she was with the new girls to become part of flock to prevent bullying.

They’re not very well feathered, and were in silence. I got them at 10am, they were still quiet but drinking by 2pm. By this evening they were making clucking noises, and being more confident, eating too. Actually had 2 eggs from them today! I had to put 3 in coop and close the door on them this evening as they were on floor of pen. Haven’t closed door done that for 8 years. Fraggy sits on top of coop and has done for 9+ years.

Blast file is too large, can someone help in how I reduce it please?

Ooh! Really look forward to seeing your video. We have three chickens. They used to have the run of the garden, but we’ve had to divide it up because the four dogs behave like pack animals and try to eat them....or at least play with them. I think they will get hurt so have protected them as best we can.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Anyone help with upload vid please. Do I have to,as Paul says upload to tube first? Haven’t done that before.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
upload your video to youtube and post the link (embed code) in your next post its all on youtube instructions how to's etc its the only way you will be able to stick video here. start by getting an account (free) etc on youtube. Its really easy

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi @Caggsie1
Sign into you tube (your email to create one)
Screenshot_20190526-221033~3.png

Click on the video icon left of the spyglass ,then select your video to upload and follow the prompts ,when it's uploaded copy and paste the link to here.
Like so

Using phone .

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We had some ex-batts and in the dim & distant I had around 30-40 chickens, several ducks, geese & a goat who I milked.
All very rewarding and good on you for giving them a loving home.
We only have eggs from a friend who has rescues or a small holding in our village who have some, oh and their honey is wonderful.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I thought this was a solar battery thread.....:LOL:

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Another nice story. Would love to do the same but who'd look after them when we are motorhoming.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Poor things glad you rescued them, we kept chickens until last year loved their different personalities though it became an expensive hobby for us when they eventually became geriatric pets.
Will love to see them looking good again in a couple of months.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Another nice story. Would love to do the same but who'd look after them when we are motorhoming.
We have an auto door, bought from @old-mo works a treat. Door opens in the morning and closes at night. The kids are close by so they pop in every couple of days. Works for us. The difference in fresh eggs, I learnt to poach an egg 9 years ago when I had our first egg as the egg white is very firm and doesn’t run all over the place. I’m 57 now!

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Poor things glad you rescued them, we kept chickens until last year loved their different personalities though it became an expensive hobby for us when they eventually became geriatric pets.
Will love to see them looking good again in a couple of months.
Yes, we were on last one out of the original flock. I hummed and arghed whether to get any more. Fraggy wasnt really laying very often, neither the one, Banty, who died earlier this year, Fraggy getting dead naughty, coming over the gate and wrecking all my flower beds, I assume looking for others. Then the auto door has changed the way I think. As it opens and closes automatically it’s a god send. An go away weekends now and not have to ask the kids or neighbours to let the girls out.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
They have names, unsure whose who but here goes. Only name 2 out of May last lot, that were Fraggy and Banty,.
Henrietta, Poppy, Maud, Gertrude, and husband said one to be called Sunday, the largest, as we collected on Sunday!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We had some ex-batts and in the dim & distant I had around 30-40 chickens, several ducks, geese & a goat who I milked.
All very rewarding and good on you for giving them a loving home.
We only have eggs from a friend who has rescues or a small holding in our village who have some, oh and their honey is wonderful.

Honey? From chickens....well I never....:rofl:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Lovely to see them running around and clucking. Freedom, girls! Their feathers will soon grow. Great job on all fronts!

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
They’ll be let out into their part of the garden prob tom, they still seem shell shocked at the mo, two, with the least feathers seem to be most confident. The gate will be opened for them rather than auto door so they get to know where to go in and become more confident and as we’re not away till June now they should have blended in with the routine by then and then to get them to learn to go through auto door. They’re having to learn how to get water from a water feeder rather than a nipple, so that something that didn’t occur to me. Very alien to them! I’ve watch as they dip their beak in the water thenfluster when it’s not quite what they expected. Most are getting the hang of it now though. They learn very quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back