Pets abroad (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it here.
I get that pet passports are no longer valid from 1 January. And that I need to get Fido rabies tested four months before travel, then get a blood test 30 days after the rabies test. But assuming that is OK, how long does that positive screening last? A year, three years, five years? Or God forbid, do I have do go through it afresh every time Fido wants to cross the Channel?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a rabies booster every 3 years is needed to keep it current. dont let it run out by even 1 day or the process starts again.

we are fortunate our dog had his rabbis some jab and relevant test etc in 2010 and is still current

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it is likely that you will need other paperwork such as fitness to travel and probably worming to return to the UK as now.

but, the only thing that looks certain for now is the rabbis jab and blood test certificate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The blood test only needs doing once, assuming the result is positive And that the rabies jabs are kept up to date. It looks as if a Health Certificate from a vet will be needed for travel to Europe. Not all vets can give this but any vet who is authorised to issue passports can. This has to be completed within 10 days of travel and is then valid for 4 months. Worming treatment before returning can be entered on this.
Check out the DEFRA website for the most up to date info.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all that, very helpful. One supplementary - Fido had a rabies jab for his current passport, just two years ago. Does that mean he just needs a test now, or a new jab?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Both probably. This ensures the antibodies are high enough to detect.

Willhamburger

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
Bagworth Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Just the blood test. Assuming you get a positive result you will also need a vet to certify your dog is fit to travel shortly before you travel. Sorry can’t recall what its actually called.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Thanks for all that, very helpful. One supplementary - Fido had a rabies jab for his current passport, just two years ago. Does that mean he just needs a test now, or a new jab?
I was told by a few vets that it was very unlikely to get a pass for the test at one year after the booster, so I certainly wouldn’t risk two years. Either get another booster, or wait a year, and then get the test done with the booster. It‘s too expensive to risk in my opinion, and not that nice for the dog

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Frothing at the mouth I expect...
Ta for the advice, will ring vet and hopefully just the test will suffice.
The rabies titre test is not required if your going into europe,you just need a health certificate 10 days before you cross the border to the EU .from an approved vet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back