Petition - Save Baltic Wharf CC Site (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Save Baltic Wharf CC Site

All Done,

It was very useful for me when I had to work in Bristol, as i live in Exeter,

we try to visit once every 2 months if you( can get in)

Will be sorry to see ir close :cry::cry:

Ian

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Well we've nearly reached 500 signatures. :thumb:

The campaign is gathering pace. There was a great article on the local radio this morning and we now have a Facebook page and twitter feed.

I've been on the Caravan Club discussion and it looks like members are starting to sign the petition on the council website.

I went round to the campsite today and the wardens have posted up the newspaper article detailing the closure. Hopefully this should fire CC members up.

The ferry company, local shop and pub all have started their own petitions to sign as well.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Is this a petition to get the rest of Bristol included in the demolition plan.?

If so I will gladly sign it, otherwise No Point.

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
Petition signed - good luck! This decision by Bristol council is disgraceful - fight on!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Hi everyone and a great big, enormous thanks to all of you who have signed the petiti

I put the petition on 'the other m'home' site and a lovely person who is a member of both put it on here. I've joined Motorhomefun now and don't know why I didn't before!

I am in touch with Lou and Matt who are Bristol people and don't want to see the site closed and they have been steaming ahead contacting councillors and getting interviews on the radio etc.
As soon as they send me the links I'll put them on here.

If you have contacts on other forums or with the camping industry etc please let them know what happening.

Thanks again
Steph

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
In case anyone's having trouble finding the petition - here it is again
http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/view/Campsite

778 signatures so still a long way to go.

I have done a Freedom of Information request to the Council - wondering if they'll turn it down though for 'commercial confidentiality'. If so we'll just return it and argue!!!

Some more links
Link to BBC radio interview: bit.ly/1tD5a3F
Twitter: @SaveBristolCamp
Link to article on Out and About: Broken Link Removed
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BalticWharfCampsite

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Signed, we need all the city sites we can keep.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
now 784:thumb:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Done. Good luck

You never know it might work. Our local council changed their minds about closing the towns market hall following public pressure.

Have signed petition, but knowing Bristol City Council, the deal has been done already, and there is no way they will be rescinding their decision.

Years ago, there were plans for a super hospital on the outskirts, good motorway access, massive space for car parking etc, £millions spent on feasibility studies etc, but at the final stage BCC said that the old and decrepit Bristol Royal Infirmary would never be shut down as it serviced the Broadmead shopping centre!

We know BCC - they run the docks etc, and when we had a boat, they were an absolute nightmare to deal with.

We also have a house we rent to students in Bristol - having to deal with the local MP, and coping with a very 'green' council that spends no money on infrastructure but expects everyone to cycle/catch the bus into Bristol but with an appalling bus service, we have no hope for the petition at all!

We were both born and brought up in Bristol, but escaped to Saltford (12 miles out, but run by a different council) = bliss!

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
In my opinion, whether or not this development is a "done deal" is irrelevant.

At the very least our petition will publicise the council's plans.

However there is also a reasonable chance that the petition could delay or even reverse the council's decision to close this unique site. Many previous projects for rapid transit, moving the football club etc in Bristol have failed to get off the ground due to a public outcry!

All that is certain is that if we do nothing the scheme will go ahead.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Haven't read all the posts, but have duly signed the petition.

We've had a couple of really nice stays at Baltic Wharf, and would hate to see that facility so near to the city, close down. I hope it's not a done deal by BCC.

Regards,

Jock.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Save Baltic Wharf Website

Hi everyone
This is the new website.
www.savebristolcampsite.com
Please send the link to anyone you think can help

Aldo below are some other links:
Link to BBC radio interview: bit.ly/1tD5a3F
Twitter: @SaveBristolCamp
Link to article on Out and About: Broken Link Removed
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BalticWharfCampsite
Long link to petition: http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/community/petition/2706

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this campaign
Steph and John

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
why not petition for a airs so every one can use it sure that they could find somware near by in steed of THE C.C excusive site. that only CC members can go on

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
why not petition for a airs so every one can use it sure that they could find somware near by in steed of THE C.C excusive site. that only CC members can go on

Hi Bill

It's not an exclusive CC site. Unfortunately though as there is a lack of space there are only about 50 pitches and this does mean that club members' bookings at the start of the year leave very little availability. It's a victim of it's own success! There's always a chance of late availability and there are always some 'drive bys' staying for a night or two.

I feel that it's in such a special location we need to keep it AND have an Aire :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I am afraid to say that I think this petition is a lost cause.

Having read the terms of the e-petition on Bristol City Council web site it would appear that the only people who they will take notice of are those that Live, Work, Own a Business or Study in Bristol are eligible to sign.

So far the take up has been slow and low and if you take out of the Signatures all those that do not meet the aforesaid criteria the eligible number of signatures will be much lower.

Raising the profile of this closure on a local basis is a good idea as then more eligible people may sign the petition, but running across the nation is really a pointless exercise.

I applaud all those who are making the effort and hope you are successful.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I raised this same question on another forum, this was duly passed to the originators of the petition and this was the answer..

StephandJohn said:
Hi Paul and everyone

I asked Matt about the possible problem with the petition and he has clarified below.

Email from Matt who is organising the petition:
we had to clarify with the relevant department that signatures from people outside of Bristol would be accepted on the petition. They said yes and that it was usual that they split out Bristol based and non-Bristol based residents in the report they provide.

Both Lou and I are Bristol residents so we have every right to submit to the council. By its very nature the campsite closure will impact those not living in Bristol too so it's right for those voices to be represented. They do contribute significantly to the local economy after all!

Once we hit our target of 3500 signs, we're planning on putting a presentation together which covers all angles. Hopefully we'll be allowed to present that at the council meeting. So grateful for your support Steph and John! We can do this!!!

Best wishes and happy camping,

Matt

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would be regrettable, but not the end of the world, if this site were closed.

What concerns me more is the motive behind those who started the petition campaign. There is no indication of who they are, their interests in the site or how they benefit one way or the other. The arguments on their "More info" and "Opposition" pages are vague and unconvincing.

I think I'll pass on signing at the moment.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
There really is no ulterior motive behind the campaign.
John and I are motorhomers and first visited B.W. last year and loved it.
When I heard it was closing I emailed Bristol Ferries, SS Great Britain and The Cottage pub to see if they knew anything about it.
Lou, who works for B.Ferries replied. They'd only just heard and were very concerned for their business as well as for tourism in general.
Matt is a young local businessman who heard about the closure from his parents who've been going to BW for years.
He and his parents were on the ferry and got talking to Lou and between them they started the campaign.

There is also nothing 'vague' about the reasons for the closure.
Bristol City did make the decision 'behind closed doors' without consulting anyone.
It is certainly not a good place for a school for all the reasons stated but would make an excellent place for expensive flats (draw your own clonclusions).
Bristol Ferries say that the campsite provided their 'bread and butter' in the winter so it would be sad if they couldn't keep the ferries running over the winter because of the closure.

The Caravan Club had to accept the closure as the land is not theirs and are trying to get the Council to find another site forthem. No luck so far and, in any case, won't be in as good a place for us campers or, probably, the local businesses.

I will make Matt aware of your concerns - maybe he'll put a bit more info on the above on the website.
Sooooo - hope this clarifies and you feel able to sign now.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Flogging a dead horse, having looked at the location, prime site and the chances of a few motorhomers, who don’t even live in the area, of changing the council’s minds is ZERO.
Indeed why the hell are we trying to help the Caravan Club on MHF? If you are that bothered join CC an fight it from there. I doubt if they would help anyone for free.

They have enough money to buy some land and take it from there, not depend on the council to provide land for their use.

Hang on don’t the local authorities have to do the same for Gypsies and Irish Travelers by law?

Oh, yes if you want to book in at the above...
Only avaliable dates are
5th May
15th October
3rd, 13th, 16th. 19th, 26th November
Otherwise its FULL

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There really is no ulterior motive behind the campaign.
John and I are motorhomers and first visited B.W. last year and loved it.
When I heard it was closing I emailed Bristol Ferries, SS Great Britain and The Cottage pub to see if they knew anything about it.
Lou, who works for B.Ferries replied. They'd only just heard and were very concerned for their business as well as for tourism in general.
Matt is a young local businessman who heard about the closure from his parents who've been going to BW for years.
He and his parents were on the ferry and got talking to Lou and between them they started the campaign.

There is also nothing 'vague' about the reasons for the closure.
Bristol City did make the decision 'behind closed doors' without consulting anyone.
It is certainly not a good place for a school for all the reasons stated but would make an excellent place for expensive flats (draw your own clonclusions).
Bristol Ferries say that the campsite provided their 'bread and butter' in the winter so it would be sad if they couldn't keep the ferries running over the winter because of the closure.

The Caravan Club had to accept the closure as the land is not theirs and are trying to get the Council to find another site forthem. No luck so far and, in any case, won't be in as good a place for us campers or, probably, the local businesses.

I will make Matt aware of your concerns - maybe he'll put a bit more info on the above on the website.
Sooooo - hope this clarifies and you feel able to sign now.
I'm not having a pop at you Steph but am always suspicious of pressure groups which set up web sites and campaigns anonymously.

We, too, have stayed at Baltic Wharf so have some knowledge of the area. We didn't use the ferry or any other businesses in the immediate area. In fact I can't remember any businesses apart from the pub, which was very expensive.

I looked on the map at Wapping Wharf and that appears to also be "penned in by a busy road on one side and 11 meter deep water on the other" so hardly safer - and further away from the residential area which suffers the lack of primary school places. In any case, Wapping Wharf is an ongoing development and the council could hardly take back land for a school could they?

If expensive flats are built alongside the school that will bring in a capital sum and ongoing council tax for the council so may be financially better for Bristol residents as a whole.

So, basically, it appears to be a few local businesses wanting to protect their interests rather than the interests of parents who don't have a primary school nearby. I can understand that but is it a valid reason?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Oh dear....what a rant!!!
We are in CC and for the reasons given earlier CC can't do much to change the Council's minds.
Maybe we won't win but that's no reason not to try

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Reading the posts there are some valid arguments on both sides of the fence.

I signed the petition purely on the grounds of trying to encourage an open discussion about these things. Having worked with councils in the past I know just how frequently they do things through their own self-interest and NOT the interests of those they represent.

We are supposed to live in a democracy where those voted in are supposed to 'represent' the interests of those they 'represent'.

If, after an open and fair dialogue, they decide to build a school or luxury flats, then that is fair-dos, but only after everyone has had a chance to voice their concerns.

Personally, I would vote for the equivalent of an aire in every town and city above a certain population. But hey, I have a little self-interest in this and I doubt those who don't have MHs or caravans give two bent three penny bits about having them :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oh dear....what a rant!!!
We are in CC and for the reasons given earlier CC can't do much to change the Council's minds.
Maybe we won't win but that's no reason not to try

Not a rant at all, merely giving some balance to the argument which is not presented on the campaigner's web site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back